1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Spagnola: This Program Heading In The Right Direction

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 4, 2013.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    Yea. That must be it since I said both sides do it.
  2. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,935 Messages
    480 Likes Received

Yeah I just don't get it! When does having a losing record against winning teams go excused? I could see if we had a rookie or second year QB who is still learning but we have a 32 year old QB that has been starting for 6+ years, and we have one of the best pass rushers and one of the best TE's who aren't getting any younger!
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I keep asking you this question, and I'm not understanding your position. My answer has been that it's not excused at all. We're getting beat by better teams. But we already know that, because we all already know what our record is. Highlighting the fact that we're consistent in that context is not a negative. It means we need to improve to beat the good teams, which is exactly what you'd want to see under the circumstances. Isn't it?

Would you prefer we were up and down against good and bad teams, alike?
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,638 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    Considering we are at the top of the salary cap, don't expect it to improve any time soon. This team reminds me of the guy who rices out his Honda Civic. Spend a bunch of money on shiny new parts, but at the end of the day, it is still a Civic.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Wow, that's some beautiful spin you put on that one. :laugh2:

I'm serious too, I don't even know what someone could say to that.

"Losing isn't bad, it means we have to get better, which is what all losing teams have to do."

Just stick "It's a process" at the end of that statement and you've got a classic Garrettism.
  6. Idgit

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Those top-level salary cap numbers don't mean much. There are huge devils in those details. I know I don't have a good handle on where we're at in that regard. I do think we'll have the room to maneuver if we want to use it.

I care more about improving through the draft and college FA, anyway. And incrementally via veteran free agency. Either way, across the board, we're doing a good job identifying and churning talent the last two or three years here.
  7. CyberB0b

3,638 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    The problem is that we need about 4-5 offensive linemen, 3-4 defensive linemen, a couple of safeties, and a lot of depth in other positions. That isn't getting fixed in 1 free agency period, especially with limited cap space.
  8. pjtoadie

1,935 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Ok.....but we're not getting better against the good teams though! We've only beat the 49ers and Bengals the last two years that have made the playoffs. How many seasons is it gonna take? When Romo is 36? So we're beating the bad teams like we're supposed to and it's consistent but why us having such a horrible record against winning teams go excused like it's no big deal?!

We won 13 games in 2007 and 11 in 2009 but what have we done since then? Yes I know Garrett is a first time head coach but he has been with the team for 6 years so he's very familiar with the team etc.

I know that I posted records against the good teams and bad teams but even if we have made the playoffs at 9-7 the last two years and maybe won a game or two then that would be progress! We had our chances in week 17 the last two years but didn't come through!

I guess we'll agree to disagree but I know a lot of posters on here agree with me :D
  9. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,235 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Okay so you want all of us to raise our hands in defeat and give up and say this team sucks with no hope for improvement. Yeah that sounds like a real winning attitude.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,451 Messages
    1,269 Likes Received
    Nobody is saying that at all.

I'm a fan just like you, I hope for improvement every bit as much as you do.

I just don't want to be sold a bill of goods where someone tries to qualify this as 'improvement' with zero tangible evidence of it.

To me, the 'losing attitude' is trying to convince yourself and others that this mediocrity is in any way acceptable.
  11. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

208 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This excerpt was from the original full length article:

"Marcus Spears doing whatever was medically necessary to drag his degenerative knee out there as a starter once Kenyon Coleman was lost for the season."

Since when does Marcus Spears have a degenerative knee condition? Has this been widely reported before? If this is indeed the case, we can add another DE to the ever growing list of needs along with NT, RT, RG, S and backup RB.
  12. Idgit

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    With the exception of the Packers, our team is similar to the wildcard teams from this weekend. Obviously, the Ravens, Skins, Seahawks all beat us, but only that SEA game was out of reach. We don't have that far to go, all things considered.
  13. pjtoadie

1,935 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    I'm not saying let's all throw our hands up and just give up! I'm saying that the mediocrity this team is showing has got to change, that's all!

:bow:
  14. CyberB0b

3,638 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    That's the thing. There is parity in this league. The teams that win get in. We lost all of those games. We just didn't lose as badlyas last year. If that is an improvement, then this team is in for another long 16+ years.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    These 8-8 seasons do nothing more than keep Jerry and the fanbase thinking that only a player or two will have this team contending. The major changes that are needed will be put off for another year because the Cowboys are so close. In reality, some major changes are needed at several levels to make this team a yearly contender. Dallas are not right there with those teams you listed. They lost to them all and their record is not so good against teams with winning records over the last few seasons.
  16. pjtoadie

1,935 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    4-15 against teams that were 8-8 or better since 2011
  17. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,524 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    In Vegas playing the slot machines this is called the tease, the jackpot emblems keep showing up making you think you are close to winning when in reality you are no closer than having nothing showing, you are just wasting your money chasing the tease. in this case 8-8 and a strong finish is the tease and in reality we are no closer than we were at 6-10, 5-11, 13-3, or 1-15'. The odds are changing but our method of winning is not, one factor still remains and that factor is the "chiller". Come on down Jerry Jones.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Thanks for the support. I needed those numbers.
  19. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,036 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    As the saying goes.." If's and but's were candy and nuts, oh what a happy world this would be."

Hmmm..I guess it's safe to say Jerry Jones is in his happy place with his if's and but's because not much has change as you are suggesting.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  20. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Actually, the team has a pretty good rotation at DE if the team decided to use it's personnel properly. Rat, Hatcher, Crawford, and Lissemore are ALL perfect fits at the 5-Tech DE. But, alas, our front office just hasn't been smart enough to keep them all there and go out and sign/draft a REAL NT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!