1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Under Further Review: Spencer Was Locked in against Panthers

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 23, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,921 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

Thoughts from the film room at Valley Ranch:

• Have to give this front office and the coaches credit for sticking with linebacker Anthony Spencer[IMG] when the public opinion last spring was quite the opposite. Without Spencer in the lineup these last two weeks, this defense has lacked a point-of-attack player that could also provide some much needed rush off the edge.

Not only was Spencer outstanding on the Panthers’ final drive with pressure and the sack, but he was also strong throughout the day against Carolina’s read-option scheme, which requires focus and discipline.

There was a play late in the third quarter that proved to me that Spencer was really locked into the game. The Cowboys had just taken the lead 13-7 with time winding down in the third quarter. Carolina faced a third-and-1 from its own 30-yard line. In this situation, you knew that you would probably get some kind of read scheme with Newton carrying the ball. The Panthers get in “12” personnel with Spencer standing up outside on the defense’s right side.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Panthers/23770bb5-1b7c-4ea9-a1d0-4e620a139fea
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    Broaddus is increasingly becoming a shill (Mickey 2.0)

We should credit to the front office for having to overpay for an average OLB because they did not have a plan?

OK :rolleyes:
  3. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Did you actually watch the Panthers game? Or any game with Spencer this year for that matter? He is not and never will be Demarcus Ware 2.0 so everyone needs to get that out of their head. There are other ways to be an outstanding outside linebacker than racking up sacks. Spencer constantly shuts down the run and provides pressure on the QB. What more do you really expect? open your eyes and actually observe, rather than forming an opinion and sticking to it regardless of what actually happens on the field.
  4. visionary

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    did you understand the point of my post?

do you know how much we are paying him this year?

do you know why we are paying him that amount?

is he worth that much/year?

no one is saying spencer is bad

lack of planning in terms of personnel is not cause for celebration

i agree

take your own advice, open your eyes and actually observe
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Give me a break. You haven't watched the games.

You really want Victor Butler out there over Spencer? There's a reason why you watch on TV and the coaches are paid the big bucks to coach/scout/etc.

Just sit and watch. You're good at that. Leave the commentary and actual personnel aspect of the game to the professionals. You're embarrassing Cowboys fans nationwide.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    Spencer played VERY well.

So what?

Still not worth the price we paid to keep him.

And the boys are still not offering him any kind of real deal to sign him
  7. visionary

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    once again, reading comprehension is elementary

i have watched the games but the point was, even though he is playing well he is not worth the price we are paying him

we are donig this becasue we did not have a plan, that is a short-coming of the front office not something they should be lauded for (as Broaddus was attempting to do which is why i called him a shill)

do i want butler out there? no, but that is a blatant strawman (and par for the course for you) and has nothing to do with the substance of my post
  8. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Stop the personal attacks! Debate on the facts, but leave the personal attacks out of it. Using insulting phrases or innuendo words instead of direct words to insult someone is the exact same thing.

#reality
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    During the off-season, you could tell the Cowboys wanted to replace Spencer. They simply found no available options they liked over what Spencer could provide this one year. Yes, they overpaid for him because he is playing on a franchised-player contract, but he is better than the rest of our depth behind him (Ware is in front of him of course) and they only have to pay him this season.

Would any of you have been happy had they signed him to a 4 year contract just so they could lower his cost? Of course not. Neither would I. Blame it on the money if you want, but the bottom line is that the team is better with him than without him this season and I am glad they did the smart thing which was not offer him a multi-year contract this past off-season.

I am really excited about our younger players and their potential next year and worst case, they can hit the free agent market again. For now, it was a smart move and it shows given the games Spencer missed this season.

#reality
  10. casmith07

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Wrong. You tell me what other player right now, at the SOLB position, was either available in the draft or in free agency that would provide the same level of play that Anthony E. Spencer II has provided for this team not only this year, but in previous years. I'll wait, because the list is short, as in there's nobody on it.

This is purely conjecture, and absolute speculation on your part, and it would similarly be conjecture for anyone here that was not a part of the front office to suggest otherwise, as well.

It isn't a strawman argument. Spencer's backup on the depth chart is Butler. Without Spencer, we would be starting Butler, because as stated before -- there was nobody else on the list of free agents nor in the draft prepared to step in and provide comparable play on the field to Spencer or Butler.

Ultimately, most of the experts here were wrong about Spencer. He appears to be actually entering his prime, which only means good things for this defense going forward. The cap number doesn't matter this year, as we are clearly fine. However, I would expect the Cowboys to extend him for 4-6 years either this season or in the off-season. The defense is playing outstanding, and one of my biggest pet peeves of Spencer's play last year - getting beaten by play-action fakes and crashing too hard down the backside of the line - he's corrected.

The Spencer Hater Foundation has no argument anymore.
  11. burmafrd

41,822 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    hater is rather a strong word for what I felt about Spencer. I thought he was a good player but NOT what we need.

And I was ABSOLUTELY against him being franchized.

Still am.

Now that is not saying we could have gotten as good from albright; clearly not butler.

But considering the risk the boys have run the last two years with the health of their franchize QB by going bargain basement on the O line I thought the risk of letting Spencer go was less
  12. visionary

7,849 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    i agree with what you are saying, as currently constituted, spencer is the best option at OLB for us opp ware

my problem is that the fact that spencer was a FA last off season should not have come as a surprise to our FO

since they did not plan to sign him long term (as you point out), the FO should have had a plan to address this glaring issue but they did not

so, when broaddus says:

"Have to give this front office and the coaches credit for sticking with linebacker Anthony Spencer[IMG] when the public opinion last spring was quite the opposite."

that is not the statement of an objective person but a shill employed by the cowboys because no objective person would make this statement if they are aware of what transpired in the off season

the FO "stuck with him" because they had no other options due to poor planning not because they are a good FO

that was my point that others tried to hijack
  13. casmith07

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Now we know that both of those things were not one in the same, however.

People keep himming and hawing about Carl Nicks, but I don't think he ever wanted to play here in the first place.
  14. burmafrd

41,822 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    I would have loved Nicks but the price was way too high.

Instead Jerruh went way too low for what we got. THough Livings looks like he might be a good Kosier light
  15. casmith07

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Bernadeau will be replaced this off-season.
  16. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    I doubt it. He signed a multiple year contract with money up front. The only time I can recall where we've cut somebody with only one year in his contract is TO. And that was done for team chemistry matters. Bernadeau is only 26 with 3 years remaining in his rather cheap contract ($11M).
  17. casmith07

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    I said he'd be replaced, not cut.

He'd make a good backup swing guard.
  18. burmafrd

41,822 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    as depth he might be OK. Just not as a starter
  19. casmith07

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    In the first round I think we'll either go Guard or Safety.

I have a mancrush on TJ McDonald, the Safety from USC. Walter Football has us taking Vaccaro from Texas. Not sure how I feel about that one.

I would be supremely content with Barrett Jones, the do-it-all lineman from Alabama in round 1.
  20. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Spencer will get 10 sacks this year... He's playing out of his mind.