1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Another Cowboys Breakthrough Player

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,114 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    Another Cowboys Breakthrough Player
    Posted by rphillips at 6/24/2011 3:53 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/r...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

In his latest column, Mickey picks one player who’s primed for a breakout season. He’s got Sean Lee.

The Cowboys’ 2010 second-round pick is a solid candidate. Lee has a defined role as the nickel linebacker and could even challenge Keith Brooking for a starting job at some point soon. The biggest issue for him is health; he missed preseason time and two regular-season games with various minor issues.

Building off Mickey’s topic. I’ll take an offensive guy. This is pure speculation because we haven’t seen him in the NFL yet, much less with the Cowboys:

DeMarco Murray.

I’ll admit, Murray never consistently stood out to me during his time at Oklahoma. But watching film of him since the draft, the guy can make certain cuts that no running back on this roster – not even Felix Jones – can duplicate. He’s deceptively fast and elusive, he’s tough, he’s versatile. And by taking him in the third round, it’s doubtful the Cowboys plan to just sit him on the bench as a rookie.

His role?...
  2. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rob Phillips,

Not so fast my friend on DeMarco Murray being able to "make a cut that Felix Jones can't make". Felix Jones cuts at one speed, fast. Jones can jump cut, make the rounded cut (never slows down), and can cut and shift his body where he never slows down (watch Jones cut left while shifting his body left, his right foot runs at the same time). Jones is like a jitter bug in the open field. Jones can be shifting from side to side, but he is coming dead at you, fast. Felix is extremely elusive in the open field and on the second and third levels. Jones has the ability to make one guy miss in the open field and set the next guy up at the same time. Felix has a feel for where defenders are supposed to be. Jones breaks tackles with his under rated power and uses his elusive ability to eat up yards. Felix Jones hits the crease in the hole at one speed, real fast.

Isn't DeMarco Murray a one cut, down hill runner who isn't reported to be very elusive or a big tackle breaker?

Not so fast my friend. :)
  3. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape New Member

34 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My guess is he will not only make a lot of catches out of the backfield, he will line up with Felix in two back sets. And line up on the line as a receiver. I think felix and him will be on the field together quite a bit.