1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: DC.COM: Twitter mini-mailbag: Will T.O. talk ever stop?!?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 16, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,906 Messages
    3,856 Likes Received
    Jul 14
    5:24
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

We’re smack dab in the middle of the slowest few weeks of the NFL year, which seems like a good time to bust out a Twitter mini-mailbag. I always try to give 140-character-or-less answers to questions received (@espn_macmahon), but we’ll go a little longer here.

How do you see the defense ranking this year? Top 10? 5? -- @wChadMiller

I wouldn’t wager on top five. If they aren’t top 10 with this new crop of corners, that will be a major disappointment. The Cowboys finished 14th in total defense (343.2 yards per game) and 16th in scoring defense (21.7 points per game) last season.

I'll take a great pass rush over great DBs any day. Do you think Dallas did enough to improve pass rush? Will anyone besides DWare be able to rush the passer with any consistency? -- @MJThrill

The question is, how much will improved cornerback play help the pass rush? You can say the Cowboys didn’t do much to immediately address the pass rush, as I don’t anticipate third-round DE Tyrone Crawford and fourth-round OLB Kyle Wilber playing significant roles as rookies. But the Cowboys hope the major investments made in corners Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne pay off for the pass rush. It stands to reason that if the coverage makes quarterbacks hold the ball a bit longer, one-step-slow Anthony Spencer will be on time a lot more often. It’s also worth pointing out that, as much as we rip the pass rush around these parts, the Cowboys tied for seventh in the NFL with 42 sacks. The pass rush will seem a lot better if the secondary makes more plays when pressured quarterbacks do get rid of the ball.

Read more questions: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb.../twitter-mini-mailbag-will-t-o-talk-ever-stop