1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DC: Mailbag: How Much Can Linehan Help Dez Bryant?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    NEWS & BLOG
    Mailbag: How Much Can Linehan Help Dez Bryant?
    Posted Jan 31, 2014
    [IMG]

TYLER CURRANS
    MURRAY, NE
    With all the talk of the change on the coaching staff, I really like the idea of Scott Linehan being there. He did a lot with moving Calvin Johnson all over the field, which obviously made him even more successful. Is it fair to say the same could happen with Dez?

Rowan: The Megatron/Dez comparisons have already begun and are going to start flying all over the place with the latest move. I think Calvin Johnson’s in an echelon of his own right now compared to any other players in the league at his position, but I do think the move for Linehan could help out Dez more than anyone. Linehan knew who his star on the outside was and he found ways to get him the football. I’d be surprised to see games where Dez gets just a couple targets based off of matchups.

David: I decided to do some very basic, unscientific research for this question. In the past two seasons, Dez has been targeted fewer than eight times in 11 of 32 games. It happened seven times in 2012 and four times in 2013. In the same span, Johnson was targeted fewer than eight times on just three occasions – once in 2012 and twice in 2013. Megatron has averaged 12 targets per game the past two seasons, compared to Bryant’s nine. Clearly, Linehan knows how to get his playmaker the ball, and I think Dez stands to benefit tremendously.
    http://prod.www.cowboys.clubs.nfl.c...z-Bryant/35367bf0-cb7b-4202-9522-f7c487b5371b
  2. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    David's take on Wilcox and Heath were interesting. I'm still intrigued by Heath but I'd prefer someone back there with more experience and let him learn slowly and be given time to be evaluated properly. I'm not writing either of them off yet either. And I agree they were thrown into the lion's den.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    The thing about Linehan and Megatron is that they had no choice but to feature him with an average running mate opposite him.

I do not think he will suddenly get more targets. Romo is to the point that he is going to get rid of the ball quickly to the open player.

I will say this though. Linehan loves dig routes and that is one thing Bryant does exceptionally well.
    dstovall5, pancakeman and jobberone like this.
  4. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I agree. I think we will see more crossing patterns and for goodness sakes how about some pick plays since the rest of the league does it. You're also going to see more passes to the RBs and we haven't had a back like Dunbar since Dorsett although Walker was close arguably better. Murray's no slouch either.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Only interested in how impacts the "W" column, probably not much.
  6. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,210 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    How about more slants, Irvin was almost unstoppable on those, especially when they needed a 1st down, and I think Dez can be also. Any one know how Linehan uses slants?
  7. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,210 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    More passes to Dez, more 1st downs, more TD's, more W's.....
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    More passes to anybody, easier to defend. less TDs, less wins.
  9. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    He may get us a victory or two but much depends on the defense.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,457 Messages
    8,344 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I understand this. Does Linehan call "throw it to Dez on three"?

It's up to the QB on where the ball goes to.
  11. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,344 Likes Received
    Besides, I don't see Dez Bryant as some underworked WR.

People stress over such non issues when there are huge fatal flaws on this team.
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    I didn't get a chance to read it. But regarding safety, does anyone have any more confidence that Matt Johnson will ever be able to compete for a starting position?
  13. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    I agree. I do wish we would design more plays to Dez, but he wasn't THAT underworked. He was underworked but it wasn't really a huge deal. Pro Bowl RB Demarco Murray being underworked is a much bigger problem than Dez. More plays to Dez = less plays to Murray.
  14. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,344 Likes Received
    He's averaged over 90 catches, over 1,200 yards and 12 TDs the last two seasons.

I think people are being unrealistic in their expectations. He's not under worked at all.
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    my philosophy or frankily the cowboys shouldnt be what should we do with Dez, it should be, how can we get others to contribute to making Dez more open or more involved with teh right plays and not just throw it to him in the hopes he can make the offense better. Which he clearly does, but we need better plays not just any play.

If Linehan or anyone can use a game plan that goes to the strenghts of our players and not our players fit their scheme, i think we could get more out of offense who should be worried about converting that third down instead of getting into the end zone or whatever they are thinking at this moment.

Sorry, Wittens best assest to us now is not as a starter, so I think Dallas should be concentrating on making whoever can step up the starter, not that the starter means anything but i would prefer Witten to have fresher legs in the game instead of slower feet in the game.

If Harris is better, and i think he is, Harris should be moved around and be more of utlity man that the defense has to account for whever he lines up at. I also feel if we can get more out of Cole or T Williams, than that will make for better plays,

Right now, all defenses that play us feel, we ll just wait til Romo makes a mistake, and its working for them. We have to get out of our stale mentality and get someone, anyone who will use our guys properly and to hell with statitics. Worry about moving the chains, not who does what but whos best AT what.
  16. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    a pattern I saw last season was that when teams focused on covering Dez, Romo went to his other receivers and tight ends. There could be improvement in countering the ways teams choose to cover Dez. Linehan brings that to the table.
  17. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    Yeah he does. There's generally a primary read in all pass plays.
  18. Risen Star

21,457 Messages
    8,344 Likes Received
    Of course there's a primary read on every play. I'm sure Dez is that on most plays. Linehan doesn't change that.
    jobberone likes this.
  19. jobberone

37,515 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    I don't know how often he's the primary but I'm hoping he's targeted more often.
  20. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,582 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    I would hope that with Dez getting a better grasp of the playbook and scheme he would be moved around more to take away what the defense is trying to do to stop him. Considering his ability to run after the catch it is crazy that he is not moved around more than he is - WR sceens, slants, even WR passes (I love the use of a trick play once in a while!!) Landry always used to come up with something when the other team least expected it to get an easy score. I miss that. Parcell's was a fan of some trickery as well. Keep the D on their toes!!
    jobberone likes this.