1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DE Ezekiel Ansah Scouting Report

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    DE Ezekiel Ansah-BYU
    Height: 6’5
    Weight: 270 lbs.
    Grade: 7.5 (Grading Scale)

Athleticism
    +Explosive coming out of his stance, is able to rush with both power and speed
    +Big prospect with long arms, very well filled out
    +He’s able to transition from one rush move to another due to natural balance
    +Uses great leg drive on his bull rush to walk to offensive lineman back into the pocket
    +Phenomenal change of direction ability
    +Rare blend of athleticism where he is just as good with his strength moves as he is with his speed moves
    +Top-end speed to play LB if he was needed there, already drops into coverage and makes plays in coverage
    +He has a great motor whether he’s chasing down the QB or chasing down a RB from the backside
    +Delivers the blow when he hits you, he’s not a drag down tackler, when he hits you, you’re going down
    +Natural bend around the edge to turn the corner and get to the QB
    -Still learning how to play with his body type, at times still has an awkward moment where he’s not sure what to do with hands
    -Lack of time in football has him struggle with some recognition plays where he will bite on fakes or take himself out of plays by design
    -What position is he in the NFL? May need to add or lose weight moving forward

Intelligence/Effort
    +Developing play reading ability, he showed a lot of growth in this area this year
    +Does well to monitor the QB on his rush and if he breaks to run or winds up to throw Ansah reacts properly
    +Never ending motor, he’s the kind of defender that is just as happy getting a QB sack as he is chasing down a WR 50 yards down the field who thought he was going to score easily
    -Having only played football for three years his Awareness and Football IQ are lower than most prospects
    -Struggles with some of the misdirection and zone read style of plays
    -Will allow teams to take advantage of his up field pass rush by running draws to his side, until he counters it

Pass Rush
    +Explosion out of his stance allows him to beat the OT to the spot whenever he wants
    +When he uses his arms and hands properly he’s almost impossible to engage
    +Generates a ton of power and strength through his lower body, is able to lift the OL almost completely out of his stance
    +Can rush from the DE, DT, or OLB spots, could be a huge asset for a creative defensive coordinator
    +His length presents a problem for most OT’s, even if you block him he still has the ability to get his long arms into the passing lanes
    +Has begun understanding how to set up and utilize certain moves to counter what offenses are trying to do to him
    +When he’s really feeling it, he’ll start using combination moves to get the OL moving one way just to beat him the opposite
    +Seems to find that next gear when he has the QB in his sights
    -When he is blocked effectively it’s often because he gets too high out of his stance
    -His hand usage needs to get better when it comes to shedding blocks

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/12/de-ezekiel-ansah-scouting-report/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Been saying if this guy is there when they pick, got a feeling he could be the guy.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I like him, watched him play a few times and he always stands out, going to have to put on some weight to play the 34 which I think he could. He will be a late 1st pick
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,106 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received
    If anybody could be the next JJ Watt, It would be this guy.

It will be interesting to see his weight at the combine.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I like the story and everything, but for us to even think about taking him in the 1st is crazy to me. Way too much of a project. I can see the NFL being a rude awakening for this kid unfortunately. If he was a 3rd round prospect I'd be on his bandwagon, but a 1st round pick for an athlete who no real knowledge or skill in football is way too much. There's going to be a long learning curve for him in the NFL.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,802 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    He's the roll of the dice boom or bust pick in this draft. From Ghana. One year of productivity. He only started playing football a few years ago.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,802 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    I thought the same thing about JPP.
  8. xwalker

10,106 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received
    He does not look as raw in games as the scouting reports make it sound, IMO.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I understand potential and I'm not saying he can't be great, but he's still a huge risk that I'm not willing to take with my 1st round pick. Like I said, 3rd round pick and I'd be all over him

But do you guys really think he could take over for Spencer next year? That's not even in the realm of possibility in my opinion.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    He'll be a hand on the ground guy IMO. If he wows at the combine, Jerry will get stars in his eyes and see JPP, you can bank on it. Remember he wants to be like the Giants.
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Hand on the ground guy as in just a nickel pass rush guy? Or a 3-4 DE?
  12. chuch

chuch Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This. He's more instinctive and technically sound than some other prospects.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    He would be askd to gain weight and be a 34 de, no way could he be a OLB
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    If he's there-Cowboys have to take a long hard look.

When you combine this type of athlete with that kind of motor and mix in a strong desire to improve, you have a winner.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,077 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    This is a guy that the Senior Bowl will really make a difference. And The Combine.

But a top 20 pick? That is a little high right now. More like a early second round pick.

But if you are convinced this guy is going to be a top Pass rusher how do you pass on him?

This could be the guy to replace Dware or at the least Spencer
  16. xwalker

10,106 Messages
    2,955 Likes Received
    Ansah must be a really quick learner. Despite have zero previous football experience, they have him lining up all over their defense.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    He is a very difficult player to evaluate, IMO. When they say he needs to work on his hand use, they are not kidding. He doesn't use his long arms to his advantage, lets guys get into his body. I wouldn't hate the pick, but it would be awfully hard to pass on a solid OL prospect or a productive pass rusher for him.
  18. Thatkidbob

Thatkidbob Member

337 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Agreed. Athletic + High motor is a formula for success in the trenches
  19. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I think he would be a solid 2nd round pick, but I'd rather see us trade down in the first and take Reid (LSU) and pick up an extra 2nd or third for OLB or OL.
  20. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Umm, He's athletic enough. He plays OLB for BYU.