1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Super Bowl or Bust for Woodson

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    Super Bowl Or Bust For Woody

Sarah Piland
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    July 1, 2004, 5:32 p.m. (CDT)

IRVING, Texas -- He's no longer the elder statesmen in the locker room, 13th-year veteran Darren Woodson gladly handing off "gramps" to 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde, five years his senior.

But make no mistake: This five-time Pro Bowler still has logged more time in this Cowboys' locker room (12 years) than any other player currently with the organization. So what he has to say carries significant weight.

Woodson knows the defense must compensate for the loss of starting corner Mario Edwards, and that plays must be made if this team is to even have a chance of repeating last year's 10-6, playoff-appearance season. And ever the realist, Woodson says he'll take a wait-and-see approach to all that.

But while that might be the case, Woodson has been around long enough to anticipate a low threshold of patience from Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells his second time around. Since Parcells has a much better handle on the team's strengths and weaknesses with one season under his belt, not to mention a better understanding of individual players' capabilities, Woodson says the head coach likely will be expecting more from this team.

That, though is fine with Woodson. Even though he turned 35 during this past April's NFL Draft, he expects more from himself, too, and you will gain a better insight into the crafty veteran through this recent Q&A with the starting strong safety.

You used to talk about being the oldest player on the team, you're not anymore.

Woodson: I know. And it feels great, too. It's good not to be the oldest guy, but you know, at the same time, I'm still the oldest guy on this side of the locker room. Vinny knows what he's doing, he's professional, he understands the game and hopefully what he does can rub off on Quincy (Carter) and some of the young quarterbacks.

How many more years do you have?

Woodson: How many more years do I have to play? I don't know. We'll take a look at it. I take one year at a time. I've said this for the last two years because you know every year is a different challenge for me. So this year there's another challenge for me. I want to get to a Super Bowl, I want to win a Super Bowl, and then we'll see what happens after that. Right now, I'm just gonna take them one at a time.

Parcells said as you get older the tread on your tires starts to get less and less. Are you feeling that at all?

Woodson: Yeah, it does. I'm the same way. I know my window of opportunity is closing. So I'm gonna take advantage of every opportunity that I have. And I think we have the opportunity to get there. We have a chance to win the Super Bowl as long as we do the right things, as long as we practice hard and do the little things, we have a chance.

What do you hope to achieve this year personally?

Woodson: Super Bowl. Super Bowl victory - that's it. That's the one thing, to go to Jacksonville and win the game. I don't have any other small goals. I mean, I do have some individual goals as far as myself, but at the same time it's really about the Super Bowl.

Last year you guys had a great defense, so do you think it will be even better this year after being under Parcells for a year and learning the system?

Woodson: That's a wait-and-see deal. We lost Mario Edwards at the corner; we have a vacant corner spot right now, and there's some guys battling for that spot. It's gonna be hard to play at the same level that we played at last year, but we may have some breaks that go our way and we'll see what happens as the season goes on. Talent-wise, I think we'll be a lot stronger, but we're still gonna have to make some plays in order to win games.

From this time last year, what's different about this locker room?

Woodson: There's definitely more talking. You don't have to come looking for me anymore. You got Keyshawn (Johnson) and (Marcellus) Wiley and Vinny, and whole bunch of other guys. We've got some veteran guys that know how to carry themselves in the locker room, know how to carry themselves on the field - they're professional. I think it's going to be a different locker room. It's gonna remind me a little bit of the '95 team when Michael Irvin, Deion and a whole bunch of other guys that would come out and do a lot of talking were here.

Parcells says he's gonna be less patient this year. Do you sense that at all?

Woodson: I can see that because he understands what our strengths and weaknesses are. I think he knows what we can do good, and if guys are playing up to their capabilities. I think Bill's patience is gonna wear thin.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received

Hos, didn't you post something on the old board about not liking Darren Woodson?
  3. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    No, I don't like his alma mater though. :D
  4. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received

OK! That sort of talk is going to come back and haunt you mister!
  5. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leaving out all the politics involved in HOF nominations, and the anti-Dallas feelings by some electors (I'm pretty much convinced that there is some truth to this), is Woody with his three rings and 800 career tackles HOF material?
  6. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can tell if Woodson wins the big one, he's ready to retire. I hope we can win one for him. I'll be sad to see The Assassins split up. I wish Woody could have been just a few years younger and we could have watched Roy and Woody headhunt for years!
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,199 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    If HOF voters are going to continue to hold safeties up to Ronnie Lott standards to make it in, it will be hard for any safety to get in. Throw in the fact that Woodson's a Cowboy, I wouldn't bet on it.
  8. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How many All Pro appearances?
  9. Hostile

119,053 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    He is HOF worthy in my opinion, but I doubt he will get in. Now if he played for the Steelers it might be another story.
  10. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know, Nors. I will look it up later.
  11. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    He should be given due consideration. I don't know of another safety that's played the game at that position for as long as Woodson has that had his power/speed combo. Barb, Darren Woodson was a legit 4.4 man coming out of college. AND he played (Lord please forgive me) a "Hybrid" position in college as a S/LB. So he had to learn how to become a conventional safety at the pro-level.

And you couldn't ask for a classier guy on and off the field.

He could hit like Cliff Harris but he had the coverage ability of a corner. That in itself is an amazing combination.
  12. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,843 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    5 straight pro bowl appearances from 94-98. He has 3 rings, but he was a starter for just 2 of those. I think he played only special teams and nic. back in 1992 (rookie season). I think he will be right on the bubble for the HOF when it comes down to the voters, but I would put him there. If only every Dallas Cowboy could be like Woodson. The guy is a class act all the way.
  13. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

thats borderline - If this team wins the Super Bowl he's in. The Steeler logic which I do NOT agree with. The voters do though.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    What is going to suck is that most HOF voters will give John Lynch more consideration than Woody.
  15. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    The media hype for Tampa sickens me. Lynch is not the player Woodson is/was.
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received

They're not even in the same zip code.
  17. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not even in the same Country
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,575 Messages
    5,494 Likes Received
    Tampa's defense should take a step back this year. Too many players moving on in free agency will catch up to them. Thank God!