1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com Roundatable discussion on McKenzie?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Peterman60, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Peterman60

Peterman60 New Member

179 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did they say that we want to look at McKenzie as a possible trade?
  2. The Fonz

The Fonz Correctamundo

1,376 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't think one good CB will solve our problems we have so many holes to fill ,I don't want us to waste a pick or alot of money on this guy.he is good but not Primetime in his days
  3. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While he may be a good CB, he still wouldn't be worth what they would want for him...pass on him, IMO.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,254 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I'd like to see us trade for McKenzie. Our 2nd next year for him.
    I think he'd some in gladly and play for us as he got his extension.

We would then have a passable CB group with 2 very good CBs.
  5. phdefense

phdefense New Member

315 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am in line with Bill. We need to just develope what we have.
  6. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,848 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Garbage in Garbage out.
  7. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

620 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Everybody seems to be forgetting that the reason McKenzie is not playing is because he wants more MONEY! Do you think that is going to change if we trade a 2nd for him.......no way that BP is going to tie up all his money in the defensive backfield!
  8. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,237 Messages
    393 Likes Received
    If we trade our second all we have are the two firsts on day one. We'd have no flexibility to move up for a player if we needed to do it. McKenzie is only a slight upgrade on Edwards and he wants shutdown money, it would be utterly stupid to make that trade.
  9. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,512 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I agree. Lets keep our draft picks for next year. We'll need a great draft next year.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    We need those two draft picks to add premium players to the front 7.

Our front 7 only really has no elite players.

It has one true Pro Bowl level performer: Glover

It has only 2 other above average players: Ellis, Nguyen

That leaves 4 spots of average to below average starters: Wiley, Carson, Singleton, Coakley

We need to seriously upgrade these positions through the draft and FA next year. Signing the malcontent McKenzie will not solve our problems.

It is going to be a long year, folks.

On the bright side, the young talent on the O looks good to me. They are melding nicely with a solid group of vets (sans the two-headed monster RA/EG).
  11. OldButDeadly

OldButDeadly Bill's Waterboy

353 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well...all this "Lets have a great draft" and "Lets develop what we got" talk means we are 2 or 3 years away from making a run....which I am not too terribly against....I just hope its with a good coach when we are making our run...
    Lets draft the hell out of Defensive Linemen....and Linebackers....

We need to quit playing these guys who are a play away from a walker...and get some youngens some experience....

Lets just stop all this "Make a run in 2005" crap....because that is exactly what it is .... Crap ....

Kev
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,254 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    He wants money but is absolutely a huge upgrade over Edwards or Hunter.

He's just short of shutdown CB status.
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Apparently not many people in the NFL agree with your assesment JT, if he were that good the Packers would have definitely been able to get what they want for him.

He's an average player at best. He has mediocre speed and gets beat deep quite a bit. He wants a ton of money.

No thanks

David
  14. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree with this. We are 2-3 years away...as tough as it is to admit it. While it might be overreacting to focus on the negatives of the defense this week, Minnesota did a good job of showing us just how far we need to go to match up with an 'elite' team.

Unfortunately, I feel Philadephia also still has a fair lead on us. :mad:
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,589 Messages
    3,337 Likes Received
    We need two CBs. They don't appear to be ready to overpay for anyone. Let Hunter play the nickel.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,589 Messages
    3,337 Likes Received
    They may have decided we are one DE and one DT away from having a very good defense. Maybe Parcells sees Hunter doing ok at RCB and Jones with the nickel with more pressure up front, getting more experience and having safety help with Woodson coming back. I only see what happens game day and that can be misleading....altho I say we still need two CBs. Parcells may see more clearly though.

In that case they may be doing exactly what you said...looking for a dominant DE and DT to add to Glover and Ellis. Glover will star in that atmosphere and Ellis will be very solid.