1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Jones, Garrett See Bryant’s Maturation Translate To Results

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Rowan Kavner
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – The Dez Bryant[IMG] that head coach Jason Garrett sees now is much more jubilant and upbeat than the one who darted into his office after the Bengals game in December.

Bryant’s transformation on and off the field began before that game, but his increased maturity level, grit and determination were all evident after the thriving star snagged a late touchdown grab in Cincinnati, only to find out after the game he broke his finger and could need season-ending surgery.

“He was very emotional after he hurt his finger up there in Cincinnati,” Garrett said. “He hurts his finger, then catches what amounted to be the game-winning touchdown pass with a broken finger, and he came in the next day and our doctors saw him and they said, ‘Hey, you broke this thing, we might have to do surgery, you might have to go on IR.’

Bryant was stunned. Garrett said it took the receiver just two minutes to run into Garrett’s office and plead to finish the season and play through the injury.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Results/31cea84a-595c-4b4d-84f4-953b6b9acdbd
  2. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Number 88 is the only possible choice of jerseys for this guy. One of Jerry's best moves to grab him, and now the sky is the limit. The X-Factor. I like it...
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I have to admit that middle of 2011 I was very unsure about Dez. He was only running 3 different routes all-game long according to couchscout and had very long spells with very little productivity. In the second half of 2011 he became a bit more consistent and started running more routes. Then came another offseason with off-field trouble with his mother and I was really worried. The the start of the 2012 season raised worries again with a couple of high profile gaffes from reading the field incorrectly leading to big plays the other way.

Something changed in the second half of the season. We saw Dez playing more consistent football. He was still playing with his trademark toughness but he seemed to be much more in control of himself emotionally. He now had the ability to sustain his production right to the end of the game where he made lots of tough game-deciding type catches that pushed us into the chase for the NFC East title.

Right now I am pretty convinced that Dez has put himself on the right path and is going to be the next big Dallas Cowboys star. I would say he is the first one since the emergence of Ware and Romo in 2006. That is a pretty long drought and explains why our results have been so mediocre as of late. To turn the corner here we need other young players like Mo, Tyron, Lee and Carter to take that next step too. Our future is looking much brighter now than it did in the middle of the 2010 season when Wade resigned. My biggest fears right now are cap management and health of the young core. If Jerry doesn't blow the cap and these guys stay healthy they should put us back in the playoffs. We just need to fill a couple of holes in FA and the draft and we should be there.