1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Scout’s Notebook: Some Things Standing Out From Film Room

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Scout’s Notebook: Some Things Standing Out From Film Room

Posted 3 hours ago

Bryan BroaddusFootball Analyst/Scout

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ilm-Room/d7b18f90-a3d2-492c-b596-59b684eafbb9

For the sake of Morris Claiborne and these defensive coaches, it’s really nice to have him on the practice field. He can take all the mental reps he wants but trying to learn new scheme and technique is about getting on the field and actually doing it. Claiborne’s first day back had his moments where he really did a nice job with his technique.

In the team period where the receivers were running combo routes against the corners and safeties, Claiborne stepped up and looked comfortable where he needed to fit in the scheme but more important playing the correct technique when it meant carrying his man up the field or passing him off to the safety then adjusting to pick up another man. In team period, where Claiborne is having his most trouble is adjusting how quick these NFL receivers sell their routes. You don’t want to be a corner that guesses on routes, so Claiborne has to be careful that he has confidence in his ability and technique.

On Wednesday, there were three routes where he looked bad in the period but was able to pick it up later. Kevin Ogletree ran a beautiful slant on him selling the route outside then quickly breaking inside. Claiborne got caught on his heals and in terrible position but Romo went the other way with the ball. Later Dez Bryant drove hard up the field putting Claiborne on the defensive, then planted on his right foot and took it inside, Claiborne was caught in no man’s land trying to adjust to the break but Romo didn’t miss this time. On the final of the bad run, Ogletree curls inside with Claiborne in position to defend the pass but Romo is able to shake the rush and Ogletree sees this breaking inside. Claiborne is on Ogletree’s back but not in position to defend the pass from Romo. In this case, Claiborne learned that you need to finish the play.

What Morris Claiborne needs to do is figure out these routes that NFL receivers run then try to find a way to slow the game down to make plays like he did in college. You see the talent but now it’s about staying healthy and learning every day...
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    A golden nugget from this article:

Young Guys Catching the Eye

I was asked on a radio program yesterday if fans should get excited about guys like Ben Bass, Adrian Hamilton and Alex Albright making plays against the 3’s and 4’s of the other team and my answer was of course you should. Any time a young player has a productive game you should get excited but now what you need to focus on is the next opportunity they will get in a game. It’s coaches’ jobs to put players in situations to make plays, we hear this all the time. What Bass, Hamilton and Albright did by showing up in the Raiders’ game, is that it bought them the opportunity to now get put in some situations against 1’s and 2’s and see how that goes. All coaches are looking for are smart football players that make plays. If Bass, Hamilton and Albright are able to carry over what they did in the Raiders’ game to this San Diego game, then it could very well go to either making the final 53 or if in Albright’s case, more work in some defensive packages. Receiver Dwayne Harris is also in this same boat when it comes to getting more of an opportunity. In Wednesday’s practice. Harris was getting some of the first team reps as a slot receiver that Cole Beasley was also getting. Be excited when players make plays and expect them to get more of an opportunity against better competition.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......Hamilton brought it all game but...his size will limit him IMO....hope i"m wrong. Any more info. on Albright? I don't know much about him: thanks in advance....
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I find it funny that they in this article it points out some good progress by ogletree, yet no one on this board even acknowledges it. That's pretty sad. Also what's sad is that the media rarely reports anything good he does. I can't believe the hate this guy gets over ONE freaking game where everyone had a hard time lining up. But he seems to becoming more consistent and I look for him to win the #3 job.
  5. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hamiltion is the exact same size as a ton of 3-4 OLB's in the league.
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah I have no idea where he got that from, Hamilton is listed at the same size as Spencer.

Biggest problem with Hamilton is that he might play the same position as Ware (also Butler's problem), not his size.
  7. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Albright has done nothing but make plays since he got here. hamilton has skills and we just stole that guy imo. Mcsudys injury bodes well for both those guys making the team. McSurdy is a hard working kid and will come back in a year and be ready to roll then. I actually thought AOA had a good game , which shocked me to be honest.
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,404 Likes Received
    Good observations, Pross...:)
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    The article also points out positives from Claiborne, Dez & Scandrick that no one has acknowledged. Hardly fans picking on KO.

He's earned his spot in the fan's doghouse with 3 years of marginally productive play. It's hardly because of a single game. Fans will lavish on KO if he produces consistently.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    AOA seems to play CB much better than safety. He should have been placed at CB from the time he was drafted and allowed to ease into the safety position. Instead, he was placed at safety and WR without getting a chance to play CB.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Sounds like Geathers fading.
  12. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,530 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    One game? The dude has been here how many years and is replaced by a dude off the street? He himself admitted he wasn't putting in 100%. He's been getting the 3rd WR gig by almost accident every year.

The frustration is the guy has the potential to be lights out. The coaches know this or he wouldn't still be hanging around. He chooses to accept mediocrity. Sad.
  13. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,685 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    You make a good point. Ogletree isn't getting the love. Maybe it's because he has played well in the past training camps, but then didn't bring it to the regular season. Hope this year is his year. The Cowboys have certainly given him the opportunity to make the team.
  14. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

McKayla Maroney is not impressed with Orlando Scandrick's recent 9.9 YPA.