1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DCW: Ask Coach Parcells

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, May 29, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ask Coach Parcells
    editor@dallascowboys.net
    By DCW Staff

Q: What is the hardest thing for a young cornerback to do making the switch from college to the pros?

A: I think the most difficult thing is learning how to properly evaluate your opponent. It is hard the first time around to be cognizant of the skill of your opponent. A corner has to figure out what a receiver seems to do well and how as a defender he can counter that strength. He needs to know how to break down that aspect of a receiver's game.

Because of that, sometimes you really need to direct a young cornerback on how to play a certain style of receiver. I think a lot of young players look at receivers as all one big group. They don't look at them like people that have different skills and strengths. They may know that a guy is fast or another guy is quick or maybe something like this guy is little or this guy is big, but they don't really evaluate them in enough depth to say, "OK, this guy is quick but he doesn't do this as well. Now how can I try to force him to do that." That is the type of in-depth breakdown you start to learn as you go through the process of learning how to play the game at this level.

Q: Do you see yourself and your personality in Maurice Carthon?

A: I hope not. For his sake, I hope he doesn't have my personality. No, Maurice is his own guy. Just because he's the one guy that's been with me the longest, people have a tendency to say this is "Little" Bill. It's really not like that at all. He is his own guy, and I admire him very much. I like him very much personally, and I think he is a real good dynamic young coach. I think Maurice has a very good future in this league.

Maurice worked hard as a player, and he is putting in the work now to be a good coach. He started with me as an offensive assistant and kept after it each year, learning and getting better. He loves the game and he loves coaching it.

Q: What makes for consistent play at quarterback?

A: First of all they have to be guys that can protect the football. Then they have to be guys that can manage the game. In order to do that, they have to be able to make key third-down completions, which in turn moves the chains and keeps sustained drives going.

Not everything about being a consistent quarterback falls on that individual though. A lot depends on the supporting cast they have around them. If he has receivers that can get enough separation, does he have linemen good enough to give him the protection he needs to get the pass off and things like that. I just think quarterbacks - the successful ones - seem to be able, regardless of the situation, to get their teams down the field and score points. Then there are others who are picturesque passers, but don't put the points on the board. I've seen some of those as well.

Q: While your defense played well in 2003, are you worried about the lack of big plays they were able to create?

A: I don't think that is the case at all because we made a lot of plays on defense. A lot. I would say our group probably made more than most teams. We won a lot of games because of our defense.

We play a lot of man-to-man defense in our secondary, and that style of play is never very conducive to generating interceptions. But at the same time, I think our guys did a nice job of playing within the system and making sure we didn't give up the big play that could get us beat.

There are certainly things that we can continue to improve on and those are what we have been working on these last five months. We have to continue to work this year to eliminate the dumb penalties that hurt us at times last season. They were very, very instrumental in some of our losing efforts. We have to eliminate some of those. We also have to eliminate some key turnovers on offense. We asked a lot of our defense at times last year to come up with a stop after a turnover and that can get tough. We were successful last season when we held onto the football. When we've not, we haven't.
  2. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great stuff Tuna

Where did this interview come from???
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    If one were to actually use their intellect and see the writing on the wall, this interview is the most significant key to what Parcells is thinking in regard to the quarterback position.

This is a direct slap at Quincy. Because Parcells will not tolerate the turnovers as he has in the past with this guy.

No excuses. Just results.

Don't tell me about the line play. The WR's. The runningback. Get the freakin first down and the touchdown.

So who does Parcells think caused the team to be 10-6?

Here is your answer in a nutshell. The defense.

So, Quincy turns the ball over and we have had to ask the defense to hold. Quincy turned the ball over more than any other player on the team. This comment can be directed at only one current player on this squad.

Now factor in that Parcells was a leading proponent in getting Henson on the team.

Note in the body of the interview he stated Successful quarterbacks.

The signals are there for those that wish to look.

This isn't about the press annointing anyone. This is the coach who is laying it on the line.

This isn't about a back-up player proving something against one of the worst teams in the league last year.

This is the guy who evaluates everyone wearing the star and issuing the edict that turnovers and fieldgoals instead of touchdowns will not be accepted this season.

Don't turn over the ball and get the first downs to sustain drives is all that will be considered as the measuring stick for success from now on with our fourth year rookie.

Ultimatum? Challenge? Threat?

Paint it as you choose, but Big Bill is setting the table for Mr. Carter.

Get it done or say goodbye. I am grooming other options if you can't make it happen.

This is where the rubber meets the road.
  4. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    What is so new about the fact that "successful" QB's are the ones that make things happen regardless of the situation?

He ALSO said "Not everything about being a consistent quarterback falls on that individual though. A lot depends on the supporting cast they have around them. If he has receivers that can get enough separation, does he have linemen good enough to give him the protection he needs to get the pass off and things like that...."

