1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Arkin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,449 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    We have saved a roster spot for him ...... so what sort of production, if any, do we get out of him in 2013?
  2. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I was wondering the same thing about Arkin. The descriptions of Arkin in college were of his "strength", "power" and finishing his blocks (sometimes with knockdowns). But then I was reading about him needing more time in the weight room, being undersized, overpowered, etc. The two descriptions of him don't match. In the games I saw with him, he seemed to get banged around

It sounds like maybe his blocking style in college was very aggressive and willfully nasty but maybe his mentality was writing checks that were physically revoked in the NFL. If they can build his overall power and keep the nasty streak, I would imagine he would have some value as a swing player (I think he can play all positions on the line).

I wonder what the progress is with his weight and strength.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Arkin's only shot to make the team is going to be at center. He is the fastest lineman on the roster but he doesn't have any "anchor" in his game at all.

I'd be very surprised if he becomes a starter and I was someone that liked Arkin's chances heading into this year.

This is his final year to prove his worth.
  4. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    We need to treat this offseason as if Arkin and Costa are not on the roster in 2013. Placing hope in either of them will cost the team greatly.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    I haven't read anyone who covers this team that has anything positive to say about where Arkin is right now. Broaddus practically writes him off as a wasted pick.
  6. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    Or better yet, release them from the roster.

Flush and jiggle the handle. Don't forget the air freshener.
  7. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I expect the same amount of production we got out of 2011 and 2012 - nothing. He's a great example of a guy that gets a roster spot because he was a draft pick. But I can't imagine him keeping a roster spot in 2013. We'll have newer, better, draft picks this year to take his roster spot.
  8. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can he be switched to defense in any capacity? Depending on his measurables, If he likes to hit and has quickness he can shoot gaps to the ball carrier - perhaps as a rotation guy in some defensive packages?
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,860 Messages
    1,673 Likes Received
    I was about to post the same thing. That's not to say he doesn't have potential and maybe another off-season will help, but at this point, he's done nothing and I have read nothing that would suggest he would likely make the team next season.

/reality
  10. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    You just get a completely different vibe when his name is mentioned to the guys covering the team as opposed to someone like Leary. They at least consider Leary a possibility but Arkin is seen almost as a camp invite only.

I don't know. I won't lie and say I hated the pick. I didn't. I thought he was a pretty decent small school prospect worthy of going in the 4th round. I guess the guy just isn't strong enough to play in the NFL.
  11. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    My hope is that they draft Barrett Jones. When was the last time Dallas had a good center again? Yeah.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Small school. No real competition. That explains pretty much the whole deal
  13. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    Well, Gurode was a good center for a number of years.

Then you'd go back to Ray Donaldson, maybe. Stepnoski was a shell of his former self when he came back to Dallas.
  14. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    Too broad a brush, IMO. Larry Allen came from a small school.
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    I was explaining how a guy who was evaluated as playing with strength and power could be so physically weak by nfl standards. Allen is irrelevant to this discussion
  16. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think Arkin has some talent. We shall see.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,814 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Taking flyers on 4th rounder Guards, you should be able to get a backup Guard with a 4th round pick. Funny to hear how the tune changes once reality sets in. There is some fatal flaw in how Dallas approaches OL in the draft and their value on the team.

David Arkin - G - Cowboys
    Owner Jerry Jones was "real impressed" by rookie LG David Arkin in Thursday's preseason opener.
    Jones insists there would be no hesitation to start Arkin as well as rookie RT Tyron Smith up front in Week 1. The coaches like Arkin's tenacity and his ability to pull out on run blocks. He's battling veteran Montrae Holland (back) for the starting job.
    Related: Montrae Holland
    Source: San Antonio Express-News Sun, Aug 14, 2011 02:06:00 PM

The Cowboys' official website feels that G David Arkin is not a lock for the 2012 roster.
    The team's fourth-round pick a year ago was unable to deliver when given an opportunity to start in the pre-season, and ended up not playing a single snap during the regular season. The Cowboys are expected add depth to the offensive line via this month's draft, which would put Arkin squarely on the roster bubble.

ESPN Dallas' Calvin Watkins projects 2011 fourth-round pick David Arkin as the Cowboys' Week 1 starter at right guard.
    While it makes sense in light of Mackenzy Bernadeau's recent hip surgery, the projection is notable because the Cowboys' website has projected Arkin as a bubble player in training camp. Arkin has some intriguing tools, but the organization believed he "wasn't physically ready for the NFL" in 2011. The Cowboys' interior offensive line could be a trouble spot in 2012.
    Source: Calvin Watkins on Twitter Thu, May 17, 2012 11:46:00 AM
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,594 Messages
    5,765 Likes Received
    Just bring em all to training camp and see what happens.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,269 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    I was listening to Talkin' Cowboys once and Mickey asked Broaddus about Leary and Broaddus actually laughed out loud.

We've got some stars in house guys, we don't need to draft oline! :laugh2:

[IMG]

You make a strong argument.
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    How did you evaluate his talent, exactly? It's not like he could beat out a castaway from the Bengals or a guy who never started.