1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Gruden: Cowboys Have A Great O-Line Coach In Bill Callahan

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 30, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

The first time I met Bill Callahan was when he was coaching on Barry Alvarez’s staff at the University of Wisconsin. Bill was working with the offensive line at the time, and the Badgers were beginning to turn the corner with their program in 1992.

On our Packers staff at the time was a young coach named Jon Gruden, who was just beginning his NFL career as an assistant for Mike Holmgren. The reason for the get together, which was known as the Packer–Badger Steak Fry, was to give the two programs the opportunity to promote the University in the area. But what the coaches used it for was a chance to get together and exchange ideas.

Callahan and Gruden were instant friends, and for good reason, they both were young go-getter types who lived to be on the field working with players. I would later cross paths with Gruden and Callahan again when Callahan went to work with Gruden as his offensive line coach with the Eagles.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Callahan/d1ac16d8-4cf6-4f20-a219-212079714bae
  2. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,093 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Well, someone pointed out the other day in a post about 19 sacks in December and in another post a few days ago someone was saying that Romo's protection overall was pretty good.

I think only one of those statements really reflects the truth and to me that truth is:

When it really counts and the pressure is on whether it is December or the playoffs - our Oline has fallen apart the last few years.

I hope Callahan is the guy who gets it straight!
  3. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the post, WG.

:)
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,576 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Callahan can coach the physicality of the game. The guys need to find the mental toughness. When you're dead-dog tired. Digging deep and fighting thru the end. Leave it all on the field.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    A coach can have an impact on that as well though intense practice late in the afternoon when guys are dead tired
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,759 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    To add to that, Sturm wrote a piece over the offseason about why he felt the Cowboys play worst late in the season and it was his opinion it was a sign of a lack of depth. That their top 10-15 players were as good as anybody's but the rest of the roster was lacking the quality depth and role players that form championship teams and those warts are most exposed late in the season.

I think there's a lot of truth to that.