1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Video: DC.com Video: Rob Ryan Interview

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bluestang, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,487 Messages
    678 Likes Received
  2. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,660 Messages
    8 Likes Received
  3. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,097 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    This will go unnoticed.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I think the scouting staff has done a great job the last few years.
  5. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,235 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    It can't be true. Jerry is the DEVIL!
  6. Bluestang

5,487 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Titles...they define everything but mean nothing.
  7. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,235 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Unless of course it is super bowl titles :trophy: :D
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,568 Messages
    5,298 Likes Received
    I'm going to let a cat out of a big bag, here, but those debates about how we assemble talent, were about drama completely unrelated to how we assemble talent. Everybody here knows that already, right?
  9. Idgit

29,568 Messages
    5,298 Likes Received
    Kinda cool that they call them 'takeovers' rather than 'takeaways.'
  10. Bluestang

5,487 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Yet the drama persists with other threads, doesn't it?
  11. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,498 Messages
    1,770 Likes Received
    If it had been anyone but me reporting how we actually do things pertaining to personnel no one would have had an issue with it. You know that already right?

In other words, the drama was produced by that direction. I merely defended what I already knew was correct information. Notice how the same guys aren't rebutting Rob Ryan. But may show up now because I broke my silence. It won't be to say they were wrong.

Guaranteed.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,865 Messages
    7,262 Likes Received
    I don't care who says it. Anyone who tries to tell me Jerry Jones is kind of like an athletic director, an empty suit and doesn't routinely exercise his power as GM and final decision maker on this team is wrong. Way wrong. He wouldn't covet the gig so much if he didn't like the power.

I'm literally embarrassed that we even have to have this debate.
  13. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,247 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Please, please find any way to keep Tom Ciskowski in Dallas. If he leaves we will be back to awful drafting by Jones and the Cowboys. In fact, Jones will promote another Garrett crony to handle the job of drafting and free agency and we will be cursed with lack of talent because of it.
  14. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,394 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I believe the samething was said when Ireland went to Miami with Bill.
  15. Idgit

29,568 Messages
    5,298 Likes Received
    It was.

We're on a pretty good run here in recent drafts. I don't care who gets the credit. I imagine it's one part a coach that knows what he wants, one part a scouting staff who can identify it, and one part a warroom willing and able to go up, or down, to get it. As long as the roster keeps getting better with young players, we're heading in the right direction.
  16. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The stupid debates will never end.

But back to the point, I think this front office has done an amazing job of digging guys up and putting them in position to help this team. They deserve a ton of credit for what they have been able to do.
  17. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,247 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Well if Tom Ciskowski leaves he will be replaced by one of Jason Garrett's brother. I rather have someone who is proven than someone who gets to draft people because he is the head coaches brother.
  18. Risen Star

20,865 Messages
    7,262 Likes Received
    Yes. An amazing job. I look at this roster and marvel at all the talent.
  19. Risen Star

20,865 Messages
    7,262 Likes Received
    Ciskowski doesn't get to draft anyone. He compiles the information and leaves it for the decision makers on the team to decide.

But if you feel that way, what do you say about Ciskowski's boss, the VP of Personnel, only having the gig because he's the Owner's son?

And what has Ciskowski proven anyway? Has he ever been part of a winner?
  20. Risen Star

20,865 Messages
    7,262 Likes Received

Our last three drafts that equates to a "pretty good run", with a reasonable outlook on each pick....

1(24) Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma St. - This looks more and more like a bad decision by the day.
    2(55) Sean Lee ILB Penn St. - Injury concerns but still a hit.
    4(126) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB Indiana (Pa.) - Wasted pick.
    6(179) Sam Young T Notre Dame - Garbage.
    6(196) Jamar Wall CB Texas Tech - Couldn't play.
    7(234) Sean Lissemore - Looks like a decent role player. Hit.

So what we have here is one really good player but he's injury prone. He may or may not have a great career because of it. Dez is an infant mentally. We all know he's not reaching his potential. Lissemore is a rotational sub.

1(9) Tyron Smith T USC - Grand Slam.
    2(40) Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina - Beast.
    3(71) DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma - Solid pick but injury prone.
    4(110) David Arkin T Missouri St. - Can't play.
    5(143) Josh Thomas CB Buffalo - Swing and a miss.
    6(176) Dwayne Harris WR East Carolina - Could be an emerging return man.
    7(220) Shaun Chapas FB Georgia - Not an NFL player.
    7(252) Bill Nagy C Wisconsin - Shown nothing and injury prone.

Two outstanding players at the top and another that could be if he could ever stay on the field. The last 5 picks were a waste unless Harris sticks as an impact return man and/or receiver.

1(6) Morris Claiborne CB LSU - Actually cost 1(14) and 2(45). Nice player, waaaaaay overpaid for him. No impact whatsoever.
    3(81) Tyrone Crawford DE Boise St. - Has shown nothing yet to warrant the pick but it's still early.
    4(113) Kyle Wilber OLB Purdue - Is he on the team? Oh.
    4(135) Matt Johnson S Eastern Washington - Evil Knievel had less injuries. Which could be saving us from seeing he can't play. Like his draft grade outside of Dallas suggests.
    5(152) Danny Coale WR Virginia Tech - Practice squad.
    6(186) James Hanna TE Oklahoma - Hasn't done anything but hasn't had a chance yet either. A complete unknown.
    7(222) Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana St. - Everybody's favorite lunch pail pick. Then camp started. Selling insurance in the fall of 2013.

We stand a very good chance of coming out of the 2012 draft with, wait for it, a cornerback. ~confetti~.....~party noise makers~

Now I would agree this three year clip is better than Jerry's norm, but Jerry's norm is horrific. There's a huge gap from that to quality and I think it's a real stretch to claim we're on a "pretty good run" here with our drafting. In fact, if you look at the 4th round on, when teams build their quality depth, we're still pretty bad.