1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Only Starter To Play In Finale, Costa Gets First Preseason Action

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Only Starter To Play In Finale, Costa Gets First Preseason Action

By Jonathan Auping

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...n-action/7b494752-ad9b-49a1-8074-b2616e88634b

ARLINGTON, Texas - If forced to describe the Cowboys’ offensive line this preseason in one word, “stability” probably wouldn’t be the first to come to mind.

Since the beginning of training camp, the starting five has been plagued with injuries, the latest of which to heal was the back injury to starting center Phil Costa.

Costa hurt his back on Aug. 10 and missed the first three preseason games. While he was out, David Arkin filled in as the starting center. Arkin’s efforts were admirable considering the taxing number of snaps he took in practices and games this offseason at both center and guard.

However, Arkin is not a natural center and at times it showed. There were botched snaps and quarterback pressures from the interior line...
  2. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,918 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    They are going to bring the heat early and often. I hope to god we can survive it. The Giants have the best front four in the league, bar none, and we cannot afford to lose Romo this early. I guess I have no faith in our line... :pray:
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    natural center? not going to read anything else from this numbie anymore
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I felt Costa did a pretty good job out there. I don't expect him to play like a Pro Bowler I just expect him to go out and do the job and help this team.
  5. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,445 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    By game 5 people will say...hey, maybe our OL isn't bad after all. Even though evident after a few games, it will take people that long to admit it.
  6. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Hard to say how the line will do as the regular season is about to begin. I think they will have their share of ups and downs I just hope they are able to progress as a unit through out the season.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,392 Messages
    2,991 Likes Received
    Costa did play well last night.
  8. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,106 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Impossible, I have heard it said many times that he sucked last year thus he will suck this year. No way did a young player show improvement, just can't happen.
  9. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    consider the source of that post. Pollyanna
  10. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    As the author of the article wrote....it almost seemed like his return was a calming influence on the rest of the group. For the most part, they played the Dolphins starting D-Line....Solai and Odrick were in there and more than held their own. IN fact, I think it was the best I have seen Loper, McQuistan and Parnell look. May have nothing to do with Costa's presence but they all looked better.
  11. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what do you mean? he said Arkin is NOT a natural center...
  12. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,623 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    But he doesn`t have to be though. How about you watch the game and let us know how you think he did?

Or would you rather be a loud mouthed ignoramus.
  13. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I'm considering what I saw from him last night in his play. He did a good job, funny you casting stone about someone being a Pollyanna when you refuse to even give a young player a chance to prove himself, instead take every oppertunity to slam him. Last night was the 1st action he has saw since last year how do you know if he has made any improvements or that under Callahan he can't develop into a better player? No all we hear from you is the guy sucks and can never get better and that is based on what your expert opinion?
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,932 Likes Received
    Actually, I don't recall MW suggesting we do anything other than wait-and-see how the OL turned out when the actual projected starters were on the field. Do you? Some 'Pollyanna.'

I also seem to recall a bit of hysteria re: OG and C before the exhibition season started and while the starters were out. Care you share your analysis of the OL's play the last two games? Still as bearish as ever based off of what you're seeing on the field? Or bearish despite what you're seeing on the field?

I won't go so far as to suggest you're moving into wait-and-see mode with the rest of us, but I'd be interested to know how actually seeing the players play in our system has affected your careful analysis.
  15. Idgit

31,122 Messages
    6,932 Likes Received
    Giants have four significant DL injuries (Canty, Rogers, Parker, and Marvin Austin). They'll still bring a ton of pressure off the edge, but they won't be at full strength where we're probably weakest. Wed is a bigger test for our OTs, frankly.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Who needs to actually watch games when you can just blindingly shout hyperbole in repetition.
  17. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Great point, and their secondary is somewhat of a mess. I think there is a chance to light them up to be honest.

I think our defense will be up to the task of not letting them do the same to us.
  18. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,662 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Or consider your fine work on here, posting.
  19. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    fewer words would help you - do not get the novel disease

Costa is what he is; mediocre to almost good depending on who he is up against.
    Our starting guards are decent to good.

Our LT is young and will make mistakes.

Outside of Costa I am more worried about Free since he seems to be stagnating.
  20. Idgit

31,122 Messages
    6,932 Likes Received
    Words bad! OGs good for now, OTs now bad! Got it.