1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Daredevil Felix Baumgartner survives 17-mile plunge

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Next stop: the edge of space.

Daredevil adventurer Felix Baumgartner has successfully jumped from from 96,640 feet (29,455 meters) from a custom balloon -- the last test required before his planned 23-mile freefall from the edge of space can take place.

On that jump, Baumgarther will achieve supersonic speeds.

The test jump, completed Wednesday morning over Roswell, N.M., involved 3:48 minutes of free fall leading up to a 10 minute and 36 seconds decent. A spokesman for the Red Bull Stratos event, as the jump has been branded, could not provide additional details on the 17-mile leap.

"It felt completely different at 90,000 feet," Baumgartner told the AP. "There is no control when you exit the capsule. There is no way to get stable."

Baumgartner's test jump had been tentatively set for Mon., July 23, following a review of nine years of local weather data. But two days of storm clouds led to the two-day delay.

In compliance with U.S. Federal Aviation Administration regulations, the Red Bull Stratos team could not launch the balloon if skies were half overcast or if the horizontal visibility was less than 3 miles.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...17-mile-plunge/?intcmp=features#ixzz21fHtg8NK
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Brass doesn't seem quite enough for this guy :D
  3. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    1 mile every 5 secs that is hauling
  4. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Dude has titanium stones
  5. Doomsday101

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I bet he was the guy that we could dare him to do anything as a kid and he would do it while we sat back and laughed. :laugh2:
  6. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I bet Sarge would do it if you tossed a case of PBR out first :laugh1:
  7. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,510 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Okay. Why can't I find his methodology for landing safely? Is it a series of chutes that open?
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Once he hits the atmosphere during his free fall friction will eventually decelerate his speeds. The deceleration should cause him to end up falling at terminal velocity(120 mph), which is the typical speed for any sky diver.

I read about similar type theorized space dives in Popular Science several years ago:

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2007-06/high-dive
  9. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,232 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    if the temperature is -70, why would his blood boil? freezing seems to be the intuitive outcome to me.
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,232 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    also, he will be using a drogue chute so technically he wont be in a free fall
  11. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,050 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    The boiling point of liquids diminishes as the pressure is reduced. So, the higher his altitude, the more likely to boil.

At 63,000 ft, the blood begins to boil at 98 F and the higher you go, the lower the temperature.
  12. joseephuss

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    That is interesting. The boiling point of blood at sea level is 256.2 degrees Fahrenheit. The boiling point of water goes down 1 degree Fahrenheit for every 500 ft increase in altitude, so it should be similar for blood. At 23 miles, that is a 242 degree difference, so the boiling point of blood at that altitude should be 14.2 degrees. The -70 degrees is obviously lower than that, but if it were an instantaneous exposure to the air his normal body temp of 98.6 degrees would be enough to boil his blood. That is what I come up with.
  13. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,050 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    I am still trying to grasp the neg 70 in relation to the atmo pressure. I read somewhere -70 was in C but that would put it at -94 F. Also read the -70 was already in F, kind of confusing. I cant find anywhere on the internet that the temperature at 23 miles is anywhere close to those temperatures. Still searching......
  14. joseephuss

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    From the article: "With air temperatures of -70 degrees Fahrenheit"
  15. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is a significant decrease in pressure at those altitudes and as pressure decreases so do boiling points. Thus, at extremely high altitudes it takes far less energy from heat to boil one's blood.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,269 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Pressure......or lack of, I believe.

Think of a pressure cooker......or reverse actually.
  17. Hoofbite

31,269 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    I'm betting they are going to heat the suit.

Can't imagine they are going to just let him suffer through minutes at -70 and hope he pulls through.
  18. Hoofbite

31,269 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    It's crazy to think that he'll be slowed down that much. Terminal velocity.

I read that the claim of killing someone with a penny from the top of Empire State is false because the penny won't reach a high enough speed.

Not sure if it is true or not.
  19. joseephuss

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Definitely. The article just mentioned that the blood boiling would occur if his skin was exposed just to provide an example of the extreme conditions.
  20. joseephuss

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Shoot a bullet from a high powered rifle straight in the air. Let's say it leaves the rifle at the speed of sound. It reaches a stopping point and returns back to Earth, but it doesn't reach the same velocity it had when it left the rifle. It only gets to its terminal velocity. Physics is some crazy stuff.