1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: A Lot More To Tony Romo’s New Contract Than $$$

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 30, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,456 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    Mickey Spagnola
    DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – Maybe the predicted hysteria over Tony Romo[IMG] and the Dallas Cowboys coming to those inevitable contract terms on an extension buried the leads.

Sure the numbers are important, putting Romo on the books for seven years, $119.5 million when adding his six-year, $108 million extension to the restructured existing money onto the final year of his existing contract. That averages out to $17 million a year, right in the ballpark of the $16-$18 million average everyone has been predicting.

Immediately teeth started gnashing, igniting the debate over his worth, along with comparisons of guaranteed money to that of the recently-signed Joe Flacco’s $52 million. My goodness, how could Romo get more in guarantees than the Super Bowl champion quarterback? Easy, since I’m told Romo’s guarantee is not a cut and dried $55 million, that, along with his $25 million signing bonus, it’s really $40 million guaranteed that can turn into the $55 million everyone is touting.

Remember, Romo’s base salary for 2013 just doesn’t disappear, and neither did the remaining $5 million in cap proration from previous extensions.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ct-Than-/240b496b-4ee9-441b-ab68-58c6f362834f
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the post, WG.

I must have had a premonition a few days back, if Mickey is right.

:)
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,456 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    :welcome:

:)
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,327 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I like where Spagnola goes with this: The idea of Romo being given the freedom to call more plays. Hopefully, that would lead to us using the hurry-up offense more since we're so effective at it.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,663 Messages
    2,794 Likes Received
    I alluded to these quotes in another Romo-contract thread. Whatever it is they're planning, he seems pretty excited about it.
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,327 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I think it was easy to see last year when this offense was at its best, and it wasn't when Romo was huddling up and getting plays from Garrett.

Romo making decisions with Garrett's plays at the line of scrimmage is something Dallas definitely needs to do more often next year ... and maybe that's why Dallas hasn't said much more about who will be calling the plays.

If Garrett/Jerry/whoever examined what went right, they know they need to put it in Romo's hands.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

2,784 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    If they are inhurry-up mode, then Garrett needs to just sit on his hands and let Tony run the show; but, when not in hurry-up, Tony will be able to keep the opponent off-base by having a running game to supplement his passing attack; I hope that we improve the OL with a FA and 1st rounder and then grab a RB later to back up Murray, a change of pace guy like Barner would be lovely;

but yes, if we are reading the smoke signals floating skyward at Valley Ranch correctly, then there is something brewing with the offense...I can see them having more opportunities with the defense forcing more stops (if healthy)..

...good times if this is true
  8. zack

zack Well-Known Member

1,972 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    I thought it was an interesting article and now looking back on the brief interview with Romo post his signing, maybe he's going to have more input. I think that there was some overtures last season. Specifically when Romo was interviewed between games. You could sense he wanted more input on playing calling.

I like that he said they have been working on things, different things. That's exciting to me. I just hope that there is a plan to get better up front. Especially for his and Murray's sake. I really feel that is the plan. I just think that Romo really wasn't going to sign a long term deal without knowing the desire to better the offensive line.
  9. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,254 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    So for all those lamenting the huge payday Romo got, you've got to subtract from that an OC salary to get his true QB salary, eh? If Mickey is right, of course.
  10. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,254 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I sure hope so. I'm hoping Jerry promised to do everything he can to improve the O-line for him. That plus letting Romo have more of a Peyton Manning approach to the game (calling own plays), and we might actually be better than 8-8 next year after all.