1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Arkin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 2, 2013.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,157 Messages
    1,868 Likes Received
    I have no problem letting him stick around for the offseason and compete.

I just don't want his presence to affect decision-making in any way on the subject of the offensive line, including the eternally-optimistic and ever-mistaken owner's appraisal of the situation.
  2. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    There were eight last year and seven this year. It is about 40% of the group and some of the pro bowl is self fulfilling draft profesy. Ie pouncey is good because that is the only center fans have heard of.

Especially at the interior spots it is math. There are 156 opening day starters and about 3-5 top two round picks per year.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    and some of them that were low round picks are also there on inertia.

and I did point out to look at the last 10 years not the last couple
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    5,962 Likes Received
    I reviewed the Pro Bowl rosters over the past 10 years. There are 6 selections at OG per year including the alternates.

The average number of R4 and lower OGs in the Pro Bowl over the past 10 years is 20%. That is slightly more than 1 of the 6 Pro Bowl spots per year on average. There have been 3 in some years and zero in other years.

The average number of OGs selected in R1-R3 over the past 10 years is ~8 per year. This includes players listed as OT and OC that moved to OG in the NFL. If you conservatively estimate that good players should play at least 5 years, then there would be 5x8=40 OGs in the league in any given year that were originally drafted in rounds 1-3. Note, this is an estimate. Some will get cut before 5 years, but many will play longer than 5 years.

If 5 R1-R3 OGs make the Pro Bowl, then that is 5 of 40 or 12.5%.

Summary:

20% of Pro Bowl Guards were drafted in R4 or later.

12.5% of available R1-R3 Guards are selected to the Pro Bowl.

Other:

The Pro Bowl is probably not the best method of determining the success of players in general. If a team gets a multi-year starter in R4 or later, I would consider that a successful draft pick.

5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    someone like Kosier is fine with me. So by that measure yes.
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    It does happen but on teams with solid offensive lines that are not pressed to have their 6-8 (depth) offensive linemen ready to replace struggling starters. That said, if it happens around the league as often as you say (I don't agree with that), then it would be smarter to go sign or trade for those proven players than keep multiple project OL players on the roster when we need upgrades at 3 different OL positions.

/reality
  7. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,320 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Arkin played at Missouri State. Question answered.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    There shouldn't ever be a no-name lineman that a team hasn't scouted. The Cowboys know these players, or should know these them, but they do a poor job of evaluating talent when it comes to OL. Dallas has been known to grade olinemen a round or two lower than other teams. Other teams can develop these linemen because they can tell if the player has the tslent to develop.
    Dallas is not in a position to afford waiting on these project olinemen at this time anyway. If they had a solid starting unit and some decent scouting, they could take time to develop some later round picks on the line. The Cowboys simply stink with their scouting in this area.
  9. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,094 Messages
    979 Likes Received
    Why is it that every 4th rounder that we have each year we select a project from a small school? Yet it keeps failing year after year after year. Just shows how much of a joke we are in drafting.
  10. MissouriCowboy

1,320 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    I saw this guy play in college he was ok at D-1AA LEVEL. Not a NFL TYPE OF PLAYER.
  11. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,617 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    I'm hoping for Womack or Jones, either one would be a solid pick and should go a long ways in solidifying the interior. Replace Free with a decent FA and then things would looking up for the OL.
  12. MissouriCowboy

1,320 Messages
    418 Likes Received
  13. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,309 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    I still have my fingers crossed.

Whatever David Arkin is, he's still on the roster as I'm typing.

He's only a 4th round pick.

The team was quick to blow its nose recently with ILB Jason Williams (3rd rd, '09), OT Robert Brewster (3rd rd, '09), S Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (4th rd, '10) and CB Josh Thomas (5th rd, '11).

Thomas was the next selection after Arkin in '11 and he didn't even survive final cuts. The other three all got Turked early on in their second seasons with the Cowboys.

Dallas isn't afraid to wide its hands clean asap when a draft choice simply isn't ready to make the roster.

Why is Arkin still here?

Am I wrong to think the small school project must have shown something positive to invite the team's patience?

When did Arkin compete against them?

Ark had to move to C early in camp when the top three options were all injured. Kevin Kowalski never practiced a snap, Bill Nagy was quickly lost to a high ankle sprain and Phil Costa missed the majority of camp, too.

LG Mackenzy Bernadeau missed the entire off-season and a good bit of camp following hip and knee surgeries. RG Nate Livings also went down in camp.

There wasn't any competition going on with the OL dropping like flies, it was a complete fiasco.

Jerry Jones pimped Andre Holmes as a 3rd receiver candidate last off-season and DE Clifton Geathers also got talked up as being capable of making a push.

In the end, it's just talk.

One week Bryan Broaddus has Doug Free cut, the next he's firm on keeping Free and the next he's back to talking about cutting Free again.

Arkin and all the other hopefuls have to earn a spot come summer.

I hope we won't have wasted three years of development time like with QB Stephen McGee, but it may end the same way.

I hope Arkin is physically and mentally ready to put his best foot forward in 2013 because I'm a huge advocate of upgrading the OL this off-season.

Head coach Jason Garrett loves talking about creating competition on the roster whenever possible.

Bring it on.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    5,962 Likes Received

Just move him to FB/TE.

He has good speed/quickness.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    To add insult to injury, they drafted the guy with bad knees coming out of college. Geez, dont ya think knees might be important to a NFL player?
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The speed, quickness and footwork are the reasons he is still on the roster. He gets good position, but his lack of power prevents him from finishing his blocks. He has a good frame and size, but he needs to gain muscle mass and power. I don't think he is going to be able to gain enough strength to make it. With his footwork, tackle may be a better position, but I doubt it.
  17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Larry Allen played at Sonoma St., Erik Williams at Central State, Nate Newton at Florida A&M. I could go on, but I think the point has been made.
  18. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    While he may have had two years, he's only had one full off-season.

I really don't see the problem with keeping him around until training camp and see how it goes.

It's not as if we have a boatload of young talent waiting to step up.

I don't have that much hope he'll make the grade but again I don't see why we couldn't let him sink or swim at camp.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    I think this is a very important off season for Arkin, while I would not write him off at this stage I would say he is at a cross road in his career. I would love to see him establish himself as a starter or at the least become dependable backup. That would go a long way in helping this team.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,622 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Actually the only point that has been made is about how people see hits but ignore misses.

If you look at the guys playing in the NFL, the prototype is a guy from a strong college program. Certainly there are exceptions, but they are far less common than you make them out to be.

Most guys from small schools haven't faced any legitimate competition. That makes selecting them a bit like selecting a high school player in MLB. You are betting on development but can very rarely expect the guy to step in and play well right off the bat.

Small school guys are great but most need time to develop. Nate Newton had three years of professional experience before he was starting (two years in the USFL and one year as a backup in Dallas). He was four years out of college.

Erik Wiliams and Larry Allen are exceptions -- and both were likely the best small college OL to come out of that generation. Williams would have been getting inducted to the HOF if he continued his pre-accident level of play. You can't simply point to the exceptions and think they are relevant to all small college players