1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: 'Boys Say Spencer Extension Is Do-Able

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    'Boys Say Spencer Extension Is Do-Able
    Posted by jellis at 4/25/2012 1:20 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/j...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

With Anthony Spencer and Mike Jenkins in the fold, the starting outside linebacker and cornerback jobs are not exactly up in the air for 2012.

Both players have just a year left on their contracts, however, suggesting the Cowboys' needs at those positions are bigger than they appear at first glance.

Still, the team doesn't feel obligated to pick either position. Owner and general manager Jerry Jones pointed out on Tuesday that the Cowboys could very easily sign Spencer to an extension if and when they want to do so. The 28-year-old has hired a new agent with hopes of landing a long-term deal...
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Cutting to the chase here:

As for Jenkins, the Cowboys say they have room in the budget to dole out another big-money cornerback contract, if they so choose.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,902 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    I'm thinking that if Jenkins shows that he's fully healed and starts playing really well that they might try and resign him during the year and keep him in Dallas. With the receivers the Giants have and the Eagles being a pretty explosive offense, they might feel that they absolutely need to have all 3 of those corners around for a long while.
  4. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,236 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Yup, he's worth it/
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    so the fact that up till now the boys have not bothered to make any offer at all means nothing? Sure.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Means they are in no hurry. Jenkins is under contract coming off injury and I'm sure they would like to hold off as much as they can. What is the hurry?
  7. burmafrd

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received

this is about Spencer
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,577 Messages
    2,457 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are usually no comment when asked about the state of contract negotiations, but i thought i read that there was an offer on the table. Am I missing something?
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    There have been discussions, and Jerry didn't shy away from saying it could be as easy as here today. As well, there is enough cap room to sign one other major contract - Jenkins?
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    For Jenkins, his stock is probably lower right now than it will be come week 5.

At least if he shows up and plays.

Unless he plays this year and regresses, he will probably be as cheap now as he ever will be.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I wouldn't rush to sign him long-term...
  12. burmafrd

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    now they may be full of crap but there have been several articles that the boys have never made an offer for a long term deal to Spencer
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    From the referenced OP article:

While there is an open dialogue between the two sides, the Cowboys say no deal is imminent on the Spencer front. If not interested, why continue in dialogue?
  14. burmafrd

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received

once again unamed sources. Tha janitor again.

BUT they have not DENIED that they have never given an offer to Spencer.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Yea, I can see your point here...J Ellis walks around Valley Ranch with access to the the full picture, yet lives in a complete and isolated vacuum. Talking to the now infamous liquor salesman...er, janitor. Sorry, not buying your sell out.