DE Charles Tapper feels 'better than ever', ready to hit QBs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

88,277 Messages
    11,242 Likes Received
    Make no mistake about it, the Dallas Cowboys have a trick or two up there proverbial sleeve when it comes to shoring up their ailing pass rush.

Many are pleading with the team to make it rain in NFL free agency, while others cite how insanely deep the draft is this year -- both factions seemingly forgetting the Cowboys have not one, but two, redshirt pass rushers set to debut in 2017.

Rookie linebacker Jaylon Smith and defensive end Charles Tapper were both drafted with the expectation they'd make tremendous impact on the field and, after not taking a snap in 2016 due to injury, they're both ready to be the next big stars out of what has already been a historic draft class.

For his part, Tapper wants the world to know he's in the best shape of his life -- which is saying a lot coming from a DE that outran wide receivers at the 2016 NFL Combine.

He recently spoke on ESPN radio's "J Dub City" with Jean Jacques-Taylor and Will Chambers to explain further, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:

Will Chambers: We saw last year and heard about the back issue. Just wondering 1) what happened there? And [2)], how are you now? Where are we at with the injury?

Charles Tapper: I have a birth defect, it's called 'L5 pars defect.' ... Me not being in the best shape coming to the Cowboys was what happened to me. Coming from OU I was sitting about 275-280 [pounds]. So coming here I was about 280, 275 trying to play a five-technique. As we all know [Rod] Marinelli, he didn't like that. So he was running and running me. It's kinda more of a fatigue injury I would say than injury of any sorts. Right now I'm feeling better than I ever felt in my life condition-wise, core-wise, strength, flexibility and everything.

So what is "Pars Defect", you ask?

"A pars defect of the lumbar spine involves a part of a vertebra called the pars interarticularis. Roughly translated, that means "the part between two joints." A defect in the pars is a break in this portion of bone. This break leads to a separation of the upper, front portion of the vertebra from its lower, back portion." - LiveHealthy.chron.com.

Management of the condition is ongoing and treatment/physical therapy is provided as needed, which could include wearing a back brace and more. After landing on the team's injured reserve list last season, it sounds like Tapper finally has the condition under control and expects it to be a nonissue going forward.

As far as what he can do for the Cowboys now that he feels terrific?

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/DE-Charles-Tapper-feels-better-than-ever-ready-to-hit-QBs-51788027

adbutcher and Bleu Star like this.
  2. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

26,289 Messages
    8,133 Likes Received
    I'm so looking forward to seeing Tapper & Smith out there wrecking fools!

LocimusPrime, Trouty, Proximo and 5 others like this.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

88,277 Messages
    11,242 Likes Received
    Myself, they both have their fair share of critics to silence.

Kolemmitt and Bleu Star like this.
  4. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

26,289 Messages
    8,133 Likes Received
    The "crickets" party will be epic.

5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

5,602 Messages
    1,298 Likes Received
    I'm excited about Tapper, I think he will be a very good edge rusher for us.

negativecreep likes this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

38,480 Messages
    45,807 Likes Received
    I would be stunned if he's not an all pro next year.

7. bud914

bud914 Member Zone Supporter

46 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Tapper ran a blazing 4.59 40-yard dash at the Combine, and that was a 270 pounds -- which is now reportedly 15-20 pounds heavier than he is currently.

so 250-255. seems a bit light but maybe that will work for him. I too am hopeful...

8. Falco78

Falco78 Active Member

204 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I wanna see him wreck some QB's

9. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    17,484 Likes Received
    Man, l hopeTapper develops. Smith...he could be a game changer! Very excited about the possibilities.

10. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

14,496 Messages
    3,694 Likes Received
    I dunno.........history tells us back injuries and DE's aren't a good mix.

JBond, LocimusPrime, Trouty and 2 others like this.
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

6,215 Messages
    5,230 Likes Received
    Just noticed this on Tapper's draft profile, lol:

[​IMG]

12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

15,752 Messages
    16,666 Likes Received
    The only chance this season has is if Tapper, Irving, and Smith are legit, and the draft is a gold mine.

Trouty and phildadon86 like this.
  13. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Well-Known Member

6,882 Messages
    3,411 Likes Received
    :rolleyes: Sure he feels great now, it's the off season. Let's see him get through OTAs and training camp still feeling great.

14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

7,920 Messages
    1,355 Likes Received
    I'm just wondering when Jaylon became a pass rusher.

He might need to wear a cape on the field for as much is said about him.

GhostOfPelleur likes this.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

38,480 Messages
    45,807 Likes Received
    What history is there with pars defect?

16. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,293 Messages
    10,310 Likes Received
    Come to me my "War Daddy."

17. GhostOfPelleur

GhostOfPelleur Well-Known Member

892 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Smith is a MLB. That does not equal pass rusher. Tapper may have some raw athleticism but he's not exactly a premiere rush guy either. If we get 6 sacks out of him I'll be happy

18. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

5,502 Messages
    2,622 Likes Received
    Am I the only one a bit skeptical? "Birth defect in a vertebra is now under control" doesn't exactly instill confidence in me. This sounds like something that will possibly flair up at anytime. Extra running in training camp caused him to miss an entire year? No surgery to correct anything, just a year off and some physical therapy as needed? The whole thing spells trouble ahead to me. Hope I'm 100% wrong.

19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

15,752 Messages
    16,666 Likes Received
    Actually, Smith is a middle linebacker that Notre Dame would line up wide as a pass rusher on third and long.

unionjack8 likes this.
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,293 Messages
    10,310 Likes Received
    I can understand your skepticism.