1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Spears changes number

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyschmps3, Sep 5, 2011.

1. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Spears Switching Jerseys To No. 98

Posted by nickeatman at 9/5/2011 3:56 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

With a new contract and a new scheme, maybe Marcus Spears figured it was time to switch jersey numbers, too. After six years with No. 96, Spears is moving up two, switching to No. 98.

The veteran defensive end talked to reporters for a while Monday about various things from the new scheme and contract to his groin injury that should have him practicing on Wednesday.

LINK
  2. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,742 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    That's an eye-opener.
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,250 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    wow suprising. I guess this is part of a new spears. He did look more disruptive in preseason. IDK looks to be moving quicker or something, more active.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    we'll look back on this as a turning point in Cowboy history
  5. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    I really think Spears should see time inside, if he is willing. He is stronger and heavier than Rat. Maybe have Rat and Spears swap line positions before the snap of the ball.
  6. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,777 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I wonder why he is making the change after all these years?
  7. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Would like that.

Rat at NT is a touchy topic. At one point, he has established himself as a Pro Bowl caliber NT. At the other point, he often gets abused by double teams at the point of attack if he can't shoot the gap, and seems to be wearing down.

I am of the opinion that while he should stay at nose, he needs to be moved around like you said, and preferably we should get a backup NT that is a true space eater.
  8. texbumthelife

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    We see eye to eye once again. I don't want him switched to DE permanently but, I think it would be tremendous for him in the long and short run to cut down on the wear and tear.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,410 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    He switched from 96 to 98 incase anyone was wondering and can't click the link on their phone.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,000 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    The original Roy Willy tried that, didn't help.

Geather's got 96, he didn't buy it from him did he?
  11. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Yeah, I just don't like him always lined up inside. I feel we are very susceptible to A/B gap runs up the middle, and as much as I love Rat, I think he is partially to blame.

He gets moved a decent amount when double teamed, as his strength is not holding ground on point of attack, but shedding blocks, and shooting gaps. Obviously shedding blocks is one of the most important things in football on defense, but it's near impossible to shed a double team, and on A/B gap runs, he is most likely going to be getting double teamed. He needs to hold the point of attack and let our inside backers flow.

I don't know how effective he is at doing that anymore.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,865 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    I didn't read the article, is Spears switching to try and revitalize himself?

Roy Was clearly in desperation mode.
  13. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    When you are invisible every week it doesn't really matter what your number is.
  14. texbumthelife

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    Guessing and hoping this is in regards to Roy W. Spears is one of the most underrated players on this team and the reality is, he is vital to the success of our 3-4. At least until we have an adequate/superior replacement.
  15. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,551 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Ouch!
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,940 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    Spears is only invisible if you don't know what you're looking for.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kind of weird seeing a fullback sport a number in the 20s.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,389 Messages
    1,439 Likes Received
    The only other one we have ever had was Richie Anderson, and he wasn't a "true FB."
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,202 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    I don't care what number this new Cowboys fullback puts on his back...that number will be around loud pops at the line of scrimmage. And a running back will be breaking off of it.