1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.Com Staff Selects Minicamp Standouts, Gives Predictions

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Jun 14, 2013.

1. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,868 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    DC.Com Staff Selects Minicamp Standouts, Gives Predictions

IRVING, Texas – Minicamp and Organized Team Activities have wrapped up and the players won’t be seen on the field again until they head to training camp in July.

This week’s mandatory minicamp gave everyone a final look at where the rookies could be slotted and how Monte Kiffin’s defense might look after all the changes this offseason.

Here are some standouts and predictions after watching minicamp:

Breakthrough Player:

Nick – I really think Sean Lissemore is going to thrive with this defense. He’s an athletic player in a 300-pounders body. He can get up the field and he can hold his own against the run. I really think the 3-4 scheme was a bad fit for him because he was a natural “tweener.” But in this scheme, Lissemore should be a perfect fit as a 4-3 defensive tackle. Rod Marinelli did a great job with Henry Melton, and it’s not a stretch to think Lissemore can excel.

Rowan – It’s tempting to go with Barry Church, but most people already enter the season with rather high expectations for the safety. So instead, let’s go with Tyrone Crawford. The 2012 third-round pick gave reason to believe in his potential last season. This switch to 4-3 end could help him create pressure. With the Cowboys franchising Anthony Spencer, they may need to develop another player to take his place next season. They’ve kept Crawford at end for a reason.

Bryan – I have really liked what I have seen in these camps from Lance Dunbar and potentially his role as the third back in this offense. In the open field he has been outstanding catching the ball and making people miss and that includes Sean Lee who is the best cover linebacker they have. I can see Callahan creating some packages that puts him one-on-one with defenders allowing him to use his quickness. Jason Witten and I were talking about him recently and he couldn’t say enough good things about his potential ability and I agree.

David – Morris Claiborne. We had a conversation as a staff about whether Claiborne qualifies, considering he’s already a starter. I’m putting him here because I expect him to make a Dez Bryant-type jump in his second season. He’s bulked up a little bit, he’s had a complete, injury-free offseason to prepare and he should have much better safety help in 2013. And speaking of Bryant, Claiborne has also been tasked with defending one of the game’s best receivers throughout the offseason. He doesn’t win every matchup between the two, but there’s no better preparation than working against Dez Bryant every day. I think Mo delivers on the No. 6 pick hype this season.

more here:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-1/DCCom-Staff-Selects-Minicamp-Standouts-Gives-Predictions/1642569d-9a47-483e-a211-2f627c2736c9
  2. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting this dmq. I liked the read.