1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dane Brugler 2015 mock....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, May 11, 2014.

1. mattmakaha

mattmakaha New Member

4 Messages
    2 Likes Received

As I mentioned in another thread, since I'm from Hawaii, it's still hard for me to believe we finally have a guy who was born and raised in Hawaii that could be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft. That has never happened before. Yes, there was Manti Teo, but he was never considered a top 5 pick, and of course, he slid anyway in the draft. Frankly speaking, Mariota is twice the athlete Teo is/was.

Not to mention, when we do get Hawaii players drafted, they typically are OL or DL, which is where you find most of us Polynesians playing football. It's pretty rare at the skill positions--the last guy from Hawaii who was decent was Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala who played RB for the Steelers. Actually, he was more than decent, he was an awesome athlete (he was the brother of the local legend Nick Ma'afala who you will find on YouTube bench pressing 617 pounds), but Chris was so damned fragile, he missed like 1/3 of games he should have played in, both throughout college and with the Steelers. But I digress, Mariota as a QB? Hawaii will be proud indeed.....
    JDSTAR likes this.
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,361 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I thought I read that Hawaii actually has an impressive ratio of NFL players per population. I think they're something like 10th in producing total NFL players, and when you consider the size of the state it's even more impressive.
  3. mattmakaha

mattmakaha New Member

4 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Yes, but as I mentioned before, most are on the OL or DL, rarely skill position players, and 1st rounders are rare. One of the top 5 picks in the draft? No, never happened before for a Hawaii born player.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Read more, post less....it makes you look less foolish
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,799 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    page views, that's why
  6. Death Star

Death Star Member

336 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nah.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    am i the only one not impressed with the QBs next year? i am hoping Romo doesnt get hurt this year.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,596 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Mariotta scares me. He's really thin (although he recently bulked up some) and I have yet to see him make all of the NFL throws.

Winston has some baggage.

I'm big on Brett Hundley though. I also like the way Bryce Petty plays.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,799 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    Its so hard to judge Winston because nobody really knows what happened with that girl, and the crab legs thing is just whatever. I think he's like Dez in that, probably a good guy just a bit misguided and immature. I really like the confidence that Winston plays with.

I haven't been a fan of Mariotta or Hundley much at all. Granted, I don't watch a ton of Pac 12 games, but both seem like the just get skittish and falter under pressure.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,365 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    When's the last time a Team went from worst to 1st. see Texans.
  11. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,408 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Aikman
  12. Hardline

Hardline Benched

733 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Way too early.
  13. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,025 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    If we take a cb in the first I swear...

I've got nothing I'll still root for the boys
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I doubt we will be picking at 16 next year.
  15. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,418 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I agree, more like 11th.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,799 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    Assuming someone is there.

I think that was the plan this year as well.
  17. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,995 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    We'll be picking somewhere between 13-17 imo. So around where we were this year again. DL, QB, LB, S. Those are our most pressing needs. I hope it's DL or S, personally.
  18. waving monkey

1,408 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    I am beginning to think we have to go high for another CB
  19. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,596 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    As frustrating as that would be, and Risen Star would probably going on a killing spree if we did, but it is possible.
    If Brandon Carr is waived after this season, it actually frees up approx. $566k in cap room for 2015. Although, that isn't much cap space, it also means Jerry doesn't have to shell out $8M in actual salary and it gets Carr completely off the books by 2016. Another option would be to make Carr a June 1 cut, which would free up about $8M in cap room but he'd still be on the books for juts under $5M in 2016.

Trading or releasing Claiborne after this season is a wash, it doesn't create any cap room or cause an additional cap hit. Like with Carr, it does mean Jerry does not write him a check for $2,607,887 of paid salary next year.

So if Carr and Claiborne don't turn things around this year, the Cowboys can move on from both of them. Combined it only frees up $566k in cap room but Jerry saves himself over $10M in real money he wouldn't have to pay.
    waving monkey likes this.
  20. waving monkey

1,408 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    frustrating