1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Outside Influence: With No OLB Early, Spencer's Spot Secure

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 1, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Josh Ellis
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    Email

IRVING, Texas - If a long-term extension for Anthony Spencer could get done in one afternoon, as Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last week, the decision to replace him could've happened overnight.

As another former first-round pick, cornerback Mike Jenkins, has learned, the Cowboys will not hesitate to improve at a position, if they can. The team drafted top-ranked cornerback Morris Claiborne on Thursday night, but had he not slipped to the No. 6 pick, the team very easily could have sat tight and chosen an outside linebacker with the 14th overall pick.

That's what prompted Spencer to finally sign the franchise tender a week ago, accepting a deal that had been on the table for more than a month.

"I didn't want to be in a situation where I didn't have any leverage at all," Spencer said. "If they drafted somebody, I could end up getting traded, getting paid less than what I was going to be getting paid and being somewhere I really don't want to be. It's more hassle than anything else. This is more money than I was making, so I'm happy with it. It's not so bad. I can play a year and see what happens."

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=0541F5B2-B134-57A6-2B6A1C6E254A0ED6
  2. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I thought they were gonna put Wilbur backing up Ware? I don't think he is big enough to play the SAM. But in a couple of years in a conditioning program he could add some weight and strength.

I really hope that Wilbur and Crawford can add something to the nickel D in the rush packages.
  3. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I'm more intrigued with our UDFA's as SOLB/pass rushers than Wilber who seems more like an ILB option.

Wilber gives Dallas a bigger option in the middle considering its two projected starters inside are comparitively little guys.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,877 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Adrian Hamilton and Whiteside!!!