1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Flipped To Right Side, Free Knows Job No Easier Against Giants

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Flipped To Right Side, Free Knows Job No Easier Against Giants

Josh Ellis
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...t-Giants/3820afdd-6a96-4941-b7b5-9a7596c6af01

IRVING, Texas – Blame it on Sandra Bullock.

The modern day conventional wisdom, promoted in the Oscar-nominated movie “The Blind Side,” is that left tackle is the marquee position on the offensive line and far and away the most difficult of the front five spots. In general, it may be true, but there are exceptions, depending on the opponent, and the New York Giants pass rush is certainly exceptional.

In Wednesday’s season opener, one Cowboys lineman won’t be able to stop New York’s incredible edge-rushing depth, which includes Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and, when they want to, Mathias Kiwanuka, Michael Boley and Dave Tollefson.

“That’s a big part of their philosophy, to have those guys, allocate their resources, drafting guys, signing guys,” Garrett said. “They all look long and big and they can rush up the field and also defend the run. I keep saying this, but they’ve got a lot of them. It’s not just one guy. They’ve got a number of them who start for them, and they rotate other guys in.”

For the Cowboys, who allowed six sacks of Tony Romo in the New Year’s Day game against the Giants that decided the NFC East, and let in Boley to break the quarterback’s collarbone the year before, stopping free runners at the point of attack is crucial. With pass protection in mind, the club moved 2011 first-round pick Tyron Smith to left tackle this offseason, and slid two-year incumbent Doug Free to the right side, where he first broke in as a starter in 2009, replacing an injured Marc Colombo...
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,451 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    I think Free's performance will be critical to the team's success or lack thereof against the Giants.

And I think that this is a critical year for him as an individual.

I have seen several players whose salaries climb dramatically next year and I think Free has to have a good season to justify his big increase.
  3. jr40usa

jr40usa Member

415 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What has happen to this guy? He seem slow of foot these days.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Just seems like since he got paid he is mailing it in as regards weight and strength training
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    His foot and hand work all messed up. This position concerns me as much as any these days.
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

he is weak and slow.....other than that he's pretty good....
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Who do we hate more: Free or Costa? I keep forgetting.
  8. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,470 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Great reporting....Dave Tollefson isn't on the Giants anymore.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Shhhhh don't tell him that...

:muttley:
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Anyone on the OL not named Tyron, we are supposed to hate.

Get it right...;)
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Costa is the popular choice since he has NEVER been very good at best

Free however actually has played well

So his current slump is troubling
  12. stasheroo

17,451 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Why the hyperbole and exaggeration?

Why does criticism have to mean hatred?

I hope Free plays very well at right tackle.

And he needs to.

He didn't have a great season last year after getting paid left tackle money and has now quickly been moved to the right side - while still being paid left tackle money.

If he has another disappointing season, is it 'hating' to think that the Cowboys might think twice about keeping him around at $7 million in 2013?

He'll certainly need to play well against the Giants' pass rush for us to win tonight.

If that's 'hating' then I guess I 'hate' him...

:confused:
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    I think the move back to RT will be very good for Free.
  14. Idgit

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Oh, I agree. I think Free's in real danger of getting replaced next season if he doesn't have a good season. I don't consider that 'hating' at all.

Criticism doesn't have to be hatred, at all. There's plenty of room for legitimate criticism of Doug Free. I'm concerned about him, too, frankly.

I posted because of this:

This isn't only criticism. It's also unfair and thoughtless criticism. There's an important difference.
  15. stasheroo

17,451 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    Fair enough.

Looks like you and I are pretty much in agreement here then.

I've been stashing away this name for the past few weeks - Jeff Otah.

He was a high draft pick who flamed-out in Carolina and his trade to the Jets was nixed before he was cut.

But he's got talent and from what I've been reading the light may have come on for him.

He's been working out at LeCharles Bentley's training facility and early returns look promising.

I'd 'kick the tires'.
  16. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received

Hey, you go Stash...:)
  17. Idgit

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I'd really like to see the OL surprise us this year, and be solid across the board. I"m pretty confident Callahan knows what he wants at OG...it's not that complicated a position to get right. OT is much trickier, and it's a big plus if we've got the right guys under contract longer-term.

It looked to me like Free was playing hurt much of last year and it was underreported. Now, I'm not so sure, because he hasn't looked great in preseason. I guess we're about to find out. But it's a big win if we can spend our picks and FA dollars elsewhere next season. Picking up a street FA who works out would be a godsend, of course.

More than OL, though, this season we're going to need our backs to and TEs to step up and be perfect in pass protection. If Callahan can sort the confusion between C and OGs on twists and stunts--and I think it's reasonable to assume the extra time he's spending on this will pay off--then it just comes down to blitz pickups. We've gotten Romo killed on blown protections in the past, but getting it right this season will put a ton of pressure on defenses. Especially if Dez has the kind of season he's poised to have. Getting it wrong means another year of kissing 500 football despite a roster full of dangerous skill position players. That would suck.
  18. stasheroo

17,451 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    I think this season depends on it. I like what we have in place virtually everywhere else.

I've heard the injury speculation regarding Free but have seen no evidence to support it. Add that to a mediocre looking preseason and he may just be the guy we saw last year. OK, but not worth the money.

I have high expectations of Callahan. I think he got the two guards he wanted and now I hope that he makes it work.

I was very worried during camp given the injuries and had hoped they did more, but I'm happy with the Cook trade at least.

And I will say that I thought things looked better as each piece was added - Bernardeau, Livings, and then I thought Costa looked pretty good in Game #4.

They face a stern test tonight, but I don't think they'll look like the 'overmatched bums' some commentators think they will.

I fully expect that many of the so-called 'experts' will be eating their crow tomorrow.
  19. Idgit

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    The Cook trade makes me feel a lot better, too. Young, good size, plays multiple positions, and with significant experience. If Kowalski were healthy, I'd feel pretty good about our game day depth. All pretty consistent in terms of skill, and all capable NFL starters, at least. With Tyron being an obvious standout.

I think the OL is going to have an all-day sucker tonight. And I think we'll see the Giant's outside pressure do its damage and still see our offense be successful.

Some are going to see that as failure, but it's really just what happens when you play the Giants. I'll consider it a success if we're able to make multiple down-field plays in the passing game to take advantage of that very mediocre secondary they're trotting out.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

RUN, MAX PROTECT AND HIT DEZ AND MILES......THAT'S THE TICKET