1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Scout's Eye: Some Under The Radar Stories From OTAs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,331 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – There’s only so much we can glean from a handful of limited-contact practices in the months before training camp starts. As the Cowboys get deeper into Organized Training Activiti...

Continue reading...
  2. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,113 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    Like the sound of the Sapp kid from TENN filling in nicely as a coverage backer. The front 7 should be a wide open competition outside of Melton, Lawrence, and Selvie (Mincey for contract reasons I guess). A couple of unknowns are bound to pop their head out.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I said it in another thread, say what you want about the Cowboys drafting over the last several years in terms of "bust," they seem to do a good job of finding diamonds in the rough in the UFA market.
    guag, scooper and BigStar like this.
  4. BigStar

4,113 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    Very true with Romo being a huge find; saved JJ from even further ridicule after striking out so poorly on replacing Aikman. Thanks Sean Payton! Kurt Warner is the only other story I can think of where someone rises through the ranks with such success. Miles for a little bit there, Leary, Church (productive though not the prototype), Dunbar, and Mr. Reliable = Dan Bailey. The team has struggled post round 3, but you're totally correct that they "almost ;)" make up for it in UDFA. Finding your franchise QB via UDFA was a blessing that JJ likes to vaguely acknowledge.
    guag and jday like this.
  5. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I also found it encouraging that Linehan is planning on getting the Rb's with the ball in space. Clearly, Murray is excellent at this, but I also see Lance Dunbar benefitting more from this than anyone - just too bad we don't have Felix Jones in his prime on the team now. It also suggest that Garrett is truly handing the offense over to Linehan and not forcing his scheme/methods on him. Here's hoping anyway.
    BigStar likes this.
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I'd say Ratliff is another, though he was drafted in the 7th round.
  7. BigStar

4,113 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    Yeah the team hasn't totally whiffed late; Harris (top returner and gunner) and Holloman were late rounders. OScan was a 5th as well. Crayton was another 7th round success story. It is more concerning in the 4-5 range tbh. The team seems to miss a lot in that range.
  8. BigStar

4,113 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    With the three athletic OL we have spread out amongst the line, we should be able to run more screens, organized swings, etc. Even Free is still pretty nimble; just lacks strength. Tyron could be a TE with his athleticism (just for argument's sake). He doesn't look like a lineman without pads.
    jday likes this.
  9. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Which is a big part of why this team has failed to be better than mediocre the last several years.
    BigStar likes this.
  10. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    This is a big part of why I am excited for the upcoming season. The offense, barring early injury, should be a force. It's the defense I still worry about.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. BigStar

4,113 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    I still say this team can sneak into the playoffs. The eagles aren't a dynasty and lost a lot of speed with DJ gone; allowing D's to shrink the field on McCoy. Skins are a big ? but are likely a year away with that D and RG still being shaky. The NYG are always dangerous bc of good coaching (unfortunately).

They would've made the playoffs last season with THAT D. Some argue the D is the same, if not weaker bc of Ware's departure (mainly), but the O has strengthened itself further with the Martin pick, a year of development for TW, and using an mostly unknown Escobar (in the slot if he hasn't developed the strength for inside blocking). Linehan was brought in mainly so the O would funnel through Dez and consistently find ways to use his presence for bigger plays (either for him or for single coverage somewhere else) Break that Romo-Witten connection just a little bit to allow the O to dictate their will, as opposed to simply taking what is given to them (current O). The team has put up good numbers but don't put teams away (YES, the D is the main problem; the O must find ways to cover until they are sufficient...unfortunately). The only chance this team has next season is to follow the NO SB team structure in which they relied on a potent O and a "good enough" D that made big plays just enough to hold (but will likely rank in the lower third of most categories, etc.)
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    jday likes this.