1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DC bars can stay open 24 hours a day for 4 days.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sacase, Dec 3, 2008.

1. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    .C. Officials Considering Opening Bars 24-7
    The D.C. Council is considering legislation today that would allow bars to serve alcohol until 5 a.m. -- three hours longer than current regulations allow -- and remain open 24 hours a day from Jan. 17 through 21 to serve crowds in town for the inauguration.
    The bill, offered by council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1), is up for a vote at today's legislative meeting.
    "This is absolutely a unique opportunity, and we want our night life to participate in all of the activities and events during the Inauguration," Graham told Post reporter Hamil R. Harris today.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I saw this on the news this morning. I was laughing to myself because one of the council members said "These are not the kind of people that are at Mardi Gras". I think it is going to be worse than Mardi Gras.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They have these "speakeasy" places now in the District that are allowed to stay open later than 2:00. I wonder if they're some kind of trial balloon to see how this idea works?
  3. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    No I think this is just the district seeing that they can get a little bit extra tax money (10% tax on food and drink) if they allow the 4 million people who are expected to come to town party all night long because of Obama.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,350 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    But it sounds like the 5 a.m. thing would be a permanent change.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,006 Messages
    9,409 Likes Received
    Admittedly, I don't know anything about bars in D.C. But I imagine there are already after-hour spots there. Places that are open until 5am. The biggest change I see is they're considering serving alchol until 5am instead of possible 1:45a-2a.

It also looks to be only during the inauguration celebration.

6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    yeah they do have some after hours spots, they just can't serve alcohol after 2am.

Like I said what got me about this was the council member who said these are not the type of people who would go to Mardi Gras. Personally i can see it being like Mardi Gras because the common man had a profound effect on the election, not the liberal elite.