1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Woodson Says Cowboys Need Veteran Help Alongside Church

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 4, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,467 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    I'm not breaking my boo thang's feet, mmkay? lol
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,467 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    Perv. You've been hanging around BradPaint too long.
    Idgit likes this.
  3. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,822 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    Because when you're obsessed with receivers, corners & tight ends, other positions get passed over.
    khiladi, coult44 and visionary like this.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,150 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    Been saying this for a while
    Byrd should be our no. 1 FA target

FS is a longer learning curve than DL and there are no sure fire FS in this draft. It there are several DL that can start day 1 and make an impact
    DandyDon1722, BigStar and coult44 like this.
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,150 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received

We don't need a 1 year stop gap, we need a long term answer
    Sign Byrd
    BigStar and coult44 like this.
  6. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,557 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    It won't be easy, probably means restructuring Carr and Ware, BUT Byrd solves many problems with this Defense. The draft has an abundance of D Line candidates, only a few decent Safety prospects.
    4lifecowboy and coult44 like this.
  7. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Member

489 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    but with our sap situation can we do this?
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,232 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Im sure that what theyd like to see with Wilcox or Heath
  9. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,473 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Byrd and church would be a great combo @ safety
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    I personally think defensive line is more of this secondary's problem. I've seen teams with a worse secondary personnel wise get more out of their secondary because they have solid defensive lines.....
    big dog cowboy likes this.
  11. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

814 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    We need a safety in the worst way period.
    DandyDon1722 likes this.
  12. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

814 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I agree, if we are not planning on drafting a safety then we better be addressing it in FA and this guy is the best option.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,413 Messages
    3,662 Likes Received
    I have a feeling all of this wishing for Jairus Byrd is not going to end well.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,120 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received
    I don't think a draft pick solves the problem. It's difficult to play a rookie while they're implementing a new defense.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them target the Bear's free agent Safety. He knows the system and would be much cheaper than Byrd.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,946 Messages
    1,547 Likes Received
    I agree but would also say our lack of stopping the run which forces the safety to react harder to the run. if guys up front where doing their jobs it would help free up the safety
  16. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    I feel more confident in Wilcox and Barry Church improving for another year than I do Nick Hayden, George Selvie and Tyrone Crawford.....
  17. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,283 Messages
    2,712 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with a draft pick at safety although if so then I'd go in the first or second for the most part. I don't think they need a drafted safety. I think you should see what you have in Heath, Wilcox and Johnson. I'd agree with Woody. Get yourself a cover safety and I'm still a proponent of putting wise corners back there big enough to play the position. A veteran who can help Church and get Wilcox, Johnson and Heath ready to play later on is a great idea.
  18. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,734 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    and Spears on the DL..........as for safety
    I am in belief that Wilcox can be a very good player for us if given the time, maybe he makes a big jump this year who knows; but do you think Wilcox is a possible answer at safety, and if yes wouldn't you rather spend a 3 or 4 on safety and fix the DL in the first two rounds. It's a losers mentality to bet all in on Wilcox and think 4th round this year. I say draft football players and they are in high demand in Dallas. Now me?? If our DL man is gone at the time we pick I draft the second safety off the board at 16 and think only an idiot couldn't draft two dlinemen contributors in the next 3 round from this draft. Shoot.........I might go LB in round two or corner, and I'd still feel pretty strong about landing contributors for the dline in rounds 4 and 5. The new d-coordinator will have strong input and I'm thinking he see's as gooda dine guys in round 3/4/5 as in 1/2.

we shall see....I know there are 2 more months and this will come up again another 2500 times
  19. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,685 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    How long have we been starved for a safety who has the ability to stuff the run, cover the deep stuff and rush the passer.

Seems to me like Darren Woodson was the last one to own all of those qualifications way back when. Well, that's too long!
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,235 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    Right

On

The

Money