1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Garrard to Dolphins

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,859 Messages
    2,641 Likes Received
    I take that to mean Alex Smith stays in San Fran.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Great signing by Miami.
  3. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,570 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    head scratcher...
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,775 Messages
    4,846 Likes Received
    He has what, one good year?
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Called this yesterday. I pretty much just remembered he didn't retire yet and put two and two together. They will draft someone, but Henne is gone, so it's really just Matt Moore under contract. You have to bring someone in.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    yup, it seems like it
  7. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Really? I doubt he beats out Matt Moore.
  8. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Corrected
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    David Garrard took the Jags to within 20 yards of an AFC Championship game against the 2007 vaunted Patriots.

The Jags!
  10. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Poor 49ers not only did they lose out on Manning but now they have to keep Smith.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,098 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    God, I'd hate to be a Dolphins fan. Those guys are running in place, fast.

Garrard was a really underappreciated QB for a while in JAX, but coming off of back surgery, I don't know.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,098 Messages
    6,916 Likes Received
    I know this is tongue-in-cheek, but Alex Smith gets a bit of a bum rap, too. He can't throw downfield on the move to save his life, but he knows how to control the ball, and he's working with some pretty weak talent out there in that wideout group.

With Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, and DeSean Jackson available, I'm not sure Mario Manningham does enough for SF for next year. He's a good signing, but they need more WR help. I'm really surprised they didn't make a stronger play for Chaz Schilens.
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,888 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I always thought Garrard was solid but I don't know how much he has left in the tank, especially using Miami's talent (or lack there of).
  14. phillycard

phillycard Member

667 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Who are their wideouts? I know they have Davon Bess, but who after that?
  15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,972 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I dunno. Michael Crabtree isn't really a bum. I'd say the combo of Crabtree and Manningham is actually pretty good.
  16. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,125 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I think he is strictly there for vet presence. I don't think he will beat out Matt Moore.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,092 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    I agree. When you look at production, he is better than Smith and many of the others in that tier (Orton too, for that matter). Problelm is that he is older too. Of course, he left a place with no WRs and went to one just as bad without Marshall. So good luck. lol He may not even start anyway.
    One of the truly great guys in the NFL though.

I think Miami may now draft a QB in one of the 1st three rounds.
  18. John813

John813 Active Member

541 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    It's getting bad.

Some take having a owner/GM in Jerry for advantage.

For all his blunders, he is willing to spend his money to try to see the team win.

Ross is a stupid penny pincher who is only trying to make a profit off the team.
    :bang2:

After Davone Bess, it's Brian Hartline, Roberto Wallace, Marlen Moore and Clyde Gates.
    Don't forget the Great Anthony Fasano at TE.
  19. DFWJC

23,092 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    Unless they draft a WR very early...even then...yikes.
    I'm not sure Garrard should have taken that gig. But he's not getting any younger, so I'm sure he didn't want to wait it out into the season. He's a big family guy, so maybe being close to home was a factor. Also, he would be a backup elsehwere but at least has a chance to start there if Moore folds.
  20. DFWJC

23,092 Messages
    2,216 Likes Received
    It looks like garrard may end his career as never having a top tier WR--in his entire career.
    Maybe the best he had was Mike Sims-Walker. But MSW has done nothing since leaving Jax so maybe even he was really only a 3rd tier WR.

Oh well DG, can't complain, he made great money and got to start in the NFL for a few years....so you can't feel too bad for the guy. It's just, it's very hard to tell how good he could have been when he never once had a great or even very good WR.

He only had a couple of very good years and the rest were average, so maybe he's just mediocre regardless.