1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: Dawning Of A New Day Defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 8, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    Mickey Spagnola
    DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – Right from the beginning, and the beginning was precisely 10:30 p.m. (CT) on New Year’s Day, the Cowboys knew darn well why they were heading home heads down with a sorely disappointing 8-8 record and without a postseason ticket punched, while the New York Giants were scampering into those coveted NFC playoffs as the East Division champs at but 9-7.

Why, the New York Giants, as we’ve previously pointed out over the offseason, had handed the Cowboys a blueprint for necessary renovations, first in their 37-34 victory over Dallas exactly 21 days earlier and then lastly in their 31-14 win over said Cowboys during a three-hour time span that first day of 2012.

Your defense is not worthy.

And the Cowboys didn’t need some nosy consultant to tell them any more. When you give up 23 points a game over 16 games, when you give up at least 24 points seven times, with four of those for more than 30 points and representing half of your losses, you ain’t going nowhere once the 17-week season has been completed. Not with that defense.

You know, sometimes 24 points just has to be enough.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Defense/8b53f0a0-a8fc-49db-9837-1e9fb15dc575
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I really think the defense will be much improved, however most of us thought they looked pretty good after 1 week last year. Actually most of us thought that till we played Philly, or around that time.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    A solid article.

Yeah, the offensive line did need and still needs some resources, but the secondary the last couple seasons has been god-awful.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    At which time they lost their confidence.

But the truth is that defense started off with injuries in the secondary and talent level of this defense is certainly greater.
  5. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,764 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    I didn't...after 3 games, my friends thought I was nuts, as they kept saying, man we got a defense, we have a defense.
    I said, no, they will be the downfall, it will be the same old thing. Yeah, looked good in some games. But too many issues still.
  6. GusTheo

GusTheo Active Member

166 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Yea, but I think the fact that the defense played well in Week 1 against the team that has tormented us the most really helps.

The Giants have absolutely torched the Cowboys defense. They have are a legit aerial threat, and the Cowboys were able to contain them for the most part.

If the quality of opponent was weaker, I thin you'd have people biting their tongue a bit more.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    The defense did play really well early in the year last year. It wasn't a mirage. Jenkins got hurt, Newman's play dropped off, and our Safety play really tailed off at the end of the year.