1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dan the Man Mock 5.0

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Apr 17, 2014.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

720 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    This will probably be my 2nd to last mock before the draft. I have carefully thought about this. This would be an ideal scenario:

1st Round - Anthony Barr DE - Starting RDE. Could potentially drop to us, and give us a great player.

2nd Round - Dominique Easley DT - IF he checks out medically he could be the steal of the draft. Easily a top 10 player on tape. Extremely disruptive.

3rd Round - Aaron Murray QB - Don't think he gets out of the 3rd round. Gives us one of the best QBs in the draft to groom for a year or two and fully recover from knee injury.

4th Round - Trai Turner G - Only 20 years old, and has all the upside in the world. Can really be developed and fight for a starting spot as soon as this year.

5th Round - Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB - Will give us the speed we need at the weak side linebacker spot. Can really run, and extremely instinctual. One of my favorite late round guys on tape.

6th Round (Trade 2 of 7th Rounders) - Jamea Thomas FS - Huge ceiling, and will only get better. Has the coverage ability we are looking for. Routinely covers the slot receivers. Little undersized, but has the physical tools to make up for it. Will make his mark on special teams, which he is excellent at.

7th Round - Ken Bishop DT - Really nice player who can play 3 tech in this scheme.

7th Round - Matt Hazel WR - Small school guy who produced at Coastal Carolina. Cowboys familiar with.

7th Round - JC Copeland FB/LB - Can play either spot well. Has the size and athletic ability.

7th Round - Silas Redd RB - Big upside, low risk.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,083 Messages
    5,403 Likes Received
    I like the players.

I think Turner could go higher.

I don't see the fit with Copeland.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Take out Murray and I would love it.

We also might have to take Turner in the 3rd, which I'd have no problem with.
    brooksey1 likes this.
  4. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,474 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I like it. I would like to see another defensive end. Ken Bishop looks like a beast on tape, we may have to take him earlier.
  5. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I think we gamble with Easley -we seem to like those high impact players who are injured in the 2nd round. I would prefer to trade down and take Shazier and pick up another draft pick though. Everything else looks great to me.
    chagus likes this.
  6. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,926 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Shazier won't make it out of the 2nd rnd. Dude it's a linebacker who runs sub 4.4! Someone is going to take a chance.
  7. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,157 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I like all the players. As xwaker said it appears Turner goes a round higher.
    I would love Murray
  8. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,311 Messages
    1,747 Likes Received
    First two picks have extreme potential but are huge risks. This could be a home run or a strike out draft. No real certainties.
    snapper likes this.
  9. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,711 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Why not with Copeland as a lead blocker?
  10. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,978 Messages
    286 Likes Received
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,921 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    I really like the late round picks here. Good job
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,083 Messages
    5,403 Likes Received
    With Garrett's defense, they would have preferred a FB that is also a very good receiving threat. Millard would be perfect in that role.

Linehan only used his FB an average of about 2 snaps per game, IIRC.

Most NFL offenses that use a FB want that multidimensional player, not just a battering ram. There were some good blocking FBs in the league last year that had hard time keeping a job.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  13. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,711 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I agree with you on Millard, since he can be kind of a fullback/h-back receiving threat, Copeland would be a more traditional FB
  14. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,133 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    That's what I am saying - trade down in the first round and make shazier a later 1st round pick and then take easley