1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Carr Anticipates Personal Improvement Down Stretch

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,747 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Hmmm, good post Eskimo. Also depressing.

Don't necessarily agree with you, but you do make a great argument.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I like both CBs but we overpaid extremely for what dividends we are receiving on the field from their play. I'd believe they were the difference makers if we played defense like the Jets with tons of press coverage with little safety help freeing up the DC to put together exotic blitz packages. It worked for the Jets when they had Revis and a solid #2 CB. Without Revis they have struggled showing great CBs can allow you to get by with mediocre talent upfront and still put up a very good defense.

Dallas mostly protects Clai and Carr. I won't believe the CBs were worth the price tag until we isolate the CBs against very good QB/WR duos and dial up the pressure on a frequent basis.

I'd like it for Clai to show he is the best CB since Deion as the Cowboys' FO has claimed but there has been near zero proof that he has this kind of potential. It is usually obvious fairly early if a CB has special skills and I have not seen that from Clai. He has clearly shown he will be a competent CB in the league but I don't see All-Pro written all over him. Similarly, Carr is not a bad player but I also don't see him being a multi-Pro Bowl kind of talent. He is just a good starting CB but not a playmaker and not elite.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    We'll see how this defense does against a Saints team that is far inferior offensively to the one we beat handily on the road that year.

This team also whipped a Philly team that was far better than this one with a good QB and shut them out right after they shut out the Skinks.

They were the #2 defense in the NFL and #2 in ppg.

This defense hasn't been anywhere close to that one. Show me how this defense is so much better than that one. All I see is a defense that caved in yet another late game lead against a bad team last week only to be saved by Romo one more time. These guys are not world beaters. In fact, they are far from it.
  4. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Imo, our biggest weakness on defense right now is d-line.
  5. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Can someone give an honest assessment on where they think Clai is technique wise? IMO, it's a weakness of his right now and speed is the only substitute for that, so once he gets that down pat we'll see the elite talent level of play we expect from him.
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,747 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Very true. We drafted him solely because he was a playmaker but he's only got his hands on one gimme INT. And putting such an emphasis on turnovers makes sense, considering our inability to get INTs.

I'd like to see teams throw at him more to see if he truly has that talent or not. But I tend to agree with you, we didn't trade up that high to get a CB that needs help over the top because of his lack of speed.

We did it so we could get a guy you could leave 1 on 1 for the entire game and he'd not only shut a guy down, but he'd get his hands on the ball. And we haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

Considering it's only halfway through his rookie year, I still have hope we'll see that playmaking side of him. Some guys are timid when they enter the pros. And all it takes is a couple plays to boost your confidence and start playing like you really want to.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Clai is looking better but I still don't think he is ever going to be elite.

Carr is looking more and more like a bust given how much he is paid.
  8. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Carr isn't a bust. Every CB gets beat.
  9. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Not every cb gets 50 mil to get burned deep once a week
  10. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Carr is doing fine, no one should have expected him to come in and play like a shutdown corner

should he have gotten 50 million? heh, maybe, maybe not.....but he was a upgrade over newman and alan ball....

i mean it was either pay carr 50 million or watch rg3 play against alan ball and terrence newman
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,035 Messages
    453 Likes Received

??????
  12. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,765 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    I don't have the all 22 film, but it looks like Carr has an incredibly high % of completion against. I wonder what his PFF numbers are? He was in decent position on a number of passes yesterday but failed to make plays on the ball in a number of circumstances (Although, I thought that the PI in the endzone was BS).

Mo, the rookie does seem to be progressing, but he hasn't displayed top CB speed up to this point, which seems to be borne out in the combine #'s that you posted. You'd expect a rookie to make a number of mistakes at that position, but you'd also expect a rookie that was so highly drafted to be quicker than what we've seen to date.
  13. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    How was that PI bs? If there's any call to have a gripe with its the non PI call on the Romo INT to Beasley. Blatant push from the DB
  14. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I think Harris and Beasley improved this week.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    There were other alternatives available in FA. We didn't have to go after the upper tier players.