1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DC: Point: Can’t Ignore Needs Throughout Draft Process

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 7, 2014.

1. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,322 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    I think FA should be more for filling needs and the Draft for taking BPA. You never know how a draft will go. Last year it was a run on DL and OL. This year a lot of QBs may go early so other positions may slip. Even trading back has its downside if you miss on an immediate impact player because you think that position is filled.
    jobberone likes this.
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,033 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Absolutely!

I’d throw OL in the mix as well.

Let’s honest here, Free’s play wasn’t getting stronger as the year went on, who knows what we’ll get from Bernadeau and whether Leary’s knee will be OK and as for our backups…..
    jobberone likes this.
  3. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,277 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I would be ok with drafting just all defense with no offensive picks.
    jobberone likes this.
  4. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I hate that kid god no...
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,121 Likes Received
    Myself I think Dallas should go BPA that also fills a need. On defense that is DL and safety and offense OG. My hope is the BPA in rd one is DL but I'm not going to get upset in taking a safety if that is the BPA. I don't think you can go by just needs and I don't think it is strickly BPA I think it is both.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    I doubt that happens but I wouldn't get any heartburn about it. They are going to be looking at the OL and G/C is on the radar. They will look at another RB, a WR and don't have a heart attack but at a TE as well; at least a primarily receiving one.

They should be looking at a S, CB, and DL in the first but that's just a starter and anyone could be picked early on except QB and possibly T. JMO.
  7. jobberone

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    @jnday said
    I guess you're still hanging hope on Johnson filling the safety position.

If he can play then great. If not then you are already looking at others to play there. The kid deserves a shot.
  8. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,513 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Never happen--not with Garrett walking a tightrope.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    We have more than 1 pick so we should take the best player available but at the same time we need to stockpile DL with talent and hope we get lucky somewhere.

If the Defensive talent is lacking where we are picking and Marquise Lee is sitting there then go ahead and take Lee but for the rest of the draft we better be taking DL. Even if it's a bit of a reach.

We passed on Bennie Logan last year for a TE. Lets actually get some of these guys who can at least be a decent player for us.

The more OL and DL the better.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received

The Cowboys are very late to the party when it comes to cover safeties. They want the big in the box guy for some reason and wouldn't dare pick a guy like Earl Thomas if he were there even though that is desperately what we need.

It all goes back to our joke of a GM though.
  11. jobberone

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    I don't think that is true. Church can lay the wood and Wilcox even more so. That's not undesired but they want cover safeties with great range and instincts who can tackle.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,460 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received

The Cowboys want interchangeable safeties that are more like Wilcox and Church than a guy like Earl Thomas.

They want 2 do it all guys but it just hasn't even worked out.

I believe we need 1 safety that can fly sideline to sideline.
  13. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    So better coverage in the secondary wouldn't give the pass rush more time to get to the QB?
  14. jobberone

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    I think they want that. In fact if you're going to play a lot of 1 deep you need it for sure in this defense. You really need two cover safeties these days but they do have to be able to tackle. In fact all the DBs have to be able to tackle.
  15. jobberone

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    You're right. You need both. They are complementary. I still think the front is a tad more important but you can play an offense that gets the ball out quickly so you still have to cover. Consistent pressure is important.
    TheSport78 likes this.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    So you know Matt Johnson personally? Just curious.

With his injury history, i can't trust him either. He may end up helping us, but I'm sure not counting on it.
    But I don't hate the guy.
  17. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I have to know someone personally to hate them? Since when?
  18. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Just for you buddy kyle Wilbur in my sig :)
    jobberone likes this.
  19. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    This! Amen and amen!
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    I'd think you would have to know a heck of a lot about someone personally to actually hate them.
    I asked you if you knew him personally as an honest question.
    It's up to you if you want hate someone on personal level (not just because they are injury prone).
    Go for it