1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Mailbag: Any Hope Of Adding Starters In Free Agency?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 14, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

31,063 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    JOSH BACKMANBALTIMORE, NYNot to hate on the two new additions and the wondrous powers of Rod Marinelli, but don't you think signing a potential starter or two might be important? I know the money is tight but there has to be somebody out there who we can plug and play and won't break the bank.

Rowan: They’re certainly putting a lot of eggs in the Rod Marinelli developmental basket. We turn to
    George Selvie as an example of what the right system can do to a player’s career, but we often look past the numerous other players the Cowboys brought in to help on the line and cycled right out shortly after. I think the Cowboys have decided with their cap situation the way it is, they’re not going to overspend on any veteran free agents this offseason. That means piecing together all parts of their defense. But I do expect they’ll keep talks going with players like Jason Hatcher and Henry Melton as long as they’re unsigned. No doubt people would feel more comfortable with at least one recognizable pass rusher, and it’s a huge risk to assume a bunch of contributors will be enough.

David:I’ve got no doubt that the front office is having conversations with players, and has been since free agency opened. The problem is that the guys who you’d consider to be obvious starters don’t fit into the Cowboys’ tight cap situation. So I think they’re trying to find the balance between bringing in impactful players and being responsible with their money. I don’t think they’re done signing free agents, but the guys they bring in might not be the type who get your heart racing with excitement. If they can strike the right deal with a guy like Henry Melton, I think they’ll pull the trigger. Otherwise, the draft is where I’d look for big names.

STEVEN CRAIG
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    With DeMarcus Ware gone, would you still want to draft Aaron Donald or would it make more sense to go after a defensive end – someone like a Dee Ford or Kony Ealy?

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    They need one legitimate starter from FA, not just a rotation guy.
    pancakeman, coult44 and Common Sense like this.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,035 Likes Received
    You mean free agency isn't over yet?
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  4. boysfan69

boysfan69 Member

31 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    exactly i really hope we can get Melton otherwise not sure the plug and play starter is there Hatcher not sure he will come back so who else is left out there
  5. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,926 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I don't think they're going to get it tho... I hope for the best but I believe this is the first true rebuilding year for the defense.
  6. WoodysGirl

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Sure they will. It's only the first week of FA. They're not shopping for big $ guys. So we may not like the guy the sign, but they'll get at least one penciled in starter.
  7. starfrombirth

3,926 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Yes I know but what quality starting dlinemen are left? There weren't a lot to begin with and they all had questions. Jared Allen is older than Ware, Melton is coming of major surgery. Carrigan is a role player, Ayers is a role player. There isn't a single Dlinemen that fits your criteria. Having said that. I didn't expect it this year anyways. I'm happy taking the steps we have. I just want us to make smart steps going forward.

On a side note... thank you for all the work you do here. I truly appreciate it.
  8. WoodysGirl

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Very rare when you get a blue chip guy in FA on a koolaid budget. So knowing that, you gotta accept early that any guy they bring in is going to have warts, big ones. Let's hope we grab some overachievers in FA...and plan to grab some real talent in the draft.

To your sn: Aww thanks. I do it, because I know alot of folks like yourself appreciate it.
  9. starfrombirth

3,926 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you said but still no true legitimate starter... Or have i missed someone?
  10. WoodysGirl

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Nope. You haven't missed anyone. I just figure that someone they get signed who will be penciled in. They don't need a "name" guy. They need a guy who can actually play in the league...and not the arena one. lol
  11. starfrombirth

3,926 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Yep... lets just hope there's some more Marinelli magic :D
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,383 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Of course there's HOPE for a starter -- that doesn't cost anything. Trouble is, signing starters does -- and therein lies the problem.
    starfrombirth likes this.