1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Romo Can Feel The Difference In Better Protection This Year

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 25, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,155 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – The storyline that came out of the NFL draft last April – particularly the selection of Travis Frederick in the first round – was the need to buy Tony Romo more time.

Cowboys owner/general manager talked often, during the draft and after it, that the Cowboys needed to give Romo more time in the pocket and keep the number of sacks he takes below 2012’s 36.

The early indications are positive, according to Romo. The Cowboys are only three games into Frederick’s career, and they have had Brian Waters[IMG] on the active roster for just two. But Romo said he can sense a new level of comfort in the pocket this year.

Continue reading...
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Once Waters gets into shape, the protection will be even better.
    visionary likes this.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    He's got a real NFL center in front of him. Someone who doesn't get routinely overmatched physically every week. Huge difference.

How anyone could watch Phil Costa and think he adds any value to this team is beyond me. You're seeing just how bad he was with Frederick's play this year.
  4. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,064 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Frederick is going to make the Pro Bowl this year. Mark my words.

He is that good.
  5. dallasdave

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I just want Fredericks to keep improving this year and then hear form all those people who said he was a bad draft choice.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,176 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    As long as he doesn't have to block Dontari Poe again, maybe.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,176 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Agreed. The edge protection is a bit better with Free's improvement, but not having a center that gets blown back into the pocket consistently makes the biggest difference. It makes everyone better. Frederick is literally a freaking stump in there, and he's going to be a stump for a long, long time.
  8. dallasdave

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Fredericks will have his ups and downs, but we have to remember he is a rookie!!!!!!!!
  9. Risen Star

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    A stump. I like that. I think that's a good description of his role on offense.

An intelligent stump too.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,472 Messages
    6,175 Likes Received
    Costa missed all but a few quarters last season, but, yes, Frederick has been a major upgrade at that position, and it's great to see.
  11. Risen Star

21,416 Messages
    8,312 Likes Received
    Costa played in 2011. To laughable results.

And that great trade to get Ryan Cook made sure we could keep up that high level of play went he went down. That saved us from.....something, apparently.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,472 Messages
    6,175 Likes Received
    Yeah, well, we all laugh at different things. But the team was pretty high on the guy. We only brought in Frederick after all the other Mohicans were gone, so I don't think we went into that draft fixated at stopping the giggling at C. Either way, though, Frederick's been a massive upgrade over what we had last year, and it's showing on the field. We're both happy to see it, so we don't really need to go back and rehash our debates from 2011 at this point.

I'm happy with where we are at with the OL. We filled the hardest positions to fill with high picks, and upgraded the other interior positions the way smart teams often do: with a veteran street FA and by developing a low-round (in our case, college FA) candidate from the practice squad. We saved some picks along the way and are in a better position to address our DL shortcomings next draft, which I think we both agree are more important and more likely to require significant resources. We still need to develop a young OG, but we've got some time, now, to do it. We took some smart chances, and appear to have gotten lucky. I'll take it.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,452 Messages
    2,063 Likes Received
    Yeah, where are all those people now who were "breaking down tape" and telling us how good Costa and Livings "graded out"
  14. dallasdave

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    2013 offensive line is much better than 2012's offensive line.
  15. xobwej

xobwej New Member

23 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    And Rapingburgers and Elied can feel the difference in the loss of protection this year. They're looking pretty not good, particularly for "elites."

Welcome to Romo's and Rogers' worlds, among others, guys.