1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Day one ready to start OLBs

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,982 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    Have fun getting torches with quick passes and draws/screens. Our corners suck as it is and Lee is our only LB that can cover. If u want to throw another pure edge pass rusher like Ware on the other side its going to make our team worse. It amazes me that people are basing Spencers play purely on his # of sacks. Im not saying he's great but I don't see a better replacement in FA or the draft. There may be equals, but that is just pointless waste of the #14 pick. This team has bigger issues at OG and CB(once Newman gets cut) than Shotgun Spencer.
  2. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LaMarr Woodley was drafted 2nd round the same year as Spencer. They both play the same position and while Woodley has played in 6 fewer games, he has more than doubled the number of sacks as Spencer 48 to 21 and has more interceptions and passes defensed as well. I don't care if Spencer stops the run better, our offense puts us in the lead and forces the other teams to pass to get back in the game. Having said that, none of the OLB do anything for me that early in the draft.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree with this post . I would draft someone like Curry in the second and let him share snaps with Butler until he is ready to start in a year or two .
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,319 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't reach for players in the draft. Having said that I do disagree that about the players who likely will fall around the 14th spot such as Ingram or Upshaw.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Do you think either of these players would be enough of an improvement to use the 14th pick on them ? I don't , but I have been wrong before . I guess the question that I really want answered is what do these players offer that would improve the position ?
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,319 Likes Received
    I can't say any of these guys who will get drafted are sure things. I know both guys are very tough physical players and leaders. They are disaplined in their play and smart in being able to read and react.

Can I say for sure no but then I don't think there any sure things.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,375 Messages
    2,001 Likes Received
    i would be OK re-signing spencer as long as we do a couple of things:

1) get a true NT
    2) get a 3-4 DE that can pressure the QB not just stop the run

i think these 2 are do-able in FA and draft this year

if we just re-sign spencer and upgrade secondary but dont upgrade the front 7, we are in for a long season
  8. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Whether we resign Spencer or not, we need to draft a OLB. IMO it needs to be a high pick as well. Player stock is gonna rise and fall tremendously after the combine, but right now i'm riding the Curry train baby. If we could land him in the second I would be thrilled.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    there is a reason he is called ALMOST ANTHONY
  10. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Who calls him that?
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Looks like Dont'a Hightower didn't declare yet, so he may stay in school this year.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    As things stand now , I would like Curry in the second . 2 or 3 years from now , he could prove to be the best pass rusher in this class .
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Just watched the championship game.. i think Dont'a made a good decision staying in school another year. Didn't impress me that much in that game.

I think if Upshaw is there at 14, you have to strongly consider him. It'll be a tough decision for sure what we do with our first round pick, depending on if we resign Spencer. If we can't get Spencer back for a reasonable price though, i'd say Upshaw could step right in and be a force for us. He looked explosive in the game. Reminded me of Cameron Heyward last year, another guy i really wanted in the draft. Two guys who just dominate and have relentless motors. These are the type of guys we need to be drafting. Guys who never stop.
  14. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,518 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    I thought I heard he declared to go pro after Kirk and Trent did?
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Not that i've heard? :confused:

If so, i hope we get somebody from that D, whether it be at 14, later in the first or in the second round.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,281 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    Unrealistic argument. This is the NFL not many rooks are day one starters, regardless of position.

That said Clay Matthews, Ryan Kerrigan and Von Miller are recent SOLB who started their rookie seasons.