1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Despite Losing Ware and Hatcher, Jones Certain D-Line Improves

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 25, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

23,032 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    ORLANDO – When Jerry Jones sat down with a group of reporters on Tuesday morning at the NFL owners meetings, his first question asked him to address free agency. He responded by saying the defens...

Continue reading...
  2. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,343 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Jerry delusional as usual...
    w8lifter likes this.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,157 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    marinelli is better than ware or hatcher could ever hope to be

you add ben bass and i can see what jerry is smoking
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,400 Likes Received
    Hey, it's cool guys. Jerry's certain it'll improve.
  5. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,323 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Dood is " OH-IN-EYE-TEE".
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,973 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Marinelli's wand is in for repair, too.

We're screwed......................
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,823 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Legit reason for eye-rolls here.

But in this case, it was so very bad last year, I feel sure the dline will be better this year than last.

• The injury bug was almost not duplicable,
    • Ware was a non-factor last year
    • Melton should help..maybe a ton
    • Crawford returns
    • Bass returns
    • We will draft at least two dlineman..and I suspect at least one contributes in a big way
    • I think McClain and/or Mincey will contribute in a rotation...for example: McClain > Hayden, imo.

It's not asking or expecting much to improve on last year's line
    Fletch likes this.
  8. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,400 Likes Received

• But the guys who were injured for the most part aren't here anymore. Ware, Ratliff and Spencer. These were the big hits people complained about. We didn't get anything out of them. Well, we won't get anything out of them this year either.

And his "non-factor" year was basically Jeremy Mincey's career year.

Melton replaces Hatcher. In order for him to help improve the DL, he'd have to be an improvement over Hatcher's 2013 season. That is highly doubtful. He's never done it before.

A complete unknown. He's done nothing in the league yet and he's coming off a nasty Achilles injury. You can't point to him as a reason for improvement. You can only point to him as a question mark.

This is a joke, right? If we're dipping that low we might as well say the DL will improve this year on account of our upcoming UDFA class.

It's hard for a rookie to make an impact rushing off the edge. It's been done but it's hard to find. What I can say is it's highly doubtful the Cowboys will have Ware-like production pre-2013 out of any rookie DE this year.

These guys are marginal roster fillers. It's like saying our 2012 OL was going to improve because of Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

As we stand right now we've taken a bad DL and made it worse. That's what happens when you lose a DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher and replace them with Henry Melton. You're still down a stud. Crawford was coming back regardless.

We'll see what happens in the draft, I'm far more interested in a long term fix along the DL than impact his year anyway, but I don't see any way that the Cowboys will take the field in the season opener with the DL not being the worst level of their defense.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,823 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Guess we can check back in at the end of the season.

I think after FA and the Draft added to what we have, plus another year with Marinelli, this unit will be improved.
    If you don't think so, that's fine.
  10. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,400 Likes Received
    A 2nd year in the system is your best reason given.

Right now the Cowboys have a one man DL. One legit stud in Melton, but he's coming off a significant injury. They have one guy with some pedigree in Crawford but he too is coming off a bad injury. The rest are JAGs and camp bodies. To expect a rookie class to come in and radically change that is asking too much, IMO.

Can they be statistically better than the worst the team ever saw last year? Sure but I don't know if that means much. I'm talking about a real improvement to where the DL is not holding the team back from contending.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,058 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    It's not better now.

But I think it has a chance to be after the draft.

The fact is about 2,500 snaps were given to bad to very bad defensive linemen last season.

Yes, losing Ware and Hatcher hurts, but if say 1,700 of those snaps can go to average players as opposed to very bad ones... we'll then the defensive line will be better.
  12. Screw The Hall

Screw The Hall Well-Known Member

2,048 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Let's be honest, that's not saying a whole lot. That's like saying someone is nicer than Hitler. Big freakin deal.
  13. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,261 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I see where you are coming from. You have a nice break down. You ALWAYS do you homework. I respect that. I'm willing to wait until the season starts before condemning the defense. We can only go up from where we were. Melton should be an upgrade of sorts. Who knows what Marinelli can get out of Mincey? Bass and Crawford should be upgrades as well. The past gives us nothing, but what little we do know from these two did come off as a positive before they got injured. Time will tell. I will wait before making a judgement call.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I hate defending Jerry, but he's right.

Ware was almost useless. George Selvie was vastly superior to him. Hatcher made plays against awful teams, and none against good teams. Spencer was out. As was Ratliff, Crawford and Bass.

The new signings will be far better backups than the nobodies that rolled through last year. There's a draft in a few weeks.

How could it possibly not improve?
  15. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Hatcher only had one good year in Dallas, but Ware will be missed.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,584 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Love the Jerrythink. Its all going to be great…ha ha.
  17. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,063 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    If I hear more crap about Bass or Matt Johnson coming in and making a difference my head will explode. You can't make a difference if you can't get on the field. Lets stop putting stock into guys like this until they give us ANY reason to
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,980 Messages
    1,556 Likes Received
    I expect better from the D line that last year. Ware did nothing granted he played hurt but he gave us nothing. Hatcher had a very good season and Selvie showed he is capable. The rest were guys we were pulling off the street who had no camp time with us, they signed on mondays and played on sunday I don't think it is expecting a lot to think this unit will be improved over last season.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,940 Messages
    3,879 Likes Received
    I think you're reacting more to the juvenile posts that mock these players than to anyone expecting anything from either Bass or Johnson. Neither are considered more than role players here. Any upgrade we get from their play would come from them outperforming another role player at a position where we were weak last season.
    pancakeman and DallasDW00ds0n like this.
  20. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I think Ware still has a lot of football in him and will help the Broncos. Ware was hampered by injuries last year, but I think he will bounce back and be a good player. Hatcher is a one hit wonder, he was only good and only healthy one year in Dallas. He will be hurt this year and the Cowboys were smart not resigning Hatcher.