1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: This Program Heading In The Right Direction

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,962 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Yeah we're 2-9 since last year against playoff teams....ouch!
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Looking at the guys that could have their contracts restructured will create some cap room. Not for a couple "Grade A" linemen but enough space for serviceble players.

Give this team another guard like Livings and you'll see some good things along the offensive line.

As far as drafting, yeah there was some misses... no doubt about it.

But Crawford played well this season as a rook.

Before his accident, Brent was putting together a nice season as a young guy, so I wouldn't say choosing d-linemen has been a big a problem as drafting o-linemen.

I would expect the team to draft a couple new linemen and pickup a couple freeagent linemen so come next training camp you'll see a couple new names along each line.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,862 Likes Received
    It's the inconvenient truth that staunch supporters try to ignore.

And it usually ends up killing threads like this when it comes out.
  4. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    At this point we're arguing schemtics.

When it comes right down to it, it probably doesn't matter if the team was better, the same or worse than the team that ended 2011.

The most important thing is where they'll be at the end of July.
  5. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,962 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Yep and to expand on things:

This is how we stack up since last year:

2-9 against playoff teams
    2-6 against non-playoff teams that finished at 8-8 or above
    12-1 against teams below .500 (our only lose to a team below .500 came against the Saints this year)

So teams that finished at 8-8 or better since 2011 we're 4-15 and 12-1 against teams below .500....ouch!

But hey it's a process :rolleyes:
  6. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,358 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    And it shows improvement. :rolleyes:
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    We shouldn't be seeking "serviceable" players along the lines while paying top dollars/picks for cornerbacks.

As long as that's true you will not win.
  8. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    Wow.

You really have to be out of touch with reality to make a statement like that.

Nate Livings is about as ordinary and marginal a starter as you'll find in the league. He's a band-aid until you can find talent.
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    If you have proof that Livings had a subpar season, lay it on me big daddy.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Redskins are in the playoffs with most of their offensive linemen being "serviceable".
  11. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    I don't agree. Not even a little bit.

And any Cowboys fan who thinks our OL simply needs another Nate Livings doesn't know what the heck he's watching on Sundays.
  12. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Is this where I'm supposed to come up with some geek numbers crunching like that piece of crap PFF to support the obvious that Nate Livings is a stiff?

No. I don't need to go back and perform that exercise. I have eyes and a brain. I don't rely on a website to tell me what I saw and what to think.

I didn't dig up any numbers on Gerald Sensabaugh either and he sucks too.
  13. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    OK, you don't agree.

Got it.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received

Ah! The weak eye/brain thing.

Sensa did have a bad year.

If you think one performed at the same as the other, then maybe we can start a collection so you can have lasik done.
  15. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    That's right. I don't agree. They are the best rushing team in the league in part because their OL is lightyears better than the slop in Dallas. Which just set a record for rushing futility. While giving up nearly 40 sacks with a very elusive Tony Romo.

Ya know, the line that only needs another ham and egger like Nate Livings to start seeing some good things from it.

Now somebody open the safe. I want to marvel at our cornerbacks again.
  16. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    Livings played no better than Sensabaugh. I can't believe I even have to tell an adult Cowboys fan this.

How you can think a minor tweak of another Livings added would solidify this slop into quality is without a doubt one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read on a sports forum.

I mean, no offense but some things are so far out there it's difficult to pretend it has some semblance of a point.

We're talking about possibly the worst OL the Cowboys have ever had.

Just need another Nate Livings.

W.O.W.
  17. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Well-Known Member

1,391 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    One of the best articles I'v ever read...Mickey did a good job....

If Jerry is the smart business man everybody say he is he would extend Jason Garret right now and let him continue rebuilding this team...

Haters will keep hating .. And also idiots will keep hating ... Anyone who denies the good job and progress JG has achieved is either a hater or an idiot...

When Garrett was named the HC the WHOLE world (media, fans, analysts, etc) said Cowboys are in "REBUILDING" mode...I would be OK with 1-15 record if I saw the progress I've seen these past two years... I won't mention what progress...just go read the article again and if you don't recognize it (or don't WANT to recognize it) then realize that the problem is YOU....stop hating

:cool:
  18. Risen Star

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    I believe in Garrett but I wouldn't call anyone who doesn't an idiot or a hater. The fact is there is no tangible evidence of even a hint of improvement.

And a well timed article from the biggest Jerry lackey out there shouldn't change anyone's opinion.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    Not at all. Not sure why you'd even suggest that. It's a good sign, not a bad one, that your team wins games against weaker teams and loses them to better teams. That's what happens when you build a roster to compete with the best teams in the league.

Like it or not, there are factors other than wins and losses that factor into building an NFL program. Sure, we all wanted and expected to see more victories this year, but there's variation from season to season in this league for every team. Even good ones don't overcome every issue, every season. And that's not 'making excuses.' It's just understanding how the league works.
  20. MichaelWinicki

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    OK so in some odd fashion you think both players performed to the same level.

Weird.