1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Training Camp Tidbits: WR Not Top Priority

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,937 Messages
    3,889 Likes Received
    Posted by nickeatman at 7/27/2011 6:46 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

While the Cowboys won’t be allowed to announce any roster moves until Thursday, it’s being reported that Roy Williams won’t be returning to the team in 2011. The Cowboys are planning to cut him, according to numerous reports, in an attempt to save about $5 million off this year’s cap.

But even with Williams not in the picture, don’t expect the Cowboys to make the receiver position a high priority in free agency.

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said he didn’t think the Cowboys would be aggressive to add a replacement to Williams. One player who could return to the team is unrestricted free agent Sam Hurd, a five-year veteran who is one of the team’s top special teams players. Look for Kevin Ogletree, Manny Johnson, Jesse Holley and rookie draft pick Dwayne Harris to have a solid competition for the top backup spots.

Read the rest: http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,682 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Training Camp Tidbits: WR Not Top Priority
    Posted by nickeatman at 7/27/2011 6:46 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

While the Cowboys won’t be allowed to announce any roster moves until Thursday, it’s being reported that Roy Williams won’t be returning to the team in 2011. The Cowboys are planning to cut him, according to numerous reports, in an attempt to save about $5 million off this year’s cap.

But even with Williams not in the picture, don’t expect the Cowboys to make the receiver position a high priority in free agency.

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones said he didn’t think the Cowboys would be aggressive to add a replacement to Williams. One player who could return to the team is unrestricted free agent Sam Hurd, a five-year veteran who is one of the team’s top special teams players. Look for Kevin Ogletree, Manny Johnson, Jesse Holley and rookie draft pick Dwayne Harris to have a solid competition for the top backup spots...
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,958 Messages
    2,327 Likes Received
    Morning, CCBoy.

I think they're going to look forward to next year's draft for WR help. Free agent pool of WRs isn't very good.

Kind of wishing we drafted Rahim Moore at Safety :-\
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,682 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Good morning, Sir. It shall be done!

Hope your studies are mellowing out now...but grabbing your focus.
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kevin Olgetree will have to step up...
  6. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,085 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I hope Ogletree steps up but it will probably be the kid from ECU that fills the void. In the meantime Romo and Hurd have good chemistry and that is as important as anthing to me.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,682 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    As long as Hurd's pricetag stays below two million.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,337 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    I am excited to see what Dwayne Harris can do. the kid is a great player and I really think he will excel in the Slot. Just a question of how quick he can get up to speed with a shorter than usual learning curve.
  9. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,720 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Who are the 5 guys we take into the season?
  10. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,610 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Apparently making any acquisitions to actually make this team better in freeagency also isn't a priority.
  11. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd like to see Holly get a real shot too. I like his work ethic and consistent effort. He may surprise if he actually gets a chance.
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,909 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    We'll know more in the days ahead when free agent acquisitions are announced. I, too, had hopes for somewhat stronger indications of activity in the free agent market but it's early yet. Perhaps the limited cap space is limiting the feeding frenzy with us but that could easily change somewhat in the next day or two. At least, I'm hoping so, as it's far too early for despair right now. Let's see what develops.
  13. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,720 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Holley??? Are you kidding me? We just came off of a 6-10 record last year, and you want The Boys to give the #3 WR spot to Jesse Holley??? No matter what his work ethic and effort is like, the guy is just not talented. We need to get rid of all the bottom feeders who are taking up roster spots. He will be cut in TC.
  14. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Under Wade guys didn't get real shots to prove themselves. I'm just saying I'd like to see Holly get a good shot to prove himself in training camp.

SO CHILL!