1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Arkin, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,644 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The unwritten rule of giving 3 years for a player to develop is true for Arkin. No excuses, its make or break time for Arkin.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,254 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    it is a reasonable rule given that the guy is from such a small school and that we may have grossly underestimated his physical condition.

Me, I think we get a little ahead of ourselves scouting small college guys. It always seems like Jerrry is trying to look super smart by landing the next Larry Allen or something.

Small school guys are long shots. That's a great UDFA pickup but not so great as a 4th round pick
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,202 Messages
    3,865 Likes Received
    Players that get drafted in the 4th round and later, almost always have some issue(s); otherwise, they would have been drafted earlier.

The team must decide which issues they are going to accept before drafting that player.

John Phillips is an example of a player that was a reasonably safe bet to contribute to a team; however, his upside was limited and the possibility of him ever becoming a starter was minimal.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from Phillips, was AOA. He was a big risk in terms of ever contributing to the team; however, if he did "get it", then his upside was very high.

Basically the primary categories of issues are:
    1. Limited Physical upside.
    2. High upside, but underdeveloped player due to small school, etc..
    3. Character issues.
    4. Medical issues.

I think that you want a mix of category #1 and #2 in the 4th round and later.

It's nice that John Phillips contributed; however, you only need a limited number of those types of players. You need to leave room on the roster for high upside hit/miss players like Miles Austin.

Rounds 4 and later are also a tempting time to consider players in categories #3 and #4.

4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    BS on the one full offseason. That playing season he was inactive and thus able to work out and get stronger the whole year. Then he had all last year and still could not get on the field during the season.

You do realize that the lockout only lasted 3 months? AND during that time there was nothing stopping him from working out? Here it is almost 3 years later and you still want to use that excuse?
  5. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,773 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I don't think you understand how weight training in the NFL works.
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,575 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Arkin is a lost cause.he had 2 seasons to get stronger but not only did he fail to do so but he must have been so bad in practice that he wasnt even worth a spot in the game day roster.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,202 Messages
    3,865 Likes Received
    You also have to consider Garrett's mindset which was heavily influenced by Hudson Houck. He likes to have veteran OLinemen when possible. It was reported that Callahan had to plead with him to get Parnell into a rotation with Free.

They didn't consider Arkin a Center and they had Dockery as the top reserve OG. They didn't really get to evaluate Arkin at OG in training camp due him being forced into action at Center. Once they started the season with Dockery on the roster, Arkin had near Zero chance of contributing unless multiple injuries occurred at OG.

I don't have faith that Arkin is going to make the cut in training camp; however, I don't think you can judge him based on not being active in 2012.

It's the same mentality that somehow caused Ogletree to get more snaps than Harris.
  8. AbeBeta

25,254 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    Not hitting on small college prospects doesn't make you a joke. I think we actually do a pretty solid job in scouting the small colleges as is evidenced by our numerous successes with small college players.

I think the where we are falling short is that we overvalue these guys. No one would really care about Arkin if he stuck around as a 6th rounder. But people freak about about 1st-4th round picks
  9. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    clearly you don't

When not activated you do have more time to W/T and he had the whole season to work on it. No injuries from games and less practice work as well-especially under the new CBA rules . So he has had enough time frankly to show something which he has not.

Sure bring him to camp. Just do not expect anything from him
  10. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    would love to know if any other team had him projected as high as we did.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,477 Messages
    6,580 Likes Received
    Arkin was a consensus 4th round grade by every draft source I looked at. He was not some Matt Johnson reach.
  12. AbeBeta

25,254 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    You sure about that?

He was on Gosselin's top 100 - but all that means is that Gosselin knew we liked him in the 4th
  13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,839 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    No one is saying you can apply it to ALL small college players. My point is just the opposite of what you're saying and what others are saying in this thread. You can't discount a player ONLY because they played at a small school. To do so is very short sighted.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    He he doesn't have the drive to lift without a coach, he needs to be gone anyway. Do you think these guys went into the lockout without some type of program to follow concerning his strength and conditioning? If he did not, he has no desire to improve.
  15. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,773 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Even if that were true, he'd have what? An extra 16 days? It's not like he was on the practice squad. You simply don't lift the same during the season that you would in the offseason.

lol @ less practice work. Is he supposed to go lift while the rest of the team is on the field at Valley Ranch?
  16. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,026 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Work out and get stronger where though?

It wasn’t at the Cowboys facilities.

If everyone could improve sufficiently outside an NFL team weight program, then there wouldn’t be much need for a team to have strength and conditioning program now would there?

Again show me the harm of him competing at this year’s camp?

If he succeeds then great, if not then move on.
  17. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    work out and get stronger where? I guess if you cannot go to the boys facilities you do nothing? In that case dump the bum now.
  18. IrishAnto

1,026 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    So Arkin is the only rooky player not to turn up NFL ready!

You say the lockout was only 3 months.

Well if those 3 months aren’t important then why bother with the off-season at all?

Just turn up for training camp coz I’m sure everyone will be in tip top shape, especially the rookies.

And again tell me the cost of letting him compete in training camp?
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    By your post I gather that you think a player can not workout and improve unless it is monitored by the Cowboys coaches at the Cowboys facilities. That simply isn't true. Arkin knew that he needed to get stronger and add muscle mass. With these goals in mind, there are many options if he couldn't work with Cowboy coaches. It only took effort by Arkin to find a trainer that could help him reach these goals.
  20. IrishAnto

1,026 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Who says he didn't try his best to get stronger?

Do you know for certain?

Do all rookies start their playing careers NFL ready?

Is the biggest improvement in a player not between the first and second year?

Maybe just maybe it might take him longer than others especially since he came from a small school.

I have my doubts he’ll make it, however I don’t get all the hate.

Whose progress is he stopping if he gets his final chance this training camp?