1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David Nelson's Antics

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Star Guard_31, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

208 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I'm surprised just how little attention this is receiving. Maybe I missed it and there's another thread on this but Nelson's "victory lap" bothers me almost as much as Terrell Owens celebrating on the star at midfield.

I've had a day to reflect on how I feel about it and I thought that maybe after a few hours my opinion would change but it hasn't. If you want to give a ball to your girlfriend that's fine, do it on your own time after the game. To take a victory lap around 3/4 of the home team's stadium (AND publicly objectify your significant other like that) is pretty uncalled for. Especially when it's only the first quarter and you're already down by 14 points. I don't know if this was Nelson's attempted gridiron representation of an invading soldier claiming a wife from the conquered land but I think it's pretty obvious that he was playing to the cameras. Normally I'm opposed to the barrage of fines levied out by the league each week but in this case I hope there's a sizable portion of his paycheck missing.

What bothers me most is that a stunt like this was discussed earlier in the week which leads me to believe that his girlfriend had a pretty good idea that it was going to happen. If she truly valued her position as a member of the Cowboys cheerleading squad she should have told her boyfriend during the week that she didn't feel this was in her best interest. I want the players, cheerleaders and staff to feel as passionate about the team as the most dedicated fans. It irks me when I see players joking and yucking it up with the opposing team after a loss the same way it irks me to see this young lady proudly clutching the ball and preening for the camera while wearing a Cowboys uniform that's arguably more recognizable then the players uniforms. Jerry Jones has a reputation of being unreasonable but I give him a lot of credit for the patience he is exhibiting here. If it had been me, she wouldn't have made it through the game. I would have told her to hit the showers and clean out her locker at halftime.
  2. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    didnt bother me at all, thought it was cute
  3. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I thought it was a high school-ish antic and he put his gf in an awkward position. After all, she is suppose to cheer the Cowboys on and yet getting a hug from an opposing player and the ball which he scored with (lol) during the the game did definitely question her loyalty.

But for me, it was nothing to be concerned with, mainly because it was a great win for the Cowboys, now if we got blown out, I think I would have different attitude about it.
  4. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I thought it was funny. It is probably an awkward situation for both of them so why not bring it to the forefront.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,788 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    There have been several other threads on this topic that reached multiple pages but because fans were unable to avoid insults and petty comments toward each other, the threads were deleted.

#reality
  6. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    It surprised me but i didn’t think it was a big deal.

Real life > Football game
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    Saw nothing wrong with it and it did not happen on the field of play so there was no reason to throw a flag.
  8. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,316 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    It's his Girl friend.....let the man be happy
  9. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who cares?
  10. PoetTree

PoetTree Active Member

339 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    It was a romantic gesture to a girl he obviously cares about, and you need to take yourself less seriously. In my humble opinion, of course. That you have spent any time worrying about this is more an indication of how bored you are than it is an indictment of what he did. It wasn't about showing up the Dallas Cowboys. It was about making his girl feel special. Breathe.

The world could use more gestures of love, not more outrage.

~peace
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,992 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    If Emmitt Smith was still playing he would have taken his scoring football to her and gave her a peck on the cheek.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,942 Messages
    2,761 Likes Received
    Irvin may have done it but back then however it may have been X-rated. :laugh2:
  13. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,359 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    I don't really care too much... but in this fine and flag happy league how was there no penalty there?
  14. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yeah, I thought it was a drama queenish move... I got the idea he wanted everyone to know he was dating a Cowboys cheerleader more than anything. And it did put her in a bad situation.

And of course it isn't a big deal... None of this is.
  16. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,652 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    What??? I had some awesome comments in that thread and, now, they're just gone??

:lmao2:

For the record, It was a non-issue for me.
  17. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

208 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Fair enough but it does make me wonder if Terrell Owens' midfield celebration would have been viewed as football sacrilege if we had come back and won that San Francisco game. I feel like a lot more people would take issue with Nelson if we lost yesterdays game. Winning seems to numb what would otherwise sting.
  18. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It is awkward for a cheerleader to be involved in the celebration of the other team's score.

But it isn't such a big deal.

If the celebration had followed a game-winning score for the Bills (to defeat the Cowboys), it'd seem like a bigger deal.
  19. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,612 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    Its just another attempt by a member of the opposing team to show disrespect to the Star or show up the Cowboys when they come to Cowboys Stadium. We should all be used to it by now and wear it as a badge of honor. You don't see opposing players continually doing things at any other stadium. It just proves that everyone views Dallas as the biggest stage in the league and many are jealous that they are stuck in places like Buffalo. It stopped bothering me the second Teague knocked TO on his backside.
  20. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,652 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    For me it would have. Of course I've always hated that mentally ill egomaniac anyway, so I might not be a good measuring stick.