1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: This Program Heading In The Right Direction

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    not surprised that you cannot see the difference between a team that while 9-7 has the ability to win it all and this years team. Not surprised at all
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    Cleveland went on a run as well. What did they win 4-5 in a row? Big deal.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,520 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    It actually is a big deal. That's not easy to do for a perennially rebuilding club. I think CLE should have stayed the course with Shrumur another year, too.
  4. ohiocowboysfan25

ohiocowboysfan25 Member

376 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    So who should we blame for the offense not being able to move the ball at the beginning of the year when most everyone was healthy? Everyone seems to be quick to use injuries as an excuse but we weren't exactly undefeated when we didn't have all the injuries in the beginning of the year.
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    That's not who the new Owner wanted though.

IMO our season was just a microcosm of one season, and that's all. Every season is different in the NFL. You know that. Otherwise the Gents would be planning for there trip to NO this year. They were healthy all year and found a great running back and returner.

I'm not sure we even got hot, we played from behind in every game and fought, but I put that on Romo more then coaching.

Then as we always do, we lost our last two games. We can never make it easy. This team needs new voices, now! Before its too late.
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,908 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    It's not threatening but I find it disconcerting. I mean last year was a better schedule and less injuries and we are 8-8. This year I hear the injury excuse and all but the reality, as pointed out in other threads, is that we were .500 with the players before injury and other teams, in the playoffs, had more guys on IR. The offense didn't progress or change from what Garrett did the year before and he still made the same mistakes and we had the same penalties. In fact I could say we regressed because of how we started every game and fell behind...preparation. The only thing people are hanging their hats on is "toughness" or "not giving up" yet that still got us .500. Why do so many get so excited about those 4th quarters but ignore the first 3 quarters of bad football and futility? They all count the same. So, yeah, after 16 years of nothing and a team that didn't do too much the last few years I don't find being at .500 while other bottom dwellers in the division pass us as the "right direction." JMO
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,614 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    The defense and punt return game progressed this year.

The offense? Not so much...except Dez.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,520 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    Every season is different, I agree. Though there are trends.

I don't think we ever really got hot, either. Our offense was in a shambles early and the defense playing very well. As we got up to speed with the brand new C and every single starter new or playing a new position, we gradually started to play better offense. But by then the defense was hurting through attrition. The whole season was sort of an abortion in that regard.

It looked like we started playing better mid-season, but that was a function of the OL solidifying from the early chaos, the WRs fixing their adjustment problems, and the schedule. From that point on, we played well, and just didn't have the firepower on defense to beat the better teams consistently.

That said, I do see the trends. We're getting deeper. We're doing a good job identifying veteran FAs. We're drafting well. We're playing well in the 4th quarters of games. We've always had good QB play. Our defense is quite good when healthy. Dez looks like he might have developed into a young gamebreaker for us.

Personally, I'm fairly sure we're on the right track under JG. Let's say a 75 on a scale of 1-100. Now, I completely understand people being fairly unsure of the guy. In fact, I understand the entire range of possible takes on that same scale. I think it's perfectly reasonable to look at record alone and to have a negative take on the guy for that reason alone. I don't agree with the take, but I see that there are valid reasons to believe it.

What I don't get is people looking at the sum total of what's going on with the team and concluding that there aren't reasons to be excited, too. It's been a while since we've seen some of the signs of life we're seeing now. And it's been since Parcells' time since we've seen the young part of the roster getting stronger instead of weaker. I just don't see how being patient hurts us in this case.

Tony Romo and Demarcus Ware are the reasons most often cited for being impatient, but I think any change at this point means a year or two more of adjusting the roster no matter who we hire. With Garrett, at least, we're only looking at one more season of leeway here before something significant is changed. Why not sit tight and see what happens?
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,422 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    Right. Only around here does 8-8 and 8-8 = improvement.

Ever hear the term 'enabler'?

Yes, the sole measure of success in the NFL is victories. All else is hollow speculation amounting to nothing.

And this has never been a 'rebuilding project'. Unless maybe that's the latest excuse for Garrett?

Save the 'injury excuse', it simply carries no weight. And I find 'effort' to be a loser's mantra as well. Did you win? No? Then you lost.

And you tell me where the more valuable players are. QB or RB? OLB or ILB? I know what my answers are.

And I think most of you are fans who will accept anything you get in the name of that fandom. To the point of trying to defend mediocrity with no tangible results to do so.
  10. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,489 Messages
    165 Likes Received
  11. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,233 Messages
    620 Likes Received

Great Post, my thoughts exactly.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,165 Likes Received
    Correct.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,450 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    The next time he is critical of a Cowboy coach will be the 1st time.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,641 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Comparing the team from a year ago to the current team:

Romo... Same. Romo is Romo, lot's of good. And can fall apart when trying to do too much. Much prefer Orton over Kitna as the main backup.

WR's... Same. Dez wasn't as good a year ago, but Robinson had put in a terrific season. No Robinson this year. But Dez stepped up his game. Harris shows some potential.

TE's... A little + this year. Witten is a year older, but hasn't shown to be declining. Phillips is Phillips... Just sorta there. Really like what Hanna showed.

Offensive line... A push. It was poor last year. Just as poor (but in different ways) this year.

RB's... A push. Kinda unsettled last year with injuries and Felix not performing up to snuff. The same this season.

DL... A fall-off this year due to Ratliff's almost full season of injuries and the Brent situation. Hatcher did extremely well this year and Crawford was showing a little bit.

LBers... A big ++ this year. Injuries, but the overall group is much better.

Secondary... +. Not as much as the linebackers but a tandem of Carr and Mo is superior to Jenkins and Newman... Not even close.

Yeah, this year's team looks better to me than it was a year ago.
  15. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,880 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I don't know if its better....but I REALLY don't know where the Cowboys are headed....what type of team are the Cowboys....IMO there are more holes to fill this year than last year.... The Brent situation really puts the handcuffs on the Cowboys in a bad way.....RATLIFF has to be shown the door... but all that does is create another hole on the DL.

Cowboys are in bad shape...they need OL/DL help in the worst way...but they just have to many needs at this point.

Offense...needs overhauled 2-3 players at least on the OL
    Defense...needs...a NT is a must....OLB..resign Spencer(?/doubtful) Then what about Safety......

Face it folks.Cowboys are in trouble.....Pete Carroll rebuilt the Seahawks to be big and aggressive team in 2-3 years..... While Dallas is still trying to figure out how to play finesse football. What type of players are the owner and HC really looking for.....Big and aggressive or RKG stuff
  16. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Focus on the OL and DL this off-season and I do see improvement next year.
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,229 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,229 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Didn't the Packers get to the Super Bowl with several significant injuries?
  19. MichaelWinicki

31,641 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Maybe the Packers had a better overall club?
  20. MichaelWinicki

31,641 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    No question, players need to be "churned" on both lines.