1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Arkin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 2, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Then explain Jacob Rogers. Size of school is irrelevant too the discussion.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    I don't think we can expect anything at this point. Hopefully, he works hard this offseason to overcome his deficiences and fulfills his potential. But at this point, that's all it is ... hope.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Rogers was injured. Totally different situation.

Arkin had scouts report he looked strong. He looked that way because he played against weak competition. Whenever you draft small school guys-particularly later round picks-you expect they need strength work.

You do know you can't just throw out some name and expect that it is relevant to your argument, right?
  4. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I have to agree with "Wolfpack"; Arkin has to show something in camp or he is gone. Our scouting of the offensive line needs to be examined. We need to up grade the line in order to take advantage of the skill players we have on Offence.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    From what I remember his school had no WT program or strenght coach. They barely had a weight room. SO it was thought he would need at least a year to gain strength and maybe two. But nothing so far. Beginning to look like even the Great God Woicik can do nothing for him.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Wow, even Burm agrees with me.

Stop the freaking presses.
  7. J-DOG

J-DOG Active Member

2,135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Arkin will not be on this team next season. Free is adios as well.
  8. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    To me, it really comes down to this. We need a massive improvement from the offensive line next season and keeping project offensive linemen with "maybe" potential on the roster is just not worth the gamble.

It is rare that a project offensive linemen ever develops into a dominant starter. At best, they will end up a solid starter, but the chances of that are rather slim. When you have a solid starting offensive line, you can afford to keep one or two project offensive linemen on the team, but we don't have that luxury. Now if Arkin can be put on the practice squad, then perhaps they can keep him around a little longer. Otherwise, I just don't see the Cowboys keeping him around.

/reality
  9. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I hope that is not your actual position.

The cost to keep them through training camp is minimal, and we have no real replacements (at least for Costa). Nor will their presence on the roster restrain the Cowboys one iota from bringing in possible replacements through free agency or the draft.

February is not the time for releasing minimum-cost players.

At some point the roster can become overcrowded at a position or a player can become a progress-stopper for a better prospect. We are not at either of those points, yet.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,155 Messages
    4,341 Likes Received
    It's been long enough. Either he starts throwing guys around in July or he hits the bricks.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    My argument is pretty simple, honestly. I thought he showed good technique in the NFL early last year. We didn't sed much of him after that, but I liked what I saw early on. He has good awareness. You can see he has the head for the position. Physically, he appears to be a late bloomer to me. But he plays with a sense of experience. I agree that he needs to hit the weight room and probably some roids, I mean let's be real here, to come back and compete for a spot. But the player looked good. He had some good moments. And you have to consider he's young and can get better over time.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    He can play center and guard, so he makes for a good depth guy. That's a plus in his corner.
  13. burmafrd

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    he has had two years to build his strength. And still nothing. and as has been pointed out NO one even on the team is talking about him. Handwriting is on the wall.
  14. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Give the guy one more offseason to put his game together. He could be a late bloomer.
  15. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I think they do bring arkin in and see what happens. He has had ( WHAT WILL BE) 3 offseasons to make his move. Im pulling for him, just not counting on him.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'd rather see the Cowboys use that roster spot on another player. This is why Landry had his three year rule. You can't stick on the roster forever with potential.
  17. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    That's where I'm at with him. I had no problem with the draft pick (it wasn't a reach, he was picked about where he'd been projected to go in the draft) and have been rooting for him. But this is it for him, I can't see him being on the team if he can't make a real contribution this season.
  18. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that at all. No name linemen develop all the time around the league especially at the interior positions. We are just really bad at it but other places are taking fourth round and lower players who are becoming excellent players by their mid to late twenties.
  19. burmafrd

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    it does not happen that often that lower round players become pro bowlers. Now and then but you look at the Pro Bowl Linemen over the last 10 years and you will find not many of them taken round 4 and later. Some of course but the majority- the large majority- are high round picks.
  20. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,710 Messages
    1,533 Likes Received

:signmast:

Second!