1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Ryan Exploit the Offense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 16, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,112 Messages
    1,861 Likes Received
    I love this guy.

Q: How quick did you forget about last week.

A: Coach speak, "Monday". Honestly, Thursday.
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,572 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It was refreshing wasn't it.
  4. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received

This year is going to be so much fun with him.
  5. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,078 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    He really likes Church
  6. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,532 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Abolutely. All I need now is to get the Cowboy haters at my job out of my ear. Made a scene at work today because someone was poking a stick at me. But I digress. I like when Rob said everybody who was dressed on defense played defense on Sunday. That's excellent in my opinion. I know it was necessary last week but I believe in defensive rotation. Keep em fresh and hungry.
  7. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,305 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    i believe he is correct. I even seen albright in there a couple times. Way better than the wade days.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,169 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    After watching that 8 minute video I have to say I'm more stoked about this team more then I have been in a long time.

I just feel Garrett and Ryan know what they are doing. "Everybody that dressed... played" music to my ears, after WP.

The best line of all is when he talked about Lee. Paraphrasing here, "Lee's a gym rat. He loves football. His hobbies are probably football, and lifting weights!!" LMAO!

Really excited about what he and Garrett can do to this team this year.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Up until the injuries in the second half, Ryan's defense played better than in any game all last year.

His defense generated 7 points from Lee's INT.

They gave up only 17 points. The Jets got 7 off the blocked punt and the offense gifted a FGA from Folk at 50 yards from the Romo INT that he nailed. The Jets also got 7 points when we had only 2 healthy CBs and Barry Church had to play CB.

By my count that's a net 3 points given up despite playing without 2 of the top 3 CBs and 7 additional points given up when we only had 2 healthy CBs (#4 and 5 on the depth chart).
  10. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    That’s a great break down. Can you imagine (hopefully) when we have Newman, Jenkins and Scan on the field at the same time? This defense could be special.
  11. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I just lovew the fact he was coaching on the sidelines. When did you ever see Wade do anything like that??? This guy is going to be one heck of a Head Coach someday. My hope is that there is a younger guy on staff that knows this defense and can be groomed to take his spot once Ryan gets a better offer.
  12. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    He's such a terrific DC. I love the fact that he plays every guy he dresses on the roster on defense. Most coaches will just play the starters and give the backups reps here and there, but he actually puts guys like Church, Mccray, and other guys that normally wouldn't see a single snap out there in different packages.

This is the kind of DC I've been wanting here for so long. If I was Jerry I'd seriously be offering him the most insane money to stay here long term if he makes this defense as incredible as I think it's going to be.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He also let's the best players play.

So right now on defense that means Hatcher and Lee start.

Ball can't play safety - no issue because Ryan sees that he can use him as a 4th CB and emergency safety.

McCray isn't great in coverage but he is big and he can tackle and run. He can be used as a nickel LB in a package.

I think he stays here 3 years to rehab this defense and build his reputation. Then he gets a HC gig somewhere in a good situation just like Garrett did. I want him to develop some great position coaches with one of them taking the reigns when he is done. It sounds like Eberfluss is his top guy so hopefully we can ink him to a long-term deal and keep him as DC when Ryan bolts.
  14. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I don't see any way he's still here in 3 years if he wants to be a head coach. If the defense turns out to be great and forces a ton of turnovers this season, he'll be a head coach next year, no doubt. Somebody is going to think there's no way he's not a great head coach because of the bloodlines and his attitude, and they're probably right.

He's going to be a coach just like his brother, except probably even more candid about his feelings. Players respect a guy who lives and breathes football, and he'll run whatever team he takes over's defense and that will be their signature, just like Rex.

As for keeping Eberflus, I don't see much chance of that either because as soon as Rob takes a HC gig he's going to make Eberflus his DC. I don't know why Eberflus would stay with us as DC over going with his guy.
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That's why you sign Eberflus to a multi-year deal so he can be blocked from moving. Elevating him to DC means Ryan couldn't steal him for a lateral move.

If Ryan leads a dramatic turnaround on defense he will have a choice of HC jobs but he may want to wait until a good one comes around and not just jump for the first one that becomes available with some sad sack franchise that leads to him getting canned quickly.

You also have to remember, Ryan hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a DC. He has fielded mediocre defenses everywhere he has been. Heck, many Cowboys fans didn't want him here and that wasn't entirely because of bloodlines but due to underwhelming results at Cleveland and Oakland.

Ultimately, only time will tell.
  16. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,532 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I've been a Hatcher fan sense his rookie year (may have started with Parcells)
    He just didn't get enough time on the field in my opinion. Now he will. I like his football side.
  17. SquiggDoggs

SquiggDoggs Member

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm stoked for this team as well...its not often that an organization tries to better itself and still ends up in the same boat. I'm stoked that this team made so many changes and is starting out the season at 0-1. That's really something to be encouraged about. It's okay though, it was the jets, so a loss is okay...its not like if we made the Superbowl we might be playing them. For one this team needs to get rid of Newman, he's horrible and worthless. Second, Jenkins is a bust lets just accept that. Scandrick...really!...we need a lot of work on defense before this team does anything!
  18. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need some healthy CB's....

:bang2:
  19. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think it might play out just like it did with Garrett. Rob interviews for a few teams for their HC, and comes back to Dallas. Jerry sees the offers and makes Rob the highest paid DC in the NFL.

It depends entirely if Rob wants to be a HC or not. If not, he could spend the next decade as the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. Matter of ambition, that's all.
  20. SquiggDoggs

SquiggDoggs Member

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need a whole new defense...I've been saying that for years!