1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DC: Point: Can’t Ignore Needs Throughout Draft Process

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Just tell me there's not a net.
  2. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    We're on the clock at #16...we need to draft BPA. Dix and Prior are on the board. Who you got?
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    This is a deep draft at a few positions. OT, Safety, DT, WR all pretty deep. There are lots of positions we should be able to address without reaching for players. I feel like Marinelli is a good evaluator of talent all along the front 4 so I think we can draft some good DL players and at the same time, feel some other needs.

I do feel like if a standout WR falls or if a OG is there, we should consider that. We still need OG help IMO, that will not only upgrade the entire offense but it will also allow us to help our cap situation, down the road. Same with WR IMO.
  4. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    2,127 Likes Received
    Witten creates no separation. Stopped reading.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I think Free played really well. When he had issues, it was really when we started losing people at Guard. That's the thing with Free, and I think we've always known that. If you put him next to a Guard who can hold down his own position, that allows Free to play wide side technique and he doesn't have to help inside. That's when he gets in trouble. He has problems handling the inside set IMO.
  6. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,999 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    He's the one who is always open and people wonder why he's often the primary target on clutch drives.
  7. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I disagree. You take the 19th ranked DE/DT because THAT is the biggest need at the moment. Even if that LB is ranked 10th overall.

Folks, it's very simple AND complicated at the same time. When it comes to drafting EVERYTHING must be taken into consideration. Not just need, not just position, not just best player available, not just best citizen, not just who can contribute right away. Everything.

The reason why you don't take the 15th, or even 10th ranked, is because need is just as an important consideration as best player available. The most immediate need for this team, right now, is defensive line, therefor, it must be given priority when all factors are just about the equal and taken into consideration. The difference between the 19th rated player and the 15th rated player is not enough to pass over need. Last year was a perfect example of that and even by most Cowboys critics, it worked out well for Dallas.

Now, if the Cowboys had a roster where there wasn't a major need or question mark, then the best player available should be a priority, but even then, position would become part of the conversation as well.

Take it from a draftnick who's been watching the draft since 1983. There is no " this way or that way " that exists as a blue print for a guaranteed successful draft. Never have been.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Sure seems that way.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I don't agree with this at all. I would say that you have to evaluate everything, that's only smart. You also have to take into consideration cap issues going forward. That's something that really has not been addressed in this thread a great deal but you can't just pass talent up for lesser players when the obvious difference is there. You don't pass up a top 10 pick to take a player who might be 20 at a need position. That's how you flush entire drafts. We've had way too much of that already IMO.

Can't agree here.
    theSHOW likes this.
  10. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    2,127 Likes Received
    By open you mean has a guy shielded with his frame?

He creates no separation as was the original claim.
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,999 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I mean he's open more than any of our other receivers and is open due to creating separation. He runs his routes in a precise manner and gets open while the others seem to have problems doing so in a more consistent basis.
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,736 Messages
    1,946 Likes Received
    Yeah, if you're going to keep putting bandaids on this team, might as well draft pass rushers, massive DT, couple of linebackers, and one guard. Don't draft anything else, just focus solely on both lines. We have Dez, Witten and Williams, throw in Beastly as receivers, a good offensive line and really good Running back. We or may not have Ware, and we have secondary, they aren't all-stars but with a few adjustments in philosophy, they can be really really good, so focus on the lines. EXCLUSIVELY, unless JF falls to you. lol
  13. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,607 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    Dix is going to be an epic bust. His coverage skills are average at best. The only player that's going bust bigger than Dix is Manziel.

I'll take Pryor (only if Donald is already off the board).
    Texas_Pete likes this.
  14. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    He did play well for the most part, but I do believe he tailed off towards the end of the year.

Again I’ll agree with you regarding the play of the guy inside him, but again last year between Waters and Bernadeau we had better play at right guard that we’ve had for a couple years so I don’t think you can attribute any problems Free had solely to RG play.

Lastly a decent draft OL pickup that could replace Free and play guard in the meantime would be a great addition.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I'm never opposed to improving a position but I don't think we need to reach for a player at RT, early in this draft, when we have, what I consider to be, gaping holes at DT, DE, Safety and LB. We also have, IMO, a real need to upgrade at Guard.

Free, when matched with good Guard play, is better then just solid. He actually graded out #5 at RT in the NFL last season, according to Pro Football Focus, I believe. Now, I realize that some of these services are subjective to a point, but even if the grades are a bit off and lets say he's only top 10, that's still very good and for the money he's being paid, it's GREAT. I believe his cap hit this season is only 3.5 million. That's got to be among the best bargains around.

I just don't see RT as as big a need as other spots.
  16. IrishAnto

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Your right OL doesn’t appear to be as big a need as those positions you mentioned particularly the DL.

However with that being said the value of this draft in regard to the DL is said to be after the first round.

They spent a 3rd just last year on a safety who they surely knew would take some time to develop.

Does that mean they wouldn’t take a safety in the 1st?

I don’t think it does but I do think it makes it less likely.

The same could be said of LB with Wilber and Holloman showing promise at Sam and Mike respectively and I can’t see them giving up on Carter yet.

So your picking at 16/17 and you don’t have a trade down option.

No defensive player looks like good value at that point but you have Kouandjio or Martin on the board.

Both are said to be able to play Tackle or Guard and do it well.

Free’s contract expires in two years time (if I remember correctly).

Are the Cowboy’s willing to pay him big money again?

With the above scenario I take his eventual replacement that could play guard straight away if needed.
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,252 Messages
    5,504 Likes Received
    While they might not be "giving up" on Carter, I do think they look to give themselves some insurance. It might even be higher than most people think.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received

then explain why he kept going down hill even when Bernie was playing well next to him?
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    This isn't rocket science. Go check out how he ranked for the seasons among Guards and figure it out for yourself. You are too old to be wet nursed.
  20. IrishAnto

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I couldn’t be against that if the value was there, however it has to be there.

We can’t keep spending high draft picks (1st, 2nd rounds) on players and then a couple of years later spend another high pick to replace him.

That way we go nowhere.

I say he gets another year unless a really good LB falls to us.