1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Arkin: future starter at RG?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSport78, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,377 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    yep im more comfortable going with vets than a undrafted FA with a lifetime knee problem (thats all hype) and a 4th round bust . Go watch practice instead of relying on tweets. There is no chance this will be the starting lineup .
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    LOL
  3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,541 Messages
    1,080 Likes Received
    Are you implying that you are watching practices in Oxnard?
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,462 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Well, learn how to read because I never "projected" them as the starting lineup. Go take your 291 messages and take an english class, rook!
    iceman117 likes this.
  5. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,377 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    Indeed, Leary hasn't even been practicing and this guy (OP ) thinks he can start lol
  6. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    This is well put, and I think your exataly right, but I would have to say this year is the year to decide if he is going to be something or not
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Arkin and the rest need to show it on the field. I do think year 2 in Callahan scheme will benefit the OL players I just hope this year we can find the best 5 and they can stay in the lineup long enough to build a cohesive unit. In my view OL play is not about the 1 but 5 working as 1.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm thinking this is his year to either do it, or find some place else to play.

I do think he's improved a lot though.
  9. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

622 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I think that despite what most people here or on Talkin' Cowboys say, the coaches see something in Arkin. If he was as bad as what some people say, (I even heard someone say that Ray Dominguez has a better shot to make the roster) then he would be on the first plane home, but he's taking reps with the first team, even when there are guys who are supposedly better than him healthy.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    If Arkin can be a valuable back up that'd be a huge step up.
    As a 4th round guy he needs to at least earn a spot on the roster as a guy who can help in case of injury.

I get that fans hate the guy but the team has kept him because they see something there worth developing.
    Its not like they are scared to cut mid-round draft picks since they do it basically every year.
    His salary would be really nice as a 3rd OG. Maybe this time next year that is his role.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Not I.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Not really by me either... but pretty much everybody watching last year's camp was saying that he couldn't anchor and was getting pushed back into the QB's lap.

However, this year, pretty much everything I've heard on Arkin has been positive. They're saying he's been anchoring well against the bull rush, and that he has looked mobile, and clearly knows what he's doing this year.

He has improved by leaps and bounds. The question now is: Has he improved enough to win a starting job?
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    i posted in another thread that I could easily see Leary and Arkin as our starting guards week one. Arkin has zero competition at RG right now and quite frankly hasn't done anything to lose the job. His only potential competition is Killer (hurt) and Mack (hurt). Seeing how Mack was terrible last year, I don't see how Arkin could be worse if he truly has improved in the strength department. Leary has been getting reps almost exclusively at LG and seems a better fit that Livings.
    AsthmaField likes this.
  14. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind seeing a starting line of: Smith - Leary - Frederick - Arkin - Free

If Arkin has truly gained enough strength, and Leary knows what he's doing, then that could be a pretty good line-up. With Free being the "old man" of the group, we would be set for a good, long time on the OL. *knocks on wood*
  15. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    If you watched the video, Frederick, Costa, Arkin, Smith and Free looked pretty good throughout. Kowalski was getting beat quite a bit, Livings was putrid and the backup tackles were awful. Those first 5 plus Leary are probably the only guys in the running to start. Bernadeau is still MIA.