1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: This Program Heading In The Right Direction

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,478 Likes Received
    Mickey Spagnola
    DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – Home is usually good.

You know, home for the holidays; home for the summer; home on leave.
    But home for the playoffs is not.

And for the third consecutive season the Dallas Cowboys are sitting at home this weekend, not involved in the NFL playoffs. Not this wild-card weekend and certainly not next weekend’s divisional round of games reserved for the top two teams in each conference and this weekend’s four winners.

Ba-humbug. Nobody is in a good mood.

Not you.

Not the local media.

Not the coaching staff here at The Ranch.

Not the players.

And for sure, not the owner, Jerry Jones spewing his frustration this past Wednesday on his local 105.3 The Fan radio segment, saying, unprovoked, mind you, “I can assure our fans this, it’s going to be very uncomfortable from my standpoint, very uncomfortable for the next few weeks and months at Valley Ranch.”

Absolutely, not a soul is happy with 8-8, especially on the heels of an 8-8 season, the only time in the 53-year history of the Cowboys that they have finished .500 in consecutive seasons and just the fourth time overall. Not a soul is happy landing there by losing the final two games of the past two seasons, which includes the final game of each season playing for the division title.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...irection/93624232-3830-477b-b688-058cba2e7ba9
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,451 Messages
    3,019 Likes Received
    I have to agree with Mickey...

This team is better than the one in 2011.

And the one next season will be better than this one.
  3. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,094 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I am Soooooo tired of the media spins and explanation that losing equates to winning.

It doesn't. Not in football, not in marbles, not in the Battle between the Sexes nor with your local newspaper/media

What a bunch of bilge water, Mic.

Really.

:starspin RedBaLL ExpreSS :starspin
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........but what else do you expect from the head cheerleader? Spags has no credibility, he says this every year after this team wins 6-9 games. :banghead:
  5. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'm ok with one more year with JG at the helm, but after that if we don't see marked improvement (e.g. Playoff wins) then it's time to move on

I get the process but we need to progress
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,031 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    So... 9-7?

:D
  7. LUVDABOYS

LUVDABOYS Member

235 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Not buying it AGAIN Mick... something needs to change. Not change for change sake, but a legitimate, needed change. I'm not sure exactly what that change is, but I suspect a new offense and a offensive coordinator would give me something to look forward to next year.
    I'll get some flack for this one, but if I was Jerry the first person down the road is Jay Rat. It's obvious to me that Jerry thinks he was milking his injuries and could have helped the team if he wanted to. I've wanted a big NT since Ferguson left and have always felt he was playing out of position. Rat's lack of production this year and bad attitude just puts me over the edge. Him being gone only helps the team and forced them to do what they should have done awhile ago Imo..
  8. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,875 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    This will make you feel better...Rat had two years left on his contract when the powers that be tore up his contract and gave him a fat bonus and extension.

They finally get a contract where the player is outperforming it and they chunk it the trash, pure genius.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    Yeah, can't wait to have a better 8-8 team next year.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    ...:laugh1:...
  11. JsnSA

JsnSA Member

169 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I don't know..it seems like the off season has been the best time to be a Cowboys fan over the last few years. We are always just a few moves away from becoming elite.

Then the season starts and after a few games you find the same old problems.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    I wonder what it is that people find so threatening about some of us liking the direction of this 8-8 team?
  13. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    So they're all miffed and upset? like they didn't see this coming? This team's destiny was etched in stone 8 months ago and it didn't take Nostradamus to figure it out.

They must be play-acting for the fans,,, feigned surprise and disgust so that we get the appearance of motion and change on the horizon,,,

I will acknowledge that they are incrementally better than last year though,,, and a year older.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Not necessarily a year older. We're getting younger, overall, and adding good players in each of the last two drafts. We're getting younger, and better, but still complaining about our direction, basically.
  15. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,409 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Tony isn't getting younger. No replacement in sight. . What direction were we headed again?
  16. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    437 Likes Received
    This headline was probably more palatable the year we beat the Eagles in the playoffs and got owned the next week in Minnesota. Up until the one area that was exposed as a glaring weakness against the Vikings, the offensive line, was completely ignored going into the next season.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    you really flatter yourself.

Most of us are waiting for this so called improvement to show up in the win loss column. Until then its just hot air.
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I completely agree with this article. This team is different than the past despite another 8-8 finish. We finally have a YOUNG foundation coming together around Romo. Keep Garrett, keep Romo, keep building on this solid foundation. This team fights harder than teams we have seen in the past. We just need a few more pieces to complete the puzzle. We are almost there! Don't give up on them now. It's too early.
  19. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Exactly. We are no longer an expiring older team from the Parcell era. We are a growing young team with a few notable pieces from then. Romo, Witten, Ware. The pieces that should be here.

It's completely different. Some don't see it yet, but I guarantee they will soon.
  20. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Maybe the same thing we were thinking when the team went 8-8 the year prior??:rolleyes: That 'right direction' line was the same then as it is now. The only thing that is known about next season is that the players - those who remain - will be another year older. All the rest is pure speculation