Interesting that he ALSO said "They were very, very instrumental in some of our losing efforts." Is this not a slap in the face of our defense as well?

As far as QC committing the most turnovers on the team, that is the case with MOST NFL teams. Their QB's also fumble when getting sacked and throw INT's. How many turnovers did Culpepper have this past year? He was also a fumble waiting to happen. Running backs don't committ more turnovers than QB's.....show me a team where the QB isn't the main individual that turn's the ball over. There may be one, however, the fact remains that the QB position is the position in the team that committs the most turnovers.

Let's not pick this interview apart and assume things.

BTW, I'd still like to see in BP's own words that HE was the one that was instrumental in getting Henson here. I've seen writers suggest it, but as we all know, BP is pretty tight-lipped.

Sure, this could have been about Quincy or it could just be what he wants to see in ANY QB that he sees.

Let the flaming begin. :rolleyes:
  5. InParcellsWetrust

InParcellsWetrust New Member

137 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree that Quincy has to get alot better and that his displayed weaknesses this year aren't goin to fly over with Parcells, but Parcells said at the end of last season the entire team needs improvement.

Carter wasn't just the one man he pointed a finger at! the defense needs to do alot better rushing and sacking the quaterback and causing more turnovers mainly INT's and fumbles

The running game needs to be more consistant

The O line needs to stay healthy and consistant

There is no excuse for the number of dropped passes both Bryant and Glenn had last year

and the blocking at times was terrible

so lets not point all the fingers directly at one man he's not the entire team just one part of it
  6. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,745 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I don't think his comments about the QB are any different than those he has made since he has been here. It doesn't seem like he's slamming QC, just setting expectations.

However, I think the comments about the defense winning a lot of games for us absolutely proves those posters wrong who were arguing that our 10-6 record was not due to the defense.
  7. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,274 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I dont think BP is trying to single any one player out like most ppl here seem to think. He's speaking of the QB and other positions in general. Now, since QC is the qb, it could be assumed that BP is speaking of him and his weak points indirectly. By picking apart sentences anyone can draw just about any conclusion they want from it.

As much as it seems that he's jabbing QC with his statements he could just as well be taking jabs at others on the roster as well with statements like this:

8. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wish all you guys had been around TwoDeep3 as long as I have (It's been almost 3 1/2 years nows).

This post is progress. :D

The table is set for every NFL QBs prospect.

Some just chose to believe in a certain type of QB and totally dismiss others.

I chose to recognize the learning curve and factors that go into having a successful QB.

Grooming is just a cute analogy. Every young NFL QB prospect that has earned a start in the NFL is being groomed. Some get over the hump some don't. 99% struggle. Some chose to believe they can determine which Prosepcts can get over the hump, if they really did I doubt they'd be spreading their science via a team internet furm. Though, it's fun for debate :D .

I guess if Henson eventually gets the reins and performs poorly (as expected - NFL history doesn't lie) we'll all just keep smiling because he's being GROOMED
  9. TwoDeep3

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    You just don't get it.

Signing Drew Henson = tick tock, Quincy.
  10. InParcellsWetrust

InParcellsWetrust New Member

137 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jumping the gun with Henson aren't we? I mean this kid like Hutch hasn't seen action in some time and there is no guarentees that Henson works out so until we can prove Henson got the goods I think talking about him like he's the 2nd coming of Troy Aikman should be put on hold
  11. TwoDeep3

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    henson is a synbol of what Parcells is attempting.

Finding solutions to Quincy.

It doesn't matter what the guys name is.

But it's tick tock for carter nonetheless.
  12. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,543 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    That quote about being instrumental was refering to STUPID PENALTIES.
    Go back and read it again.

Glad to see it's not just my posts you mis-read! :D
  13. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey Blindzebra,

I remember we had a little conversation where I stated that Parcells believes Carter has a chance or soemthing along those lines.

You mentioned that Parcells stated that Henson has thrown some passes that
    no other QB on our roster can throw. I was really looking forward to seeing the quote and when and where it was made.

Still looking???
  14. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    BZ,

Was that not about our DEFENSE? How was it misread? Go back and read it again. He was talking about the defense at that time, NOT the offense.

Again, show me where I mis-read it.
  15. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Just like I'm still awaiting a quote from BP's own words from somebody about Henson.
  16. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,543 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    I read it as penalties in general, that follows when he brings up turnovers on the offense in the next sentence.
  17. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    So it wasn't mis-read.....

Thanks for the apology. :rolleyes: :D
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,686 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Very true. You have to be naive to believe otherwise. Quincy had better stepup up big time or he's a goner.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Its a good thing the Cowboys never sold official Hutchinson jerseys. Some of you guys would have flushed $100 down the toilet.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    It is pretty clear that it is about stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. Pre-snap penalties are what I remember him saying last season were the stupid penalties like false starts; something Andre Gurode had a big problem with.