1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM Blog: Is There Room For 2 Big Tackle Contracts?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 5, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,472 Likes Received
    Posted by rphillips at 4/4/2011 1:45 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

It's a point I purposely left out of last week's column (detailing my skepticism of drafting an offensive lineman in the first round) because I wanted to give props to Brandon in Las Vegas for articulating it so well on Talkin' Cowboys:

If the Cowboys draft, say, USC tackle Tyron Smith at No. 9, they better budget for two big tackle contracts.

No one knows what the ninth pick will make due to the possibility of a rookie wage scale, but it'll be expensive regardless. Last year's ninth pick, Buffalo's C.J. Spiller, signed a five-year deal with $20.8 million in guarantees.

Read more: http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,620 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Who cares if it's expensive. An athletic linemen is just what we need, and Smith fits the bill to take over for Columbo on the right side.

We need athletes along the line so the days of Ray Edwards, Jared Allen, ,Kiwanunka and Omenyiora sending us home in the playoffs are over.

Need to protect Romo. Romo friendly
  3. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,370 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I'll say it a third time and then let it drop.

We don't need to be paying two LT's. That's why we don't need Tyron Smith at #9. If we really want to draft a OT in round 1 because we don't see Sam Young developing, then surely we can leave Free right where he is and draft any of the OT's other than USC's super athletic Smith...Castanzo (sp), Carimi, Solder...there are plenty of guys who can be had much later in round 1 who might be questionable as franchise LT's, but who could certainly play RT for years to come.

If you have a franchise LT like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, you don't use a top 10 pick on Joe Thomas to play RT...it makes no sense, which is why no one does it. Now, Free is no Ferguson, and Tyron Smith is no Thomas, but Free is a free agent, and we'll have to pay him starting LT money to resign him...he's proven at LT. It is unthinkable that we'd pay top 10 money for the top rated tackle, whom everyone sees as the top LT prospect in a weak but deep class this year and play him at RT.
  4. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,019 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Plenty of teams have done it, so I wouldn't say it's "unthinkable."
  5. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,135 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    i disagree. if smith is the best player on our board and the oline is big need for us. then we need to take smith and let the salary cap take care of itself. stephen jones will find a way to make the cap work for two tackles.
  6. odog422

odog422 Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    The game is won in the trenches. Two young very good bookend tackles sets your franshise for years. I don't know how in today's NFL, when very good pass rushers are now coming from the right as well as the left, you can say that type of investment is not justified.

Not to mention we'll be rid of some big contracts in the next year or two (Barber, Roy, Newman for starters) through release or restructure.