1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

DC Comics Green Lantern relaunched as gay superhero

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by trickblue, Jun 1, 2012.

1. trickblue

trickblue Not Old School...Old Testament...

30,196 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    DC Comics Green Lantern relaunched as gay superhero
    By DAREH GREGORIAN

One of DC Comics oldest heroes is super-coming out.
    The original Green Lantern - a DC Comics mainstay for the past 70 years - will be revealed to be a gay man in next week's issue of "Earth 2."
    Alan Scott - formerly a married father of two who first appeared in 1940 - tips readers off to his sexuality early on in the comic when he gives his boyfriend a welcome home kiss.

"He's very much the character he was. He's still the pinnacle of bravery and idealism. He's also gay," "Earth 2" writer James Robinson told The Post.
    The Emerald Guardian's sexuality was rebooted along with the rest of his fictional universe as part of DC's "New 52" initiative aimed at rejuvenating their characters.

Robinson said he decided to make the change because making the character young again meant erasing Scott's gay superhero son out of existence.

"The only downside of his being young was we lose his son, Obsidian, who's gay. So I thought, 'Why not make Alan Scott gay?'" Robinson recalled. "That was the seed that started it."

He ran his idea by the bosses at DC, "who signed off on it without hesitation."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More

2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    So pathetic.

3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

34,767 Messages
    2,862 Likes Received
    LOL ..... they punked out and made it the most unknown version of the Green Lantern.

If they had any guts they would have made it Hal Jordan or John Stewart.

Freakin Publicity stunt and nothing to do with gay rights.

4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

23,866 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    It's just a comic book. Get over it.

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received

I'm trying to figure out where he gayness will make a differance in his Super Hero life. Will he be a flaming lantern now? :lmao:

6. Doomsday101

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received
    I expect that Sea Man would be the gay super hero.

7. joseephuss

23,866 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    I doubt it makes any difference.

I've been wondering how their reboots have been doing. The "New 52" have been out several months now and I haven't bothered to research and whether they are selling well or not. My bet is most hardcore DC fans don't like them because people typically hate re-inventing characters they have loved forever, but I don't know that for a fact.

8. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

7,557 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    Oh... No.... :puke:

Get a room....

9. Doomsday101

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received
    I have never been a big fan of the comics. I have read them at times as a kid but never really got into it much. This week they were holding comic book and sci-fi show here in Houston with everyone dressing up as their favorite hero or caracter so I know some take it seriously.

10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I don't have to. They are forcing this agenda down our throats in every segment of society. So no, I don't have to keep quiet about it.

Maybe you should get over someone having an opinion.

11. Doomsday101

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received
    Thor would seem a logical change. At least it would get a lot of laughs as he introduces himself as Thor. :lmao2:

12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

25,021 Messages
    4,429 Likes Received
    Hal Jordan is the only Green Lantern I ever cared about. At least it wasn't Batman like the rumors were going. Even though Batman seemed like the obvious choice.

13. Doomsday101

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received
    I could not see Batman, Robin yes but Batman no way. :laugh2:

14. joseephuss

23,866 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    How is it forcing something down your throat? You don't have to buy the comic book. You have a choice. When you have a choice, then it is not forcing anything.

I don't mind you having an opinion. You are welcome to it. So am I and I think your opinion has no substance. And I never said keep quiet about your opinion. I said get over it. Big difference.

15. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They are attempting to ingrain their agenda in the youth by doing this. And suppose I am a big comic book fan, then they would be forcing it down my throat. I am saying that it is a never ending march by these people to shove this garbage down our throats in every area of society. your position would have me not partake of something I enjoy because of a political agenda.

You saying "Get over it" would suggest that I shouldn't voice my opinion. Too bad. Maybe the gay community should get over the fact that Gay marriage is unnatural and is rejected by the vast majority of this country, yet they don't "Get over it".

16. speedkilz88

25,021 Messages
    4,429 Likes Received
    Both actually. You never thought about that? Bachelor that lives with a young man whose real name is Dick and has a secret identity named Robin and also nicknamed him the boy wonder. This is what the ambiguous gay duo was patterned off.

17. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Well-Known Member

2,571 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    In before the thread lock!

18. joseephuss

23,866 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    You would still be the one making the choice in partaking of reading a comic or not. And why you may miss out on something you enjoy, no one would be forcing you to read them. Homosexuals don't have a choice in whether they can get married or not. That choice is forced on them that they can't. And there are still plenty of comic book options for you to choose if that is your thing. This is but one character in one book. That hardly constitutes being forced on anyone and is far from pathetic.

19. speedkilz88

25,021 Messages
    4,429 Likes Received
    I think those who have his opinion would sing a different tune if it was Christianity that was being shoved down their throat. But that's just the way things are going.

20. Doomsday101

85,942 Messages
    8,612 Likes Received
    But Batman had the hots for cat woman so then he swings both ways? Robin no doubt about it.

Myself would not mind a gay wonder woman that could be pretty hot. :lmao2: