1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: History Suggests New Punter Here In 2012

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,455 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    History Suggests New Punter Here In 2012
    Posted by nickeatman

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/n...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

When the Cowboys re-signed punter Mat McBriar to a contract extension in 2007, it was something rather new to this organization, especially since Jerry Jones took over nearly 20 years before.

The word “re-sign” just didn’t go in the same sentence with kicker and punter. The Cowboys’ philosophy had been to find young, cheap kickers – let guys like Steve Hoffman and Joe Avezzano groom them and when it was time for a new deal, they would let them walk and start over.

Happened with dozens of guys before. With Mat McBriar, it didn’t happen that way. The Cowboys didn’t want to find a new punter so they locked him up for five more years in a move that was clearly unheard of around here.

Well, now his contract is up once again. Do the Cowboys revert back to their old ways or do they keep using McBriar as an exception to their own rule?...
  2. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,375 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Hopefully Brad Wing is waiting in the wings ;)
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,455 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Another Aussie. Too bad he's a freshman at LSU. Great leg.
  4. yimyammer

4,375 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    No kidding, the Ghost of Al Davis will probably draft him in the first round anyway
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,175 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Twelve years ago they picked a K and a P in the 1st and 5th rounds.

Those two players have been their K and P for 12 straight years. The P is far and away the best in the league. The K ain't bad either.
  6. yimyammer

4,375 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Thus the reason for my ghost of Al reference
  7. BARRYRAY

BARRYRAY Active Member

1,218 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The kicker here and special teams are why we missed the playoffs bottom line.
  8. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is the the LSU punter that I seen in the BCS game? He looked really good from what little I saw.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,873 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    We should draft the kid from Cal in the 7th round or bring him in as an UDFA.
  10. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,177 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Wow seriously?

Some people blame the same thing regardless of what really happened. I hate Cowboys fans that say it is always the kicker's fault, or always the quarterback's fault. Doesn't matter who is playing that position, it is always their fault.
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,455 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Yea, you got a glimps of a future budding NFL star, God willing...
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,455 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Training camp kicking competitions are fun to watch from the stands during training camps.
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,220 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    i'd rather keep jones and pay him the minimum. the money saved can be used to help out elsewhere.
  14. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol wut? Bailey had a great rookie season this season. It's not his fault the line sucks and can't block for him or that he got iced by his own coach.
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    How did McBriar get hurt? I'm sure it was posted but I don't remember seeing it